Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starter Motor On A 4.3 2.2?

Gods_gift

Howdy all

Had to bump start the beast today after it failed to start (boo hiss boo), main symptom slow cranking (been doing it since had the engine done), Battery appears fine at 12.6v and almost started on it's own once. So my guess is the starter motor has had it.

So three questions...

Where can I get a starter motor from new or reconditioned online (not paying Mr T prices) anywhere recommended?

Any one got a fitting guide?

Finally does anyone have a list of tools required as I might have to fit it in a muddy field? (currently camping near St Ives and want to make sure I have all the right spanners and sockets before I start).

Cheers

Simon

Ps additional bonus question is there a volt meter buried in the dash computer service menus?

Hi Simon, this could be something as simple as resistance in the starter circuit.

Maybe someone did not tighten all the electrical connections properly

It would be worth checking Battery connections and earth cables,is there an earth cable fitted between the starter mounting bolt and the car body ?

It often pays to check the simple things first

Given in good faith.

Del

Were you advised about the starter?

You could try the usual motor factors or maybe a breaker. It might just be quicker to go to a dealer and cough up. Don't forget Kingo. Here is a guide;

FTV Starter.pdf

Yes they did warn me but weird thing was starter was fine on the old engine an I didnt have £300 odd quid at the time having just paid £400 for the clutch. Im wondering about the wiring now an if the earth is playing up any ideas how to test I have a multimeter with me.

I'll ping Kingo for a quote too. Just have to park on top of hills.

Yes they did warn me but weird thing was starter was fine on the old engine an I didnt have £300 odd quid at the time having just paid £400 for the clutch. Im wondering about the wiring now an if the earth is playing up any ideas how to test I have a multimeter with me.

I'll ping Kingo for a quote too. Just have to park on top of hills.

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you checked that all the engine to chassis earth connections are clean/secure? I got mine back from the dealer after they fitted reversing sensors & found that they hadn't "tidied up" after themselves, e.g. rubber boots not refitted, etc. Included was the earth wire between the engine & the chssis which they had not re-connected!

If you put a volt meter across the Battery and crank the starter, it shouldn't drop to less than 9.6 volts. If it does the starter is drawing too much current. It will not turn over the newer engine as the compression may be slightly higher but it will definitely be tighter.

£359 on Euro Carparts;

http://www.eurocarparts.com/starter-motor

Kingo might do better???

Other than that it is breakers yard.

Don thanks indeed Kingo has done better but im going to have a good look at my existing starter when I get home as im not convinced it's shot.

For now I've adopted the sport/system that most VW camper vans seem to use (park on the hill) which is a bit like watching a bloke do the run up for the long jump.

Ian thanks for that link very interesting.

I think the link is more for a clicking starter but at a tenner it is worth getting a kit and giving it a good clean out. If you get into the motor part you might fing 2 pairs of brush gear. Make sure none are sticking. If they are can get a pair of old dynamo brushes and cut them to push in on top of the existing ones. It will work successfully as long as the windings aren't U/S.

• 2 weeks later...

Balls! Was working fine all last week then this morning slow crank and then a puff of smoke from the starter area. Let it cool down tried starting again an just get a clicking noise which I guess is the relay. Time to breakout the tools :(

Any ideas how you get the bottom bolt off the starter? Top one came off fine but the bottom one is tighter than a ducks butt! Seems to be in an impossibly tight gap to get a bar on too.

Also noticing a lot of what I'd describe as soot smattered all over the right side of the engine bay, doesn't seem to be near the starter (I'll post a pic when I find me phone).

Right update folks, I removed and replaced the starter yesterday and all is well. Was a 3 to 4 spanner job and probably easier if two people do it. It has to be tackled from above and below and the trick is to take the throttle body air hose off first to get better access. The lower front cross bar gets in the way of getting a decent sized 17mm spanner or bar on the bottom starter motor bolt. Mine was so tight I had to improvise with a bit of 'rally mechanicing' involving a short 17mm spanner a ratchet strap and my trusty engine crane (was not for the faint hearted).

Kingo can get the starter motors for the same price as your local motor factors but they aren't cheap! I didn't use kingo's services this time round as speed was of the essence and I needed the motor back on the road within 48 hrs of it going wassit up. Not saying Kingo is slow to deliver here either, it's because he has to order a refurb unit and then send it to you. My local motor factors NCC could get the unit sameday so I used their services and without any bartering they came out with the same price.

Why didn't I fit new? well cause it's hard to get a 'new new' starter and the only economic option is a refurb which is still bonkers expensive for a starter motor. I opted for a Lucas refurb circa £265.

Why did the old unit fail? It looked to me after limited testing and visual inspection that the solenoid had packed up eventually and the grey plastic cover of the Battery lead had heat damage. This was melted due to the Battery lead to starter wire contact corroding and the current arcing to overcome the resistance. There was severe heat damage to the 10mm retaining nuts and spring washer which had welded themselves to the starter motor contact. I couldnt sus out if this was due to the solenoid failing and the current draw arcing or if the corrosion of the wire contact had caused such a situation.

Took 4 hours to get the starter out due to that seized bolt and 1 hour to refit. Tools required small hands, 10mm socket and spanner, 17mm socket and spanner, 12 mm socket and weirdly one bolt required a 14mm. Oh two person job and dry wether :)

• 4 years later...

Anyone got the fitting/removal guide for the starter the link above doesn't work anymore?

The recon one has lasted 4 years!