Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wandering Satnav. (B9004)

Mechman

I have just returned to Lancashire from London. The satnav travelled around the Great North Road, North on the M11 and joined up with the A1 and carried on north on it.

The problem! At the time I was travelling NW on the A40/M40, onto the M42 and the Toll Road.

Stopping there at the services I turned off the unit and removed and reinserted the disc. The biggest upset was when I ran straight through the lawns and greens of a beautiful golf club. After about 10 miles the satnav decided to join us and stayed for the rest of the journey.

The unit has done this on 2 previous occasions but only briefly.

Has anyone experienced this, and has any club member got the usual quick fix?

Regards

Brian

Mine did this on Monday for the first ever. It seemed to just fix itself.

You can manually adjust your position when you are stood still which then brings every thing back on track - very easy to do

Sorry, I should expand, go in to menu, select set up, then scroll down & select calibration, then select adjust & then select adjust position - you can then manually re-calibrate exactly where you are.

I hope this helps.

Sorry, I should expand, go in to menu, select set up, then scroll down & select calibration, then select adjust & then select adjust position - you can then manually re-calibrate exactly where you are.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, will try. It does not do this all the time, today it is fine.

I knew that 1.5GHz transmitter I was building was going to cause trouble. :rolleyes:

They do of course go off road a bit where roads have been slightly re-newed/re-routed and the map data doesn't agree. I've had that, but nothing major.

There are reports of commerical drivers using GPS blockers (transmitters on the GPS freq) to stop on board trackers spying on them. I can't see those throwing the postion off, more like just no reception at all, but, perhaps, maybe. GPS spoofing is also theoretically possible, but more of a challenge than straight blocking.

If it loses GPS position the thing should be partly dead reckoning off vehicle speed anyway.

Low signal levels with only a few sats in view, will throw the position off a fair bit.

Anyway, hopefully you've nothing in line of sight between the windscreen and the top of the centre air vents (The GPS antenna is just above the vents, under the dash), or anything on top of the dash there. There is also a diag mode, where you can check the GPS bird receive levels. It's on here somewhere, I'll try and find it, rather than retyping the whole thing.

I hope you didn't drive right through the Belfry, don't tell Kev. :fear:

EDIT: Into Diag mode here:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=129490entry1151232

I knew that 1.5GHz transmitter I was building was going to cause trouble. :rolleyes:

They do of course go off road a bit where roads have been slightly re-newed/re-routed and the map data doesn't agree. I've had that, but nothing major.

There are reports of commerical drivers using GPS blockers (transmitters on the GPS freq) to stop on board trackers spying on them. I can't see those throwing the postion off, more like just no reception at all, but, perhaps, maybe. GPS spoofing is also theoretically possible, but more of a challenge than straight blocking.

If it loses GPS position the thing should be partly dead reckoning off vehicle speed anyway.

Low signal levels with only a few sats in view, will throw the position off a fair bit.

Anyway, hopefully you've nothing in line of sight between the windscreen and the top of the centre air vents (The GPS antenna is just above the vents, under the dash), or anything on top of the dash there. There is also a diag mode, where you can check the GPS bird receive levels. It's on here somewhere, I'll try and find it, rather than retyping the whole thing.

I hope you didn't drive right through the Belfry, don't tell Kev. :fear:

EDIT: Into Diag mode here:

http://www.toyotaown...0

Interesting. I have just been given a Road Angel by my son for my birthday. Also an antislip mat to go with it, this is a large triangular shaped base sat on what amounts to 3 sand bags. It has the name Egrescent on it. This covers an area larger than my outstetched hand. It was sat on the dash in the centre directly above the Satnav. I have had no trouble since and these occurances are after my birthday. The mat and the Road Angel are not normally in the car and only placed there on non local trips.

Is this shcm to the rescue again?

Many thanks

Brian

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links