Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mmt Stuck In First Gear (And Starter Motor Issue)

underhill

Hi

Twice my MMT has got stuck in first gear. Both times when slowing down but not stopping (at lights and looking for a turning) and then trying to accelerate away, the revs just went through the roof as the car sped up but the gear box wouldn't change. The manual mode didn't work to change the gear so just had to stop, go to neutral and try again. I had all new clutch assembly, actuator and control unit at the start of the year as I had the problem the gears dropping in to neutral when cresting a hill.

Anyone had this experience? or suggestions of what to suggest to the Toyota dealer when it goes for a service next week.

Also on a side note there is a slight scratching noise when I start the engine these days just before I release the key which wasn't there before. Does this mean the starter motor is on it's way out too? Although the dealer said he couldn't find fault last month! Three years old, only 11,000miles and about to go out of warranty.

The Diesel MMT Yaris I had was like that. If the foot brake was applied firmer than normal the thing would change down into 1st and the revs shoot up to something silly like 3-4000! Sometimes when slowing down for a junction or roundabout and at 20-25 mph down it would change into first with a slightly less dramatic revs increase, to 2-3000! Then whatever speed I did, or combination of speed and accelerator there was no way it was going to change up from 1st. As you say even trying a manual change it wouldn't. The odd time I was able to force a change from 1st to 2nd it would immediately change back down to first!

The only "fix" was pull over, select neutral, into E and start off again!

"Nothing wrong with it" so the supplying dealer told me, even when I replicated the problem with one of their so-called technicians in the car with me. The MMT system truly is a pile of junk in my opinion and a failed experiment on the altar of ecoism (that's not a word, but all i could come up with).

I assume everything was changed under warranty? If so get back to them and complain before your three years. At 11000 miles it's totally unacceptable.

My car went to a poor unsuspecting punter no doubt.

Having driven for 8 years on MMT boxes I have never experienced this problem. On the Corolla (5Years) it never needed adjusted but on the 107 it has been reset twice. After a reset and when their is creep the box is excellent .I would strongly disagree that the MMT is a pile of junk.

Definitely a return to the dealer for a reset.

• 2 weeks later...

Outcome - the dealer put in a new "gear selector actuator" and starter motor plus there was apparently an oil leak too. So that's all on the warranty which is good - but on top of the already replaced clutch assembly, clutch actuator and control unit I cannot recommend the MMT as a reliable part. I wonder if there is another bit that will now fail, I cannot drive without worrying about whether the gears will change. Seems to me the more I google in to it the more problems it reports to have.

My initial warranty has 3 weeks to go. Has anyone been grateful for taking out the extended warranty on their Aygo? It's £330 I was kind of hoping when I bought a new car that I wouldn't have to regularly stump up lots of cash.

• 1 year later...

HI,

If it was me, £330 for an extra year seems a lot, however for peace of mind, I would go for it.

Have you had a look at the fixed price service plan, they offer great value, and you can pay monthly. buy them both and ask for a discount.

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links