Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 1997 Stereo & Clutch

Kentman

Hi All,

Just purchased a 1997 (P) 5 door and as I have yet to get a Haynes manual, I have a couple of queries which I am sure someone can help with.

1. It still has the original Sony cassette stereo. Naturally this won't do so I have a new Pioneer head unit to replace the antique. The main problem I have is how to get the old beast out. Normally on a stereo I'm sure the thin rectangular trim around it just lifts off (as on my new one) and you can then get the removal tools to slip down each side. The trim on this seems firmly attached to the main body - am I supposed to remove it by unscrewing the half dozen or so small cross head screws on the fascia? Or is there some other method? Any other tips re changing the stereo? I have already got a cable converter thing which hopefully will do the connections.

2. When accelerating, at around 2000 rpm, and more noticeable when cold, I get a slight 'wobble' through the chassis. It's too slow to describe as a judder, more the kind of feeling you'd get if you were driving on a massively buckled wheel. It's not a major problem, the car drives perfectly otherwise, the engine sounds and feels nice (even though its done 121000 miles) and I get no hint of clutch slip. Does this 'wobbling' indicate an worn clutch or some other transmission defect? If I coast at the same road speed, there's no trace of it. If it is the clutch, what's the best price I'm likely to get to have it replaced, as it seems to be a bit of a big job?

Cheers

For the radio on a Sony the bezel is usually fixed on and the metal strips go in behind the removable faceplate. If it's so old the faceplate is stuck on and screws are visible, maybe post some pics?

I would look at the prop shaft centre bearing. If the rubber mountings are damaged it will wobble under load.

Thanks for the advice - would replacing this be do-able DIY or am I looking at a garage job?

Centre prop bearing is a favourite on those and also the U shaped mounting on the rear axle/diff, although that usually makes a clunking noise, both are a DIY job if you are handy enough

Kingo :thumbsup: