Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeaky,stiff Hard Clutch & Dual Mass Conversion To Solid Flywheel

avensisd4d786

Hello guys, I have recently bought a 2004 t spirit avensis 2.0 d4d.

I have a few of questions.

1. I have upgraded from a vauxhall , (yes i know BIG upgrade) the clutch on the avensis is very stiff, feels like i'm going to end up bigger quad and calve muscles than my right leg.

also when it its pressed there's a squeaking sound. if you guys need a video to see that could be arranged. gears are fine. can this squeak be cured and a explanation where to grease/wd40?

2. is it possible to convert to a solid flywheel? is there any one who has this done, if so is it worth doing?

Thank you for your time guys much appreciated.

check for a bent clutch master cylinder push rod, the rod that is attached at the top of clutch pedal into master cylinder

will have a look, thank you, have you had the same problem?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've a 2005 T4 D4D. I have the same problem with the squeaking and read also that it was the push rod as somebody already replied. However I've been driving it for over 4 years and it has never gotten any worse - I just turn the radio up!

The heavy clutch is a sure sign that it may be on the way out - mine was the same however I drove on it (Taxi) for over 3 years before it started slipping and it really was time to change it.

My advice - DON'T go down the solid flywheel route. I did it and regret it. The Avensis has a DMF for a reason as the springs in it dampen the clutch shudder. My nice smooth car has become a nightmare to drive in traffic and no matter how slow or fast you let the clutch out you can never get it right!!

Spend the extra hundred quid and get the DMF version - just my opinion of course.

NB: one other thing. I also had an annoying knocking noise from the engine when the car was under load (pulling uphill etc.) that my mechanic diagnosed as a faulty injector - however the new flywheel cured it, turned out the DMF was hanging apart!

Thank you for your opinion well at least my left quad muscles feel bigger than the right with the heavy clutch, yeahh! I always have the radio on so I do not hear the clutch. Very mixed views on the solid flywheel conversion. will have to look into more. any one else out there with more opinions?

Hi,

I've a 2005 T4 D4D. I have the same problem with the squeaking and read also that it was the push rod as somebody already replied. However I've been driving it for over 4 years and it has never gotten any worse - I just turn the radio up!

The heavy clutch is a sure sign that it may be on the way out - mine was the same however I drove on it (Taxi) for over 3 years before it started slipping and it really was time to change it.

My advice - DON'T go down the solid flywheel route. I did it and regret it. The Avensis has a DMF for a reason as the springs in it dampen the clutch shudder. My nice smooth car has become a nightmare to drive in traffic and no matter how slow or fast you let the clutch out you can never get it right!!

Spend the extra hundred quid and get the DMF version - just my opinion of course.

NB: one other thing. I also had an annoying knocking noise from the engine when the car was under load (pulling uphill etc.) that my mechanic diagnosed as a faulty injector - however the new flywheel cured it, turned out the DMF was hanging apart!

thank you, whats the car been like on taxis i take its the 2.0 not the 2.2

a bent clutch push rod will also cause a very heavy pedal, as the forward depressed angle is wrong,this means the cylinder piston is not being pushed in at the correct straight angle, trust me I am a doctor :laughing:

Quote......My advice - DON'T go down the solid flywheel route. I did it and regret it. The Avensis has a DMF for a reason as the springs in it dampen the clutch shudder. My nice smooth car has become a nightmare to drive in traffic and no matter how slow or fast you let the clutch out you can never get it right!!

A bent push rod will also cause this scenario as when you release the pedal the cylinder will not return smoothly due to be mis-aligned

• 3 months later...

Thanks Phil01, might look into that! I've just bought a 2009 2.2 180 estate and I've passed the 2005 onto the missus so it'll maybe save me some earache!

From what I'm aware of:-

- The heavy clutch is quite normal and something to do with the master cylinder. Mine's been like that for years and has never got any worse - it also squeaks

- I've never heard anything good about going from a DMF to a solid flywheel - ruins the smooth running of the car at low speeds

- The heavy clutch is quite normal and something to do with the master cylinder. Mine's been like that for years and has never got any worse - it also squeaks

- I've never heard anything good about going from a DMF to a solid flywheel - ruins the smooth running of the car at low speeds

Yes the clutch is heavy as standard but some are really heavy to the point your leg hurts pushing it in.

Yes same here heard nothing good about the SMF conversion, any one using LUK flywheel and any good?

Ive just cured the hard/squeaky clutch.

please read:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=viewNewContent&search_app=forums

The inside walls of the master and slave cylinders were changed to stop the squeaking noise and harshness. New ones will make it a lot better

Kingo :thumbsup:

Quote......My advice - DON'T go down the solid flywheel route. I did it and regret it. The Avensis has a DMF for a reason as the springs in it dampen the clutch shudder. My nice smooth car has become a nightmare to drive in traffic and no matter how slow or fast you let the clutch out you can never get it right!!

A bent push rod will also cause this scenario as when you release the pedal the cylinder will not return smoothly due to be mis-aligned

Seems funny that the earlier indirect ingection engines did not need a dmf, the three VWs i had seemed smooth enough and they had 23-1 compression ratio which is higher than many of todays direct injection engines..

Read somewhere that the conversion to smf on some makes of vehicles have turned out very successful.

Why not in the avensis. maybe another thing that Toyota cant get right in their diesels.

The inside walls of the master and slave cylinders were changed to stop the squeaking noise and harshness. New ones will make it a lot better

Kingo :thumbsup:

Correct! I have one in my car and it is!

Pete.

Yes the clutch is heavy as standard but some are really heavy to the point your leg hurts pushing it in.

Yes same here heard nothing good about the SMF conversion, any one using LUK flywheel and any good?

Ive just cured the hard/squeaky clutch.

please read:

http://www.toyotaown...arch_app=forums

LUK make the DMF for Toyota. I've changed mine on my VW Polo with a LUK kit thats a SMF...

"LUK make the DMF for Toyota"

what makes you say this?

what makes you say this?

Its stamped all over the DMF wheel mate...

what makes you say this?

I'll have to have a look when it needs changing, if that's the case, I'll be buying a LUK one as I can get one less than half price than Toyota (£800+). was an LUK one in your avensis? and did you buy your car from new?

Can anyone else confirm this?

what makes you say this?

I'll have to have a look when it needs changing, if that's the case, I'll be buying a LUK one as I can get one less than half price than Toyota (£800+). was an LUK one in your avensis? and did you buy your car from new?

Can anyone else confirm this?

Yes mine is a LUK kit. They supply most of the major marques... So tell us where and how do you manage to get LUK for less than half the price? LUK is on my car and the DMF and clutch kit I've bought is genuine Toyota but LUK stamped as well as Mr T...

There's a good article in the latest Car Mechanics mag on DMF flywheels

check for a bent clutch master cylinder push rod, the rod that is attached at the top of clutch pedal into master cylinder

My car has this problem but Iv been told I cant buy the push rod on top of the master cylinder. I have to buy and change the whole master cylinder as it comes connected in one peice. Can someone confirm this? And are there any shortcuts to fixing this problem?

Its not hard to press as such. It makes that squeeky noise everytime I press it but its got to a stage now where I struggle to get gears in sometime. When I do get a gear in, theres a lot of plat in the gearstick. Ims starting to think there could be a gear linkage problem or, worse, a gearbox issue.

Sorry, typo--- alot of play/movement in the gearstick.

I had a 55 plate d4d t3x in which I did lots of miles.

Initially I started to get the squeeking clutch pedal and just ignored it with a view to putting some lube on when I found time, never did.

Over the course of the next 15k miles the clutch started to not come all the way back when taking the foot off and had to hitch my toe under, car still drove ok until after about 20k the clutch started to slip and gradually got worse.

On taking to garage to have the clutch fixed the guy did the master cylinder also and when I got the car back it drove like new with no issues. The flywheel was ok .

The mechanic told me that the master cylinder issue was pretty common and often started with a squeeky clutch mechanism.

Total cost £640. After another 20k the squeeking started again so got rid of the car.