Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1999 Toyota Rav New Tires

mike0507

Hey guys,

I have a 1999 Toyota Rav 4 door 4x4 vehicle and I wanted to replace the current 16 inch tires with 18 inch. I currently have the originals which are Bridgestone Dueller's 215/70R16 99s. I would like some recommendations for good 18 inch all season tires.

Also will fuel consumption increase dramatically with an increase tire size and will handling be much different? Thoughts please

check with:

Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S G012

Cooper Discoverer ATR

Falken Landair A/T

Hey guys,

I have a 1999 Toyota Rav 4 door 4x4 vehicle and I wanted to replace the current 16 inch tires with 18 inch. I currently have the originals which are Bridgestone Dueller's 215/70R16 99s. I would like some recommendations for good 18 inch all season tires.

Also will fuel consumption increase dramatically with an increase tire size and will handling be much different? Thoughts please

One presumes you are also changing your wheels....?

Big Kev :fox:

Hey guys,

Don't know about a PC, but from my iPod your writing is invisible. Don't know what colour you used, but it doesn't work!

Dave

???? fine on both my iPad and PC

Gus

Edit: cant help the OP though, not so good on Wheels/Tyres, although I seem to remember a calculator being put on here to calculate speedo difference, you really need to speak to Bothy as I have a sneaky feeling there were issues, which reminds me is Bothy ok I havent seen him on here for a while?

Thanks for the suggestions igormus!!! Really appreciate it and after further research the Yokohama Geolandar have really good reviews

Big Kev yes I am getting new wheels as well

Thanks for the suggestions igormus!!! Really appreciate it and after further research the Yokohama Geolandar have really good reviews

Big Kev yes I am getting new wheels as well

I can see your writing now! Yokohama Geolandar all the way for me. On my 2nd set and they perform well in snow and dry. Wear isn't the "best" but pretty good (30k if you're good to them?)

Dave

Hey guys,

I reckon that you will need to think about re-calibtating your speedometer as I would guess it will under-read with the larger dia wheels.

The larger wheels should improve mpg although in-gear performance will be affected but I'm no expert & it might be an idea to talk it over with somebody who is.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still alive and kicking unfortunately for some. Just been in a deep depression since my wife retired (independence curtailed).

On number 2 RAV, I have WP-789 18x8JJ 5x100 ultralite alloys fitted with Nexen 245/45 x18 tyres and have found the road-holding to be superb.

On number 1 I have Dare Drift Diesel alloys in 18x8 fitted with 225/40 x18 Falken tyres stretched over them which does mean the speedo is a good 10% optimistic (ie rolling circumference is smaller)

I use 2 types of alloys as I need wheels that will clear the calipers on number 1 (6 pot KADs with oversize discs). Unfortunately I need another set of Dare alloys but have been trying for months - they seem to be out of stock so will probably go with another set of WP-789s

I can't comment on tyre wear as I drive like a maniac. I did once have a bolt embedded in one of the Falken 472s and it flew out at high speed (100) causing an immediate blow-out which apart from the bang when the bolt hit the inner wing, didn't affect the handling at all. Knew it must have been a bolt from the size of hole left in the tyre tread!