Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'clunk'

mystic

Im having a slight problem with my rav. When eithr pressing in the clutch or taking your foot of the gas you get a big clunk, It's difficult to change gears smoothly . I'm 99% sure it's not the clutch so i took a look underneath and wondered if it is normal to have play in the propshaft that comes from the front transfer box?

I can turn it and it makes quite a clunk which would explain the problem im having as it feel like when ever you take torque off the propshaft by either letting off the accelerator or dipping the clutch, as it takes up the slack again, it makes that clunking noise. So im think maybe a worn bearing?

I have a short video which shows the amount of movement i have turning it by hand and if the audio works you can also hear the noise.

Thansk for any advise

Attachment isnt showing so uploaded it to youtube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=38h4c3wy3kU

Not watched the link but a noise like that usually signifies worn bearings on the universal joints on the propshaft.

Dont think the shafts are like the ones of yore when you could replace the bearings and yoke,so it means changing the shaft.

Try a scrappers as I dont think this is a common problem since sealed bearings were fitted to the shafts making them maintainance free

Del

Fairly sure that is normal. I'd check the engine/transmission moutings and the exhaust.

i'd check with shaft cross joint needle bearing

regards

• 2 weeks later...

coming in rather late but might it be the rear diff mount ??

I had the bearings go on my propshaft (on a different car) and the main symptom was vibration whilst accelerating.

If you have NO vibration I think it may be something else.

Dave

Well , i'm gonna have to back up the OP , i have the same problem more or less...

i can feel it for sure when i step on the gas in 2nd or 3rd and then lift off...

it's about the same noise when you shift up rather fast , and release the clutch fast...

... i also experience a small bump forward together with the noise , like a kick in the rear :)

i couldn't see anything abnormal looking at the underside of the car , what am i missing ?

RCT that a good explanation, thats exactly how it feels, that bump you can feel through the whole car, i been looking at all mounting and anything else i can think off but nothing seems out of place.

I'd check the diff mount. A quick fix is to pack the bush with silicon filler to see if it stops the clunk. Won't cost you much anyway!

If that doesn't work then I'd suspect the rear suspension bushes being worn. The 4.2 RAV i9s pretty similar to the 4.1 downstairs.

On the 4.3 I can't comment as I haven't looked at these at all.

I remember that around 80k miles was when I had to replace the rear bushes.

how does the "on-demand 4x4" work ? isn't that with an extra clutch or someting ? and can it stick ?

i'm glad that i'm not the only one with this phenomenon :-)

It is a neat little multi-plate clutch on the front of the rear axle. It works in relation to road speed and engine load and can is constantly and steplessly working all the time you are driving. The car always starts from rest in 4WD but backs off as you get going faster until it is eventually a FWD. If you squeeze the accelerator you engage the clutch to some extent.

• 1 month later...

Update / new theory ?

Today i took my Rav for a drive , the first one since i changed back to my winter wheels ( wich are like new... )

... and no "clunking" noise today , now can it have something to do with the fact that :

my summer wheels have fairly new tyres up front , the rear tyres have maybe 4-5mm less thread on them.

so there is a difference in diameter... , could that be it ?

Grtz !

Update / new theory ?

Today i took my Rav for a drive , the first one since i changed back to my winter wheels ( wich are like new... )

... and no "clunking" noise today , now can it have something to do with the fact that :

my summer wheels have fairly new tyres up front , the rear tyres have maybe 4-5mm less thread on them.

so there is a difference in diameter... , could that be it ?

Grtz !

I've always been led to believe that tyre wear is something that 4x4's are sensitive to. If there is a big difference in tread depth between front & rear it can play havoc with the diffs and eventually cause damage. As a result, I've always swapped the tyres front to rear regularly to even out the wear.

So, maybe you've hit on something.

True but I would expect (and in fact I have run with) tyres at each extreme of wear to be within the scope of the transmission

True but I would expect (and in fact I have run with) tyres at each extreme of wear to be within the scope of the transmission

Nevertheless, Bart's comment is interesting, yes?

Maybe that particular configuration of wear is sensitive??? I don't know!

• 8 years later...

hello guys ! RCT , SOO that was the main problem you saying , the tyres? cause i just bought my 2009 rav 4 and is got the same symptoms clunk when release the clutch

10 hours ago, Valeriu said:

hello guys ! RCT , SOO that was the main problem you saying , the tyres? cause i just bought my 2009 rav 4 and is got the same symptoms clunk when release the clutch

Posted October 17, 2012

I suspect the posters might not be around now or have forgotten