Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4.3 Rav4 2.2D4D Egr Mod

RCT Bart 1979

Hey,

I just finished this up , i was kinda tired of cleaning the egr valve so i tried this instead.

on the cilinder head side i blocked of the exhaust gasses , and on the egr side i used a 25mm air filter.

there is ofcourse a downside , it takes a bit longer for the water temp to warm up , engine oil i'm not sure.

and for the upside : no more carbon build up ! forever :clap:

when you are cruising ( not building up turbo pressure ) you get a small whistle , this doesn't bother me , and the filter is nicely hidden by the engine cover.

here is the before pic :

Foto0590.jpg

here is the after pic :

Foto0616.jpg

i can't believe this is a new idea , i didn't even came up with this , a local toyota mechanic told me

that they where succesfully testing this mod , but ofcourse it isn't 100% legal because the egr valve is a part of what makes this car EURO4 ... but hey , i can live with that :-)

comments appreciated...

Looking good! I've just taken my EGR valve off and swapped it for my spare cleaned one. Getting sick of cleaning the dame things! How long has the Toyota tech been testing this mod for?

10.000km or about 6250mls

i'll update my findings too ofcourse but one thing's for sure , the ECU doesn't have clue :-)

Wouldn't it be easier to just block it off?

Wouldn't it be easier to just block it off?

yes ofcourse but then the ecu knows and most likely give a fault code or even go into limp mode...

when the ecu tells the egr valve to open it expects to see that less air is passing by the air filter.

if the egr inlet is blocked off , 100% of air will pass by the airfilter even when the ecu expects less ( lets say 90% )

thats how it'll know something is wrong... ( this is my theory but it makes sense to me ;-) )

edit : now i remember , i've also seen this mod on an australian hilux ( or landcruiser ) forum , but they ran a hose to the airbox lid ( so behind the airfilter and before the MAF sensor ) . This is also a solution , the Australians wanted a 100% waterproof solution because they drive their cars through a river from time to time. :-)

Just a question. Do you cut the egr pipe and after put the filter? Sorry for bad grammar. Thanks in advanced.

Just a question. Do you cut the egr pipe and after put the filter? Sorry for bad grammar. Thanks in advanced.

As you can see in the 2nd picture the egr pipe is cut twice ( about 4inch is removed ) to make room for the 25mm filter.

As you can see in the 2nd picture the egr pipe is cut twice ( about 4inch is removed ) to make room for the 25mm filter.

What goes on the pipe where it comes out of the cylinder head?

Pete.

Pete.

i made a little plate to block it off ( using the egr pipe as a model )

Pete.

i made a little plate to block it off ( using the egr pipe as a model )

Thanks for that, I just thought how can that be the finished job :o . It will be nice if you come back with a long term review and how it effects overall performance like mpg etc. You need to revert back to normal for the MOT test and so how will you do that.

Regards Pete.

I don't know how the MOT test in the UK works ... here in Belgium the only thing that is tested is the amount of soot particles that comes out of the exhaust.

The egr's function is not to obtain less soot in the exhaust , but to get less NOx gas from the burn.... and we don't measure that.

I should know , because that's my job :laughing:

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Just wondered if you are still using this mod, and has it worked well.

Thanks

Lee

Common Mod on the Mitsubishi Shogun engined vehicles. They're owners club even sells the blanking plate.

I would really like to know how the RAV performed after this, before i do it myself. Also what air filter was added to the egr pipe.

Very tempted to order anorther egr pipe and make the mod myself.

I made mine out of some copper pipe and yorkshire fittings, melted the soft solder out and then siver soldered them up, small air filter from halfruds, means you can put original back, been running 6,000 miles nice clean exhaust. Yo!

I made mine out of some copper pipe and yorkshire fittings, melted the soft solder out and then siver soldered them up, small air filter from halfruds, means you can put original back, been running 6,000 miles nice clean exhaust. Yo!

6000 miles sound like a good enough test. Think I'll contact a few scrappy's and see what i can get a spare pipe for, this will be a nice little project for the new year.

• 6 months later...

Oh , sorry for the late reply ,

To answer your question , yes , still running the mod , and still no problems.

The downside is that during winter time the engine warms up very slowly , i'm planning to block the grille this year ( or partially )

grtz !

trust me just blank the ends the air filter won't know (not clever enougt) no pipe cutting you won't get any problems if you clean the EGR first