Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting New Front Pads

rob virgo

Hi all

Just called to check daughters 2002 1.0 yaris, it's making a funny sound....

Front brake pads shot, have removed old ones but pistons appear to be jammed fully out due to low pads...

Have a ford etc wind back tool but it wont fit, do they need to be pushed in manually or another way....

Help, car is in bits....lol

Manually.

Best tip is to take a piece of strong wood and try to lever the piston back.. BUT open the bleed screw first - and attach bleed hose- so you have no hydraulic pressure and you do not damage the cylinder seals.

If you do not have a strong enough piece of wood, a crowbar with a piece of wood over the piston.

The problem is corrosion on the exposed part of the piston... any attempt to use WD40 or similar risks ruining the piston seals. so I could not recommend it - but pushing the piston back may ruin the seals anyway.!

Whatever you do, slowly is the way to go: any fast action may damage the seals.

HTH..

It's aways best to open the bleed screw anyway to prevent any crud, water etc., which might have accumulated in the hydraulic cylinder, being pushed back into the system.

Opened the bleed valves lads but need to bleed the brakes now, bled the fronts only and it's not sorting soft pedal.presume I'll have to do the full four corners, what's the order or sequence

Cheers

Start with the furthest away from the brake master cylinder and work to nearest..

You may also have to bleed the clutch which uses the same cylinder.. (I had to when I did it last)

Cheers , clutch was a great tip, always dragged a bit on bite, now sorted as an extra bonus....

Glad you are sorted: :-)