Do Not Sell My Personal Information

White Smoke At Start Up

gavin77

Hi i have a 2010 avensis 2.0 D4D have stared to notice on start up i can get a smell from the exhaust.

So fired it up to day and got out and put my foot in and gave it a couple of revs at about 4000 rpms and some white smoke came out .

Any ideas wot this is now its not like a smoke machine puffing out smoke at a rave .

hello matey

- check an expansion tank -- what is colour of coolant ? (possible head gasket issue ???)

- check with fuel filter drainage -- whether water is available in the filter?

regards / Igor

Thanks for the reply

igormus

​Expansion tank coulor is a healthy looking blue as for check with fuel filter drainage.

Ive no idea where that is .Any way all seems okay now just get a bit of a smell sometimes when i start the car.The smokeing has stopped.

fuel filter is the cylinder shaped unit mounted on the aft bulkhead having black primer 9booster) pump on the lid top

regards / Igor

Hi i have a 2010 avensis 2.0 D4D have stared to notice on start up i can get a smell from the exhaust.

So fired it up to day and got out and put my foot in and gave it a couple of revs at about 4000 rpms and some white smoke came out .

Any ideas wot this is now its not like a smoke machine puffing out smoke at a rave .

Surely its still under warranty ?

Hi dave yep still under warranty dont know weather its me just be paranoid .When i start it and give it a good rev ill get a bit of white smoke but after about 3 minutes of it ticking over and rev hard theirs no smoke ,has for what igormus suggested i may aswell be looking in back end of a donkey .

think ill just pop into mrT on monday.

Sounds like condensation to me, especially as it clears after a few minutes. Way back when I was learning to drive on of the things my instructor taught me to look out for was white exhaust smoke. As he put it 'Cold engine means cold driver' meaning the driver's brain hadn't warmed up yet.

I get white smoke from my bike until the exhaust system has warmed up and, like your car, it takes a few minutes before it clears. It's normal.

Thanks for all the feed back on the above .Brought the car back to MR T they took it in checked glow plugs and a few other things .

ran a diagnostics on it noting showed up.

So they took a sample of the diesel they reckon the diesel was basically rubbish.

They asked where i fill up from and once i said Tesco they said that wots more they likely the problem.

So they drained the tank wasent much in it about 20 euros worth .

Put in about a tenners worth .

all seems fine now no more smoke and no more tesco diesel so.