Do Not Sell My Personal Information

0.5Mm Left On The Rear Drums

benchan

Hi,

I was told my rear drums have only 0.5mm left - any one have any idea what this means?

These are the original ones and I've done 70K miles on them. How many mm should there be left when brand new? How long till they're completely worn out?

Thanks,

Ben

Most unuaual for drums to wear and require replaced, is it not the Brake Shoe lineing material that is worn ????

Most unuaual for drums to wear and require replaced, is it not the Brake Shoe lineing material that is worn ????

I'd second that.

Rear brake shoes only come with about 5mm of friction material when new.

They only wear very slowly on light, front wheel drive cars. 0.5mm IS worn out & time to change.

I'd be surprised if Toyota actually measured the internal diameter of the rear drums to see if THEY are near to wearing out.

So......probably just a rear brake shoe change is in order.

Ian.

This was at Kwik-fit - The guy clearly told me the shoes are fine, but the drums are worn and he has to give me an advisory warning.

A very slight wear ridge can appear on the edge of the brake drum but this does not have any bearing on brake efficiency, like Ian I would doubt very much that tthey measured the inside of the Brake Drum diameter. I would take their advice with a pinch of salt, why were you issued with a advisory was it in for a MOT if it was they certainly would not have the Wheels or Brake Drums removed

Hmm, why do I always hear the dodgiest statements when people use Kwik-Fit in the same sentence. Shoes are fine but the drums are shot - how many garages would fit new drums OR discs without shoes, not many I bet.

I'd get a second opinion from an independent and explain that you've been to Kwik-Fit.