Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Touch And Go Phone Compatibility

mmw109

I've got a new Plugin Hybrid due to arrive next week, and by coincidence my phone contract is up for renewal in September.

As such I thought I'd see what phone I could get that would give me access to all the Touch & Go Plus features.

According to this, NONE :

http://www.toyota-europe.com/own/bluetooth/bluetooth_connect.tmex

How can Toyota advertise a list of features on their system if there doesn't actually exist a phone that supports them ?

I understand "Not all features may work on all phones" but that's quite different (in my view) to "Not all features work on ANY phone".

I can see network tethering, music, calendar and email being features I would actually make use of on long journeys (or rather my passenger would).

Does anyone have a good experience with any particular phones that do work (contrary to Toyota's compatibility list) ?

I have Yarid Hybrid with Touch & Go and iPhone as a phone. Everything works except sending text messages from the touch system. Tethering works well as well as listening to music via bluetooth or via usb connection. Also I can read incoming text and e-mail messages.

Thanks.

Have you ever tried to synch up your calendar ?

Does anyone have experience with an Android Phone ?

• 3 months later...

My phone initially came up as compatible: but after trying and failing, checking again.... you are correct, no phone is compatible in the UK, for the connected services.

Toyota should not advertise it, and waste our time when we try to make it work. Note that the problem is not the phone - my mistake is because I was looking on the US site, and the Samsung Galaxy Note is compatible with Touch & Go / Entune over there. Just not over here.... so the problem cannot be anything to do with the handset. Must be something to do with the networks.

I'm off to find somebody to complain to........

My S3 seems to work happily with the Touch and Go in my Yaris though I haven't tried everything as some things I am never going to use in the car (like the calendar or emails) Meant to check connected services but that completely slipped my mind so will see if I can try this weekend - my phone signal is close to nil in the covered car park at home though so it might have to wait until I'm in the supermarket car park or something.

Edit: a few thoughts on tethering: not all phone hotspots are done the same way and so things may or may not be able to see it and connect, and I think that not all networks allow tethering depending on the plan. I'm with Three so no problem with tethering at their end and I know that all the gadgets I've tried connecting to the S3 so far have worked fine (but many couldn't see the hotspot from the HD2 I had a few years ago). My handset is also a sim-free one so the ROM is from Samsung rather than the (possibly) fiddled-with one from a provider where they add their branded bloatware but can also remove functions if they so wish... Easy enough to flash a different ROM though ;)

That is rather weird indeed...

And having quickly skimmed through the instructions for connected services, it doesn't mention using the usual tethering/hotspot function which I had simply assumed it would, so you can scrap my previous comment about that!

There are so many variables anyway in how things are implememted that it's just pot luck if things work - I know for example that the S3 doesn't play nice with the Renault system at all. However you'd think that what works for one phone in the Yaris hybrid with Touch & Go would work with the same phone in the Prius.

One big issue to watch for is that many network operators / tariffs don't allow "Tethering" - i.e. allowing another computer / system (e.g. the car's touch and go system) to access the phone's internet services. So - even if the phone is compatible, you need the right contract in order for the more advanced services to work (e.g. google search, updates etc.)

Also to add to Dave R's comments, the toyota touch n go uses bluetooth tethering as opposed to the NOW more conventional way, WiFi tethering. Most smartphones don't support BT tethering at all( my brothers Windows 8 phone doesn't), but I have read somewhere that android implemented it during the ICS update recently, so recent top spec androids may work.

My Dads very old Nokia 6300 works fine for the online services, but not the calendar and sms features. i shall try my ICS phone on his Prius+ the next chance I get, and report here.

Dave.

I've so far failed to get the internet connected via the S3 :( BT tethering is turned on on the phone (on Jelly Bean 4.1.2 - the function is definitely there!); the phone tells me that it *is* sharing with Toyota T&G but for some reason it doesn't actually work. Not that bothered TBH as it's not something I'm likely to use but would be nice to get it to work just because :P

I'll look into it when I can be bothered. Will probably wipe the pairing and start again from scratch, stranger things have happened! I've noticed though that when I select "connect for internet", the user guide shows that you should get a list of providers that you select from; all I get is a blank list. Also tried to manually enter the APN settings but that didn't do it either

Oh and like Teemu, I cannot send SMS so that function doesn't seem to work for both the iPhone and the S3. Receiving is fine though. It's a bit of a PITA to type on the T&G keyboard anyway :lol:

I did say it was pot luck didn't I?! Would be nice if all phone and car manufacturers could be made to implement a single system that's pretty much guaranteed to work. Though I have to say that given that the only thing I might very occasionally use is the call function (and then only if I really have to) I'm not too upset about it all.

• 3 months later...

Just managed to figure out how to connect my Android phone (Galaxy S2 - ICS) on Virgin mobile to my Touch & Go SatNav (Prius with tech pack)

I spent ages messing around with the different default providers and then in the "other" section with APN addresses, user ID & Password dial up numbers, DNS addresses etc

Then at last I install Blue DUN on my phone (available from the play store), turned it on, disconnected and re paired my phone to the car.

Blue DUN instructions say for the client "don't care about phone number, account or dns because the app emulates only the modem behaviour but it sends/retrieves data to/from phone wifi/mobile connection!" So I simply choose Tmobile and.... Worked perfectly first time :D

Hi All,

I have a gen 3 Prius and a Samsung Galaxy S3, everything on it seems to work fine, I have managed to access the internet from it through the Touch and Go, also send and recieve text messages, and have the system read the messages to me. As someone mentioned earlier in might be the tarrif that you are on. I am with Vodafone

Regards,

Dave.

My Sammy Galaxy Note2 has no issues with the Yaris T&G. BT tethering works a treat, but other than testing it, I don't usually turn it on.

BT for phone and music works fine.

I haven't been able to get it to do much with text messages other than a visual 'box' to let me know it's here and the usual notification sound....I have the clasic AOL guy saying 'You've got mail'.

ICS 4.1.1

• 2 months later...

I have a touch and go plus. Latest release.

I have a blackberry pearl 9015.

When I co next to Internet it connects but if attempt a search or Internet function it says search provider not available.

I am on virgin.

Toyota setting is apn vdata.

Virgin won't support but say phone will tether is settings correct.

Help please

OK I'm no expert but your BB is using a very old version of bluetooth. My SGN2 uses V4.0 also with A2DP. Now thats just a communications protocol, but it might be cos your BB is from 2010.

Regarding your situation if I understand correctly. Your BB connects to the car for telephony OK. Probably for music OK but won't allow the car to use your phone as a Modem to connect to the Net. That about summarise it?

Well thats not too surprising. My previous phone a Samsung Galaxy S (also a 2010 vintage -used BT ver 3) Also did exactly the same. Eventually I managed to connect it by downloading a trial version of BlueDun from the Apps store but it still was pretty hopeless.

Maybe your BB just cannot be used in that way. My new Samsung calls it 'bluetooth tethering' and I still keep it turned off. Just using the BT for music and telephony.

Hope that helps as I say i'm certainly no expert. Maybe someone else might like to jump in here?