Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem With My Aygo

bd1

Hi there, wondering if anyone can help identify the problem with my aygo from these symptoms...

Yesterday I started to notice a scraping noise while accelerating and also when dipping the clutch, it comes and goes. Plus the oil light started flashing briefly every now and then. Then today i've had the same symptoms plus I think the engine might be occasionally misfiring, like it sometimes judders when accelerating.

Just any advice etc. would be handy before I spend lots of money at a garage.

Thanks, Ben

Well, checking the oil level in the next 5 minutes might save you spending lots and LOTS of money at a garage.

Though if that is the problem it's probably going to be 2 days too late anyway.

Hi,

Havn't got an answer other than to stress your oil light is not a warning of low oil level as in some up marklet cars, it means no oil pressure and with no oil pressure your pistons will be running without lubrication......as above, check your oil immediately.

Just hope there is oil in sump!

Surpised she's not pulling an EML.

Regards,

B

cheers for the replies, forgot to post back on here. Obviously the first thing was to check the oil level as said and yep it was below minimum so walked to the garage for some oil and topped it up right away, since then the horrible symptoms have totally disappeared!

Just wondering now why the oil got low.... no signs of leaks and no signs of burnt oil coming out the exhaust..

Hi Ben,

It would be helpful to know a little more about the car, especially age, mileage and service history. All these can be a factor with 'low oil level' and might not necessarily indicate a problem if the car has covered some miles and hasn't been serviced for a while.

It will be a good idea for you to check weekly at least for a while to see if there is any steady oil loss that seems unexplained. The more you get used to how far the oil level drops after a certain mileage, the easier it is to spot early potential problems.

Hope this helps :)

Hi Ben,

It would be helpful to know a little more about the car, especially age, mileage and service history. All these can be a factor with 'low oil level' and might not necessarily indicate a problem if the car has covered some miles and hasn't been serviced for a while.

It will be a good idea for you to check weekly at least for a while to see if there is any steady oil loss that seems unexplained. The more you get used to how far the oil level drops after a certain mileage, the easier it is to spot early potential problems.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks Jonny. Its a 56 reg with just under 52k, its had full service history with its last service being in Dec 2011 at about 43/44k.

... it was below minimum so walked to the garage for some oil and topped it up right away, since then the horrible symptoms have totally disappeared!

Unfortunately that does suggest that the scraping noises were due to lack of lubrication. That probably means that some damage has occurred (in addition to any normal wear and tear). Even though the symptoms may have 'disappeared' you should definitely monitor the oil carefully as Johhny says for a while as scuffing of the cylinders/pistons would likely increase the use of oil.

If it is bad it might even fail its MoT on emissions, but you'll probably be able to see blue smoke from the exhaust at that stage.

• 1 month later...

Update: been checking the oil level regularly and unfortunately it was going down, topped it up yesterday as it was very close to the minimum mark.

Still however the car seems to be running great and there are still no signs of leaks on the drive and no smoke from the back while driving at all....