Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Urban Cruiser 1.4 D Performance

brakenut

Hi, I have had my Urban Cruiser 1.4 diesel for two years now and I’m very pleased with it, however, at times I feel that it lacks power especially when pulling away from junctions (probably torque)

I realise that it’s only a 1.4 diesel and my question is: - are there any upgrades like remapping available that would improve performance?

Thanks Ian

Hi Brakenut, I have a 2 year old D4D same model as you.It is not possible to remap the Toyota system as it is bullet proof, but you can buy a piggy-back Tuning box from Lindops ( Parts king is his user name on the forums), which can give you extra lift and fuel consumption ( if driven sensibly), best give him a P/M

HTH

Regards Clare

We can do a kit for you, PM me for more details

Kingo

I've bought a tuning box for my Hiace van but can't fit it as the rail plug is near impossible to reach (still working on a way to do it without major surgery) I hope the UC common rail plug is easier to reach as I'd like to try a box on it although I'm still not sure what the difference is between the £80 boxes and the £300 ones.

I also think the car may go better without the DPF but that will have to wait until the warranty is up.

Steve, as far as I am aware, there is a world of difference between the £80 and £400 tuning boxes.It,s all to do with their make up and quality of parts use in their manufacture.The Lindop tuning box is Top End and is bullet proof,if I was in the market for one I would definenetly go the Lindop way,basically for the piece of mind that you are able to get hold of a body if you have a problem.

HTH Regards Clare

I suspect with smaller engines like the UC that there is a fine line between performance and good MPG.

Speaking of which, the best I've managed so far is 55 MPG on a 450 mile drive to Poole to get Jersey

ferry.Also got the same on return journey, wether I personally could achieve the quoted 65 MPG I doubt.

The one thing that did impress me though was the fact that I was averaging 80MPH and had no dropoff of

MPG which you get on bigger cars when cruising at motorway speeds.

Dave youre average of 55Mpg is excellent, Toyota quote 57.6 Mpg for the 1.4 D4D.I get about 53Mpg doing 20 mile trips to Douglas every day, slightly less in Winter.

How did you cope with the speed restictions on Jersey, isn,t it about no more than 40Mph on the island? On island here we are allowed to go at any ( sensible) speed where it is derestricted, but these are becoming less and less, with 50Mph the restriction of choice.

Regards Clare

I've bought a tuning box for my Hiace van but can't fit it as the rail plug is near impossible to reach (still working on a way to do it without major surgery) I hope the UC common rail plug is easier to reach as I'd like to try a box on it although I'm still not sure what the difference is between the £80 boxes and the £300 ones.

I also think the car may go better without the DPF but that will have to wait until the warranty is up.

The Hiace is very difficult to fit as there is such little space, but it can and has been done by many of my customers

The UC is far easier

Ive not known anybody have luck in removing the DPF on any Toyota, it can be done on other cars as you are probably aware

Kingo :thumbsup:

Being in holiday mode Claire, I wasn't that bothered in fact I drove a lot on the green lanes which have a 15 MPH limit.

It is pretty strange though on an island with a national speed limit of 40 MPH, and there are very few roads which actually

have that limit (a lot of 15/20/30) to see so many high performance cars.I guess they take the short ferry trip to France

and beyond to get their speed thrills.

Unlike on the IOM, where there isn,t a Porsche, Audi, Bentley, Ferrari Volvo or Lotus dealer,but guess what they are the most popular cars on island!!!!!!

Regards Clare