Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sticky About Each Model

Kryz Orlinski

I thought it would be good to consolidate all problems with each engine. I have seen this on other car forums and its a good point of reference and can be updated as required.

I have put together the following engines:

1.8 VVT-i

2.0 D-4D

2.0 VVT-i

2.2 D-4D

2.4 VVT-i

So far I have seen:

Engines:

1.8 VVT-i Oil burning problem not fixed until mid 2005 check engine No. Pistons modified, sump oil level increased

2.0 D-4D and 2.2 D-4D DMF premature wearing and costs about £1400 to replace. Options are to go Solid flywheel (costs £???)

2.0 D-4D and 2.2 D-4D EGR valve needs cleaning

2.0 D-4D and 2.2 D-4D SCV fail £200 for parts plug labour.

2.0 D-4D and 2.2 D-4D upto 2009 head gasket issues - Engine require replacing in some cases - Toyota warranty extended upto 7 years and 112k to cover, as long has had FSH.

Others:

All models between 2003-2005 (pre face lift) - issue with front headlamps. The H7 bulb housing melting.

I can update this as people post issues they find.

2.0 D-4D and 2.2 D-4D pre 2005 head gasket issues

you have your date wrong - for the Avensis the TSB that was floating around (old & may have been updated since) quotes production until Feb 2009 as possibly affected.

Certainly cars after 2005 have had engines replaced.

1.8 VVT-i Oil burning problem not fixed until mid 2005 check engine No. Pistons modified, sump oil level increased

maybe lets not narrow it down to the engines only - there are other issues that people may want to know but they are not about engines.

eg.

All models between 2003-2005 (pre face lift) - issue with front headlamps. The H7 bulb housing melting.

What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

taken from honestjohn.co.uk for the avensis 2003-2009

What to Watch Out For

Reports of rattle from steering column/steering rack. Initially irritating rather than dangerous and replacements in short supply. Not replaced under warranty unless actually dangerous. Later recalled.

Report of creaking from steering caused by severe corrosion of the steering rack at 4 years old, though of a car kept in salt air on Anglesey.

Mysterious rattle from the rear experienced by HJ over 6 months with a D-4D.

Make sure recall work has been carried out. If the engine intermittently cuts out and the fault cannot be diagnostically traced it may be due to a faulty safety fuel cut-off solenoid switch. On D-4D, cutting out can also be caused by a build of of salts on a hot wire in the mass airflow sensor.

Reports of speed humps damaging the rear suspension.

Report of front wheel bearing failure at 6 months old.

Early 1.8 and 2.0 litre VVT-i engines can start to use up to a litre of oil every 600 miles after 40,000 miles due to a bore liner problem and/or being fitted with slightly undersize pistons. By February 2009 Toyota had extended the warranty on these engines to 6 years or 100,000 miles.

Early 2.2 chain cam diesels are gaining a reputation as moderate oil burners, consuming around 1 litre of oil every 5,000 miles with this considered "normal" by Toyota.

Headlight bulb holders can melt, making replacement of bulbs impossible. Toyota replaces headlight units under warranty.

Clutches can fail quite early. Clutch trouble with T180 due to a problem with the master cylinder, not the clutch itself, clutch release or slave cylinder. Failed glow plugs reported on 4 year old D-4Ds. Cost £300 to replace.

Can develop manual gearbox bearing problems. Several reports of this.

On 2.0 belt cam D-4Ds reports of "turbos failing and destroying engines at 80k - 100k miles". Probably what is meant is that the swirl flaps in the inlet manifold break off and are ingested into the engine. Report of one turbo failing at just 9 months old.

High level brake light can fail completely and the whole unit needs replacing, cost £80.

Squealing brakes can sometimes be cured by fitting a shim in the calipers. Toyota dealers know about this.

23-3-2011: Have been reports of head gasket failures on 2.0 litre D-4Ds and of cylinder head problems on 2.2 diesels. These seem to be consequential of water pump failure. Overheating as a result can damage the block and liners to the extent that the car needs a new engine. Don't reckon on very high, trouble-free mileages for these engines, and if you have one keep a close eye on the temp gauge and header tank level.

26-1-2012: With 2.2 litre diesels, problems over regenerating of DPFs can lead to overfuelling that can damage the piston rings and bores. Apparently Toyota has extended the warranty to 5 years (even on 3 year warranted cars) to cover this.

13-3-2012: Headlamp bulb holders disintegrate. Toyota extended the warranty to six years, but out of warranty a pair costs £500.

• Toyota Avensis (1997 - 2002 ) taken from honestjohn.co.uk
  • What's Bad
    Still Carina E-based, so it's not going to set your pants on fire with excitement.
    Lean-burn engines require same economy driving style of high revs with small throttle openings - not holding high gears and labouring the engine.
    Pre-2000 MY diesels pointless.
    Lost its 'smiley face' for 2000 model year.
    What to Watch Out For
    First owner may have been a rental fleet. Look for minor damage from rental car carelessness. May have been kerbed, so check for uneven tyre wear and damaged hubcaps.
    Second owner may have been a mini cabber.
    Some problems experienced with steering column; subject to TSB and replaced FOC if owners complain. Look for leaks at ends of steering racks of early build 1997 and 1998 cars as can be prone to leaks (Toyota has replaced these FOC at 4 years old). On later cars a clunk from the rack is easily cured by re-greasing.
    Make sure clutch still has plenty of bite and feel carefully for any gear-change problems. By 2009, manual transmission bearing failures were becoming increasingly common.
    In 1997s and 1998s check fuel tank for leaks.
    Some reports of premature clutch and gearbox failures. Isolated report of problems with immobiliser.
    Rear drum brake cylinders can also start to seep fluid.
    Slipping alternator belt a known fault on diesel and easily cured. Replaced by new model late 2002.
    Mk I VVTi engine engine appears to use lots of oil; so much that Toyota
    specifies in its handbook up to 1 litre every 1000miles. Reported to be the result of having built the engine with porous wet bore liners. Because of this problem Toyota increased the engine warranty to 5 years. If a dealer check over 1,000 miles showed oil consumption to be greater than 1 litre, the test results would be sent to Japan and the engine usually replaced FOC. The Mk2 VVTi engine also reported to have this problem. Useful website for problem solving www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16481
    Rear wiper of hatch may refuse to switch off. The relay for the wiper is incorporated in the motor and the motor is earth dependant for a feed. Best replaced with a 2nd hand wiper motor from a scrapper.
    Recalls
    11-7-2002: 3,085 Avensis in VIN range SB153BB to SB172BB: possibility that excess residual stress remains on check valve of fuel pump during assembly leading it to leak fuel. Valve to be re-tightened and relevant pipe to be replaced to protect against stress.
    30-9-2002: On 900 cars fitted with a spoiler the spoiler may become loose. Revised spoiler fixing to be used.

Toyota Avensis (2009 - )

What's Bad

Six speed diesel automatic in the Tourer puts the emissions up to 174g/km.

Tourer's load cover and dog guard are heavy and clunky to remove.

What to Watch Out For

Front brake calliper guide pins seem to develop extensive play in the bushings in the calliper carriers and develop a rattle. The play is extensive, so you can toggle the calliper left-right so you hear this sound. Reader noticed after 12,000km.

26-1-2012: With 2.2 litre diesels, problems over regenerating of DPFs can lead to overfuelling that can damage the piston rings and bores. Apparently Toyota has extended the warranty to 5 years (even on 3 year warranted cars) to cover this.

Recalls

29-1-2010 Sticking Accelerator Pedal recall announced on Avensis (Nov 2008 – Dec 2009). Customers who experience the problem should phone 0800 1388 744.