Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sub Or No Sub?!

Lipscombe12

I'm totally useless when it comes to cars but I'm a new driver and driving an 06 1800i Avensis. I'm going to be driving a lot and would like a good stereo system. I was thinking about changing the Speakers etc but after doing some brief research it seems quite tricky!

I like the idea of a sub as I love bass and what not, would you advise to have a sub? and if so, how would I go about it?

Thank you!

I have an 8" sub in my Hilux fitted in such a way that it takes zero boot space.. and left the Speakers stadnard for now.

It totally transformed the way it sounds, music is far richer, and I can be a hooligan when I'm in the mood :D

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/219636_10150290078269815_8064545_o.jpg

(Link to pic as it is huge...)

No way, looks awesome! My mate is selling a box sub, it's and Edge Street 512A, 900 Watts - do you think this would be okay?

And I want to be a hooligan at times too ha :D

Thanks!

That sounds like an "all in one" amplified box...

That should be fine, easy to install too with no custom cutting or fabricating (mine took forever lol), and you can always remove it if you need boot space... Ideal place to start.

One thing, do you have a stadnard Toyota headunit, or something aftermarket? The Toyota one might not have the outputs to plug a sub in which will add complications...

:D

Yes I think it is, yeah nothing has been changed since It was first purchased...do you know how I'd get around this?

I would like a new stereo but it seems it would be difficult to change as it has the built in SatNav and everything :/

Hi,

Long time ago a friend of mine, who worked in the airforce, installed 2 jetfighter landing lights under the front bumper of his chevrolet impala.

When he switched them on, the lights drew so much current that the engine stopped. :(

I think they were 900 watts each...

I would say: No Sub. :)

If you install a good head unit and fit good quality Speakers, you will get a better sound. make sure the Speakers are mounted on baffle boards made with MDF, and not fixed to the metal door frames. I changed my Speakers from the original ones as they had blown or fell apart. Try the above first.

With most head units you have pre-outs to add an extra amp or sub/amp combination.

The amp will need it's on power supply and a good earth, or you will have problems. Some peole fit a capacitor to help with th current.

I have had subs in the past and it was great. A bit old now, plus I need the boot space to carry my bike.

I think the idea is she wants to keep the factory sat nav, which is fair enough, - I would too.

How easy it is to put a sub in there depends slightly on the factory headunit, I'm no avensis expert so I can't answer that I'm afraid! it might be worth finding out what model it is and gooling it, someone of the interwebs would have done it....

If you are lucky it will have some kind of pre out that you can use for either the powered sub you suggested, or an amp/sub combo, if you are not so lucky it can still be done, there are kits out there what will take the speaker signlas and convert them to a more suitible signal for plugging an amp (or sub!) off...

There is always a way round!

Thermal :laughing: My Hilux has 600w of forward facing light with all the spots turned on... it is enough to drain the Battery even when the engine is running :dontgetit:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links