Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius Insurance

Chris Dance

The annual insurance is due on my Gen 3 T Spirit. The price of this years quote has risen by £50 with the present insurers even though nothing has changed in this year except I am a little older. I rang for a quote from Toyota insurance and I was surprised the quote was a lot cheaper. I then phoned my present insurers and explained I had a cheaper qoute. They then reduced their renewal price to the same as Toyota.

I am thinking of taking the Toyota insurers offer. Why I am hesitant is that my wife had an accident (not her fault) in her Corolla some years ago she was insured with Toyota and it was a major hassle getting that accident sorted. Toyota have told me that situation would not happen now. I would be interested to hear other folks views on Toyota insurance. Any advice welcome.

Hi Chris

I saw in Which, they have Toyota Insurance listed as a recommended insurance provider. I had Toyota insurance years ago on my first Yaris, it was a special offer of a year's free insurance with the car. I never had to claim off it though. I would agree that their prices are reasonable, though I've gone to Tesco, Direct Line and Hughes (brokers) who insured me with AXA.

http://www.which.co.uk/money/insurance/reviews-ns/car-insurance/whichrecommended-providers/

Hi Chris, it's not unusual for a renewal to be more expensive. As far as I know, all the insurance companies bump up the premium at renewal. The logic is that most customers can't be bothered to research alternatives and will just go with that quote. So the insurance company trousers a few extra quid.

More and more people are getting wise to this and are now taking the opportunity to go to market, where they can usually get a cheaper quote. (Singing tenors, irrepressible red phones and meerkats all help.) And the process of swapping over is simple enough. Just remember to get a statement from your existing insurer of proof of No Claims Discount. They have to provide that when you leave. However, when the customer goes back to the original provider, suddenly that company will find an excuse to match or beat the lower quote!

You have done EXACTLY the right thing in going to market, getting a better quote, and then contacting your existing insurer.

If you are happy enough otherwise with your existing provider (remember, they pretty much ALL play this game) then you could just accept the lower quote and move on. Personally, I would go for more and I would tell them you are going to leave them unless they BEAT your other quote. (And don't bluff - be prepared to do it.) If your present provider beats the quote, then stay with them. You get peace of mind and a reduced quote. Simples!

You are the customer; you have the choice. Exercise it to get the deal you are happiest with.

Best wishes

R04drunner1

Thank you for the replies: I think I may be taking the offer from Toyota this year. One reason for my decision is that in event of an accident the car will be taken to a Toyota dealer and not an insurers approved garage.

Having dealt with all sorts of insurance companies over the years, I can say that the Toyota insurance service is excellent when you most need it, during a claim! Most insurance companies bully their customers, telling them they must go to their approved repairer or pay additional fees in order to take it to a Toyota dealer, all of which puts the customer in an awkward position. Customers cars are often taken to a repairer tens of miles away and in the event there is a problem with a repair, you are not in a position to have it rectified quickly

Toyota insurance has come a long way, it is now competitivly priced (for most) and offers a 24 hour helpline, most repairs are started within 48 hours of the estimate being received

Kingo :thumbsup:

I have changed my insurance every year for the past n years, because I have always managed to find a better deal than the renewal price. I have been driving Toyotas for more than ten years (Camry, Lexus, Prius) and have always asked Toyota to quote, but they have yet to be competitive on price.

I try to follow the advice on Martin Lewis' web site (MoneySavingExpert.com) and up to now it has worked well for me.

For me, if your insurance company says "all of a sudden" they can reduce the premium to match a competitor, I would be telling them to shove it! I want it reduced to keep the business, not matched. This goes for holidays or whatever, if it can be matched, it can be beaten

Kingo :thumbsup:

Sagitar, It may be worth checking with Toyota Insurance again. I was surprised at the lower quote they gave me this year.

Parts King: Thanks for your input. My present Ins company would not it put it in writing that my car would be repaired only by Toyota following an accident. They did say I could elect for any accident repairs to be done at a dealer of my choice. However, I can see me being in the awkward position you mention in the event of an accident if I stay with my present company.

do you members recommend taking out the legal protection for insurance . this can be up to £30.00 extra. is it really worth it.

No I never bother with legal protection.

My logic being if its my fault my insurance covers it if its not their insurance covers it.

I have a very strong suspicion legal protection is a scam.

I also think paying extra for a courtesy car is a scam.

If I am fully comp have an accident and they tell me I cannot have a courtesy car because I have not paid the additional premium I will ask to go to a approved repairer who can provide me with a car.

One more way of getting more money out of us.

I've had legal protection a couple of times, then not bothered on my last policy, but this time it came "as standard". I wouldn't pay extra for a courtesy car either. It would be no use to me anyway as there's no way I would use my insurance company's approved repairers. I know who they use (local vauxhall/chevrolet dealers :yucky: ) and I would never go to that place,its a dump.

If I'm ever unfortunate enough to have an accident, I would ring Toyota accident assistance and let them sort it. At least I would know the job was done right. There's no way any insurance company could make me use their 'approved' repairer.

Insurance approved repair companies can use whatever non-genuine parts they want - no thanks!

I have a Prius Anniversary, registered 1st September 2011. I insured the car with my previous insurer at maximum no-claims, and always have Legal Protection. Toyota Insurance couldn't come close to their cost.

Three weeks into ownership my Prius was hit by an 86 year old female driving a Shogun, who couldn't walk without the aid of a stick. She drove in the middle of a country lane directly at me. I pulled as far left as I could and stopped but she ploughed on into the rear quarter of my Prius!

Her insurer was Saga who insisted that it was 50/50. My insurer regularly kept me updated, explaining that Saga would only respond to letters (did not accept phone calls or emails) so things dragged on. It appeared that the other driver, who had reported the accident to her insurers, did not then respond to their requests for further details.

Eventually, some 4 months down the line, my insurers asked if I was prepared to go to court. I said yes, and County Court papers were issued via the insurers appointed solicitors. As soon as the other driver was issued the Court papers she admitted fault and I received my excess payment. I then wrote to my insurers to confirm that my guaranteed no-claims bonus was unaffected which they did in writing, confirming that they had received all repair costs and solicitor costs.

My premium for the forthcoming year from my insurer has now been paid - it was less than last year.

I have a Prius Anniversary, registered 1st September 2011. I insured the car with my previous insurer at maximum no-claims, and always have Legal Protection. Toyota Insurance couldn't come close to their cost.

Three weeks into ownership my Prius was hit by an 86 year old female driving a Shogun, who couldn't walk without the aid of a stick. She drove in the middle of a country lane directly at me. I pulled as far left as I could and stopped but she ploughed on into the rear quarter of my Prius!

Her insurer was Saga who insisted that it was 50/50. My insurer regularly kept me updated, explaining that Saga would only respond to letters (did not accept phone calls or emails) so things dragged on. It appeared that the other driver, who had reported the accident to her insurers, did not then respond to their requests for further details.

Eventually, some 4 months down the line, my insurers asked if I was prepared to go to court. I said yes, and County Court papers were issued via the insurers appointed solicitors. As soon as the other driver was issued the Court papers she admitted fault and I received my excess payment. I then wrote to my insurers to confirm that my guaranteed no-claims bonus was unaffected which they did in writing, confirming that they had received all repair costs and solicitor costs.

My premium for the forthcoming year from my insurer has now been paid - it was less than last year.

I had an interesting experience when riding my motorcycle on third party only insurance. There was a collision which was the fault of a third party and because I was third party only insured and therefore no chance at all of 50/50, the legal guys from my side went to town with the case and got settlement within 8 weeks with all my expenses and their own paid by the insurers of the party at fault. My cars have always been insured fully comprehensive but this incident made me stop and think about the whole insurance game a bit more.

Generally my opinion of companies who attempt to screw their customers is very low. That is typical of most insurance companies.

Having said that, my wife is insured with SAGA, she had a crash - her fault - car written off. She was reimbursed a very reasonable sum - in line with market value - within 2 weeks of the crash. Her NCD was protected and her next year's premium was unchanged. And this year's is the same as last's..

(I checked and it was within £10 of the cheapest alternative quote).

Highly recommended. (no connection except as satisfied customer)

I have gone with Toyota Insurance this year and I am waiting for the paper work to arrive. I always have legal protection and I am informed that with Toyota insurance a courtesy car is always available from Toyota in the event of an accident.

A courtesy car is available to anyone who uses the Toyota dealer for any repairs. :blow: