Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T180 Wheels/tyres Again! - Trying To Px Car

sywy

Hi all, as I mentioned in another thread, I want to swap my RAV4 T180 for a Verso. As many of you know, I have changed the wheels and tyres for third party ones. I've just come back from the dealers and they said they knocked £1k off my px price to sort out the wheel and tyres. I would be supplying my car with the original wheels and tyres, of which 2 would need replacing. I was expecting this, anyway. However, they are saying I'm going to need new sensors, as they have been off the car for so long and would have lost their coding?!! This I was not expecting! I can't believe I need need new sensors!! Just wondering what people's thoughts on this? Is there anything I can do? Or have I been shafted over the T180 wheels yet again?!!!

How would they know without trying first?

If your TPMS light is on, put your OEM wheels next to the vehicle and see if the light goes off. If it does, sensors are working.

I used to run my T180 with winter wheels and no sensors with warning light on, and when I parked up to the storage box with my OEM tyres in it, it would pick-up the signals and the light would go off.

And worse case, if it has lost its coding, it just needs to be recoded, not new sensors. As far as I recall, there's a number which the sensors have to code up with the car. So it will probably mean tyres off to read the number (£) and then recode to the car (£).

Toyota should be compensating T180 owners for such a **** up.

Edit: admittedly on my old 2007 T180, the batteries in the sensors would probably be dead by now. So that could also catch you out.

Yes, they've been off the car nearly 3 years now, so the batteries may be dead?

EDIT: Nearly 3 years not 2!! Changed them in Jan 2010.

A cynical person would say it was a ruse to lower your px, but a Toyota salesman's integrity would be far higher than that :rolleyes: ;)

Sound advice from Marsky.

As far as batteries go, they're usually designed for a Battery life of something like 5 to 10 years. They usually have a transit/storage mode that they have to be taken out of before use. This stop premature Battery use. Often they can be put back into this mode, with the right kit.

As far a recoding, yeah, right - put it on the allotment, where it will actually do some good. :thumbsup:

expect a PM.

EDIT: Was going to add that if the valve see what it thinks is a deflation type event (no not bankers)/low pressure, the time between transmissions will decrease, so that could potentially lower Battery life too. Later systems have been looking to power (or part power) the valves from energy reclaimation from wheel movement.

Thanks MarsKy. Will dig out the original wheels sometime.

Ask shcm.

Hoping he'll pop his head in here. And speak of the devil ...

A cynical person would say it was a ruse to lower your px, but a Toyota salesman's integrity would be far higher than that :rolleyes: ;)

Sound advice from Marsky.

As far as batteries go, they're usually designed for a battery life of something like 5 to 10 years. They usually have a transit/storage mode that they have to be taken out of before use. This stop premature battery use. Often they can be put back into this mode, with the right kit.

As far a recoding, yeah, right - put it on the allotment, where it will actually do some good. :thumbsup:

expect a PM.

EDIT: Was going to add that if the valve see what it thinks is a deflation type event (no not bankers)/low pressure, the time between transmissions will decrease, so that could potentially lower battery life too. Later systems have been looking to power (or part power) the valves from energy reclaimation from wheel movement.

Thanks shcm! Have replied.

And you also happen to know somebody who will sell you two WAY BELOW what Mr. T. would charge ye Simon.......this would be based around if they work, (i.e. accept coding to your car) you pay me. Got them off eBay brand new and have not used them.

Big Kev...ah know.....good guy disnae cover it......

Dug out the old wheels today, from the shed at the bottom of the back garden. Piled them up at the front of the car and turned the engine on. The TPMS light came as usual, flashing :( Then after 15 secs or so, it went off :clap: So at least my sensors are working. Also, I don't think my 2 front tyres are that bad, although I wouldn't buy a car with them on. The tread has worn away on both shoulders, but the central section is well within limits, I reckon. I think the law states that it has cover three quarters of the tyre. Not sure if this would cover it. As said, I would not buy a car with tyres in that condition, so I guess the dealer will insist that they need changing.

Big Kev, are you offering me 2 T180 wheels at a good price? How would coding them to the car work? (PM me the details if you want.)

As said, I would not buy a car with tyres in that condition

No, nor would I Simon, but a dealer would sell the car with them on if they are legal and the purchaser doesn't complain..............

Just point out that the system is working, and the wheels are original.

You could also point out that the salesman is a plonker who's talking out of his rear orifice but that might sour the deal.

Tell them to stop trying to shaft you and ask for a better deal.

Dug out the old wheels today, from the shed at the bottom of the back garden. Piled them up at the front of the car and turned the engine on. The TPMS light came as usual, flashing :( Then after 15 secs or so, it went off :clap: So at least my sensors are working. Also, I don't think my 2 front tyres are that bad, although I wouldn't buy a car with them on. The tread has worn away on both shoulders, but the central section is well within limits, I reckon. I think the law states that it has cover three quarters of the tyre. Not sure if this would cover it. As said, I would not buy a car with tyres in that condition, so I guess the dealer will insist that they need changing.

Big Kev, are you offering me 2 T180 wheels at a good price? How would coding them to the car work? (PM me the details if you want.)

No....just the TPMS sensors, which sems you don't require now anyways....