Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Handbrake Sticking/grabbing

pmb

Passed the mot today but had an advisory for the above. Knew it was doing it as when I release the handbrake on the sloping drive the car justs stays there. Caused by little use over the past few years. What should I look at to remedy this? (apart from using it more) All 4 corners were mentioned. TIA

Bit confused here Paul.

The handbrake only operates on the rear wheels but your post says all 4 wheels are affected.

What exactly did the advisory say ?

Del

Good point crofter. Never gave that a thought Doh. I thought it was the rear brakes only. Advisory does say service brake on all 4 corners , it was that I mentioned it when I took it in that the handbrake seemed to be sticking. Think I initially assumed it meant the handbrake put perhaps isn't. Thanks.

I think that the advisory is added to cover themselves as they do not know what milage you are doing and therefore think that you will wear them down in the next few months,or they may even be trying to drum up some business.It has been known.

Mine has had advisories like that after the test for two years running and still it passed because I am now a low milage driver and tend not to have to brake hard very often.That may not be true,however, in your case

It is easy to make a visual check on how much friction material is left and if there is less than 2.5mm have them changed but bear in mind that discs and pads can form matching surfaces and it may be advisable not to change just the pads.

For safety's sake,if in doubt do get a second independent opinion.

Del.

All the instructions for servicing the brakes are pinned :thumbsup:

Had similar problems with my car after it sat for 15 months........turned out to be siezed/siezeing sliders on the calipers.

Fixed in 90 mins with the workshop manual, a 14mm spanner, some silicone grease and a cotton wool ear-bud. Brakes feel (almost) as good as new now.

Hope this may be of some help.......

oh, and a jack (+axle stands) too..........

Had similar problems with my car after it sat for 15 months........turned out to be siezed/siezeing sliders on the calipers.

Fixed in 90 mins with the workshop manual, a 14mm spanner, some silicone grease and a cotton wool ear-bud. Brakes feel (almost) as good as new now.

Hope this may be of some help.......

interesting I presume you used the service manual as a soft hammer? :cheers:

Gus

Had to use a rubber mallet on one of them.

Although the manual - given it's size - would probably have been more effective thinking about it.........

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links