Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing Belt Change - 1Cd-Ftv Engine

jumbojake

Timing belt change is due at the next service (do myself) - done my other cars before, but first time on this one.

Any gotcha's waiting for me?

Any special tools needed?

Is a water-pump change also recommended?

I cannot advise you on the belt change, but since the water pump is driven by the belt, it would be wise to change that too.

That's what i did when I owned Vauxhalls, but the pumps were cheap for those cars.

Your engine was never covered by the Haynes manual for the Avensis, but the Rav4 diesel is covered. Someone might help you and point you to the correct technical manual.

Here's a video showing the main points.

As per usual these days there's some piece of electronic junk that has to be watched out for - the mechanic in the video mentions some kind of sensor.

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, my wifes old car was a GM and it appears water pumps are recommended for all of their engines. My other cars didn't have the same recommendation, so not sure for the toyota.

I have the corolla Haynes manual, which has the same engine covered, but Ive been caught out before by Haynes!

Thanks for the vid clip - I'll have a good look at that!