Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cruise Control

les spragg

hi all

still getting used to site so if this is a silly question-sorry

can i fit cruise control on my rav4.2 petrol auto??

thanks

les spragg

Not as easily Les. You would be better to buy that kit off Hoovie but it isn't cheap.

Hi Les,

I was looking to do the same about a year ago, on our 4.2 D4D. Cruise was introduced as an option from July 2003 on the D4D (I guess the petrol was the same - but check with your parts counter on the VIN number), and before that the loom wiring doesn't exist, and, more importantly, the ECU doesn't, it seems, have the cruise facility embedded in it.

So Anchs is right - you're only option would appear to be an aftermarket cruise kit. But check your VIN number/manufacturing date at a T. parts desk first.

Chris

I have fitted an OEM cruise switch to a 2004 XT4, as Chris said its only possible if the wiring loom is present and the ECU has the cruise functionality. Its also not particularly easy.

You need to acquire an eBay listed cruise switch detailed in the 4.3 post. This is supplied with a short wiring loom that has a connector at the end. You have to remove the pins from the connector and insert them into two unused pin positions in the steering wheel clock spring main connector.

Then you have to acquire a OEM clutch switch fit it and connect it to two unused wires that are found in the brake switch connector. (you have to remove the wires from the connector and make up an extension lead)

I have not published precise pin numbers etc as they might vary from model year to year and there is potential to screw up your ECU etc. If you fancy having a go I would download the wiring diagram for your model from the Toyota Tech site and see if the wiring is present from the steering wheel to the ECU and from the brake switch connector to the ECU.

Ian

EDIT

Obviously you do not need the clutch switch for the Auto !!!

hi all

thanks for responses seems a bit hairy to me

read somewhere you must have fly by wire throttle

is this correct?

thanks all

les spragg

hi anchorman

i seem to have a cable going from the top of the pedal through the bulkhead does this connect electronically?

les

thanks for patience

If the throttle pedal just has an electric cable coming from it then its certainly an electronically controlled throttle. Next question is was the car ever intended to be fitted with cruise. Many of the up market RAVs XT4 etc were fitted with cruise in some European markets but not others. Thus it was cheaper for Toyota to fit one wiring loom enable cruise in the ECU and plug the options in as required. I suspect lower range models would be fitted with different wiring without the ability to add cruise.

The only certain way to check if you have cruise functionality is to download the exact circuit diagram for your exact model and check if the wiring is present. These are available for 3 euro at the Toyota tech website. ( for example during my research I found that pin placement varied on certain models depending on what buttons are fitted to the steering wheel.)

If you are not confident around electronics and diagrams its probably not a good idea to try this mod, as you have to disassemble pins from one connector and add them to another connector in the steering wheel. (You also have to remove air bag connectors in the steering wheel.)