Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update On The Pesky Engine Light!

flyboyprowler

Hello all, from a sunny but very warm Spain1

I posted before about the "eng" light on our 2003 VVTi auto. An update----

Previously the light came on after a 6 1/2 hour run to Portugal from Spain, and remained on till returning to Spain, where my local friendly mechanic cleaned an injector, the sensors and seemingly cured the problem. We then took the car to Bilbao, a 10 hour run, and ferried to UK, and on arrival, the light came on for a few days and then on its own accord went off. 8 weeks in UK, while the car has had a full service including plugs, etc, after which we have just driven back from Spain. 3 days, 8 hours for two days, and 9 1/2 on the last day, and as we got home, the light came on!! 3 days later it is off again.

SO, the problem seems to be related to long runs, and has anyone had any similar experience, and, it has been suggested that bad petrol could be the cause, but I do avoid supermarket fuel, both here in Spain and in the UK. The car runs perfectly, uses no oil, and should have no reason to misbehave.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks, really frustrated!

Ainsley

I strongly recommend getting a code reader for about £10 on eBay. They really are a useful tool.

As Joylove has said, it's worth investing in a code reader. Usual suspects are the 4 sensors. Can sometimes clear of their own wish but can eventually stay on.

I strongly recommend getting a code reader for about £10 on eBay. They really are a useful tool.

Yes thanks Bob,

I did buy a code reader, in fact the one you recommended before, but stupidly left it in UK. We are back early September, so will bring it back out, and let you know the codes. As I understand it, there was nothing shown when Toyota did the service.

Yes thanks Bob,

I did buy a code reader, in fact the one you recommended before, but stupidly left it in UK. We are back early September, so will bring it back out, and let you know the codes. As I understand it, there was nothing shown when Toyota did the service.

Ah I thought I recognised the poster. Yep, get the code reader back, stick it in the glovebox with pen & paper, when the light comes on, have a look to see what the problem is and post it up here. It's a weird one, to be coming on only after a long drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have the same engine light problem on my 2003 RAV4. Only twice sofar but also on longer journeys and higher speeds. The car is new to me so I don't know true service history. A friend has done the diagnostics and the Fault Code is P1349. Checking online indicates that this is linked to the VVTi and there is a service bulletin TSB EG009-03.

Has anyone had this problem and fixed it please?The dealership were asking 35UKP plus VAT just to run the diagnostics!!

Thanks

My engine light has been on ad my mechanic had the lumbar sensor replaced and it has gone out. The only thing was one of the other sensors now needs replacing. My mechanic has said to ignore it???

My engine light has been on ad my mechanic had the lumbar sensor replaced and it has gone out. The only thing was one of the other sensors now needs replacing. My mechanic has said to ignore it???

If you don't mind me saying, he is not much of a mechanic if he said to ignore a warning light ;)

It would be a LAMBDA sensor is my guess, not a lumbar sensor, they are quite a common fault

Kingo :thumbsup:

It would be a LAMBDA sensor is my guess, not a lumbar sensor, they are quite a common fault

Strictly speaking, we used to call them lambada sensors and the fault can lead you a merry dance. :unsure:

......I'll get me coat. :no:

after that terrible post shcm....

I always work on the principle of if someone (Toyota) has paid to develop a warning signal, then it probably pays in the long run to resolve it properly without resorting to ignoring or removing the bulb. far more expensive for a replacement car than a replacement sensor.

now you can ignore me and the warning :-)

I'm the one in a yellow frock with the G string :eek::naughty:

• 3 months later...

I got a sensor fault code and cleared it. It hasn't come back. Do these things fail gradually or once and for all?

Or to put it another way, is this a real warning or a mere glitch?

Your photo always makes me grin!

The oxygen only needs to go out of range for a split second for it to through up a fault. If the values inside the exhaust don't tie up with those on the outside it will go out of range. Therefor, it could just be a moment when you change gear or take your foot off the accelerator that causes it. Of course you could be getting a warning that one is on the blink but I wouldn't worry just yet.