Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Knock (Again!) After Dealer Fix

thedeanobeano

My gen 3 2010 is now up to 76k and is generally running OK

Back in the winter I had the dealer perform the modification (?new air intake manifold etc) to prevent the rattle on start up (After starting the engine and switching off before it has warmed up)

In the last week the noise has come back on two occasions.

This is in the summer, dry conditions.

I thought the problem only occurred in cold weather with condensed moisture in the intake?

The noise went on for about 25 secs.

I managed to capture the end of it on my phone

available here:

Strangely, I tried to move the car in EV mode, but the car ignored the request (Battery SOC OK) and started the engine straightaway - ie there was no gap between ready and the engine starting

Does this problem cause any damage?

I have a Toyota extended warranty.

Good report dude.

Does anyone know the Toyota reference number (TSB?) for this issue? I had my gen 3 serviced two weeks ago. I mentioned the problem and that the fix needed applied, but the dealer didn't seem to know anything about it. They reassured me that all outstanding program upgrades had been applied to my car during the service, so I agreed to just keep a watchful eye (ear?) on things.

It's great having the video - proof positive that we're not talking out of our hats on this; tangible evidence for Toyota to get their hands on.

so anyone else had this problem reoccur after having the fix applied?

There was a previous thread on this subject at http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=118916&hl=startup&st=0 that includes another video of the problem.

You can also find more information on priuschat including a survey of numbers of cars affected at http://priuschat.com/threads/1-8l-starting-rattle-knock-events.86722/