Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf

Burnview5

T180 2006 model limped to garage yesterday to be advised that my DPF is goosed and it will cost £2k to sort. Am I being taken to cleaners here or do I have other options..............sorry f vague but this is all new to me.

Does it use oil?

What mileage has it done?

Do you have service history of any kind?

No oil issues at all - 60k and full service history that doesnt show any issues........cheers

Well then it suggests very strongly that it has been run on supermarket fuel. There is another option but it's a protracted one.

Ours threw a P2002 (relating to a bank of the DPF) when the EGR valve stuck. The remedy was to clean the EGR, reset the code and then apply some DPF cleaner for good measure; been fine since.

On what basis are they telling you the DPF has failed? Purely the code?

Anchorman. -i am open to all suggestions

Well then it suggests very strongly that it has been run on supermarket fuel. There is another option but it's a protracted one.

I think some real proof is needed for this statement, not the usual rumours, would you like to justify this comment and back it up?

Thank heavens I dont have a DPF :D

Gus

i've heard that DPF's can be steam cleaned instead of the more expensive and easy money replacing.

for those of use new to this internet forum malarkey can someone tell me what the alleged issues are with supermarket fuel ??

Merseyshark, you are entering a minefield, but I would think that Don (Anchorman) will give you a fair and honest interpritation of the whole subject of Supermarket fuels.

Regards Clare

Merseyshark, you are entering a minefield, but I would think that Don (Anchorman) will give you a fair and honest interpritation of the whole subject of Supermarket fuels.

Regards Clare

....OR YOU COULD SAVE THE AGED / AGING CHAP A SHED LOAD OF TYPING by doing a search under the obvious heading of "supermarket fuels"........and also ask yourself a simple question of why is supermarket fuel cheaper ?

Konsiderate Kev.

Thank heavens I dont have a DPF :D

Have you had yours taken off Gus ?

Exactly my thoughts Dave.Would have thought the Rav Gus has would have had a DPF.

Regards Clare

Nope the DPF is only fitted to the D-Cat model apparently.

I have had to wade through ten tons of bumph to verify that statement and I am still not 100% :-)

Gus

Sorry Gus all 2012 toyota diesels meet Euro 5 emission standards and have a DPF :flowers:

Is that a fact or what you believe? the reason I ask is that my handbook states only D-Cat models have a DPF, therefore following your assertion means that I will also have a catalytic convertor.

edit

Although the Toyota Optimal Drive 2.2-litre D-4D 150 and 2.2-litre D-CAT 150 engines meet Euro 5 emissions standards, the D-4D 150 doesn't come with a diesel particulate filter.

To get Toyota's DPNR four-way catalyst you'll need to go for the D-CAT clean diesel system, which promises extremely low combined NOx and particulates emissions.

the above from this link http://www.green-car-guide.com/toyota-rav4-xt-r-22-d4d-5-door-manual.html

Gus

Is that a fact or what you believe?

edit

Although the Toyota Optimal Drive 2.2-litre D-4D 150 and 2.2-litre D-CAT 150 engines meet Euro 5 emissions standards, the D-4D 150 doesn't come with a diesel particulate filter.

Gus

Well I`ve looked for `proof` as well Gus and came across your edit which was pertaining to the 09/10 model but cannot find anything apart from this but find still it hard to believe yours doesn`t have a DPF.

My Verso doesn`t but the 2011 does and even the 2012 diesel Yaris has one.

It would mean the Rav4 was the only new 2012 non DPF equipped diesel engined vehicle on sale today :g:

Updated: January 2012

THE TOYOTA RAV4

KEY POINTS

· The world’s most successful compact SUV

· 2.0-litre Valvematic petrol engine with Multidrive S, Toyota’s advanced continuously variable transmission

· RAV4 first in its class to achieve sub-160g/km CO2 emissions - 2.2 D-4D AWD model returns 159g/km – 156g/km for 2WD

· 2.2-litre D-CAT engine matched to six-speed automatic transmission with sequential manual mode

· Two trim levels – XT-R and SR

· Toyota Touch touchscreen controls with advanced bluetooth, Rear-view camera and USB port/Aux socket introduced for 2012 on XT-R

· Toyota Touch & Go, with satellite navigation and on-line connectivity standard on 2012 SR model

· Active Torque Control AWD system automatically transfers torque between front and rear wheels for optimum performance in all conditions

· First-in-segment Integrated Active Drive System

· Hill-start Assist Control (HAC) fitted as standard, plus Downhill Assist Control (DAC) on models with automatic transmission

· 17 or 18-inch dark-finish alloy wheels, dual-zone climate control air conditioning, automatic headlights and wipers and Toyota Easy Flat folding rear seat system standard on all models.

· Five year, 100,000 mile warranty.

SHORT STORY

The Toyota RAV4 was the inspiration for a new market segment for compact SUVs when it was launched in 1994 and it has proved an enduring success ever since.

The all-new, third generation RAV4 has set new benchmarks in the compact SUV segment with premium levels of driving performance, quality, passenger comfort and equipment.

The range includes (since 2010) a 2WD version that stands as an entry point to the line-up, powered by Toyota’s 2.2-litre D-4D diesel engine.

Engines and Transmissions

RAV4’s engines and transmissions have been developed with Toyota Optimal Drive technology to deliver strong performance together with improved fuel economy and emissions levels.

Three engines are available: a 2.0-litre Valvematic petrol engine, a 2.2-litre D-4D diesel, and a 2.2 D-CAT diesel. In October 2010 the 2.2 D-4D and 2.0 Valvematic engines were revised to meet Euro 5 emissions standards; the 2.2 D-4D gained a diesel particulate filter (DPF) and adjustments were made to the engine management system on the 2.0 Valvematic. The 2.2 D-CAT engine met the required emissions performance from launch.

The supermarket fuel thing is like the 2 stroke diesel debate - well versed.

Now this D-CAT v DPF is another story. At the moment my info says that it is only D-CATs that have the DPF but I will see what I can dig up.

Cheers Don, just curiosity to a degree, not that I would recognise one if it was in front of me.... Is there a way of seeing it? Or a warning/regeneration light?

Gus

Edit the specs show a massive difference in particulate emissions between the d-4d and the d-cat.

having searched I see that it's all conjecture and "gossip" - in much the same way as some prefer additives and some don't.

Thanks for the help and advice.

having searched I see that it's all conjecture and "gossip" - in much the same way as some prefer additives and some don't.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Sorry buddy I wasn't avoiding your question. It isn't conjecture and if you ask your dealer they will tell you that premium fuel is better used to avoid clogging the EGR and the DPF. The supermarket fuel is devoid of the detergent additives that prevent the clogging. Try it yourself. If you clean the EGR then use only high grade fuel for say 5000 miles then look inside. You will find soft black soot but none of the sticky black carbon that messes things up. The engine and all the bolt on bits can deal with soot without problems.

Cheers Don, just curiosity to a degree, not that I would recognise one if it was in front of me.... Is there a way of seeing it? Or a warning/regeneration light?

Gus

Edit the specs show a massive difference in particulate emissions between the d-4d and the d-cat.

If you look down the back of the engine you can see the cat. If there is a DPF you will see several pipes that come up to a valve on a bracket on the engine near the steering column end. These pipes measure the pressure on each side of the DPF and will initiate a cleaning purge when the back pressure is too high. Look if you can see the pipes.

I'll have a look later and take my trusty camera as well.

Gus

Brownie 127 will NOT fit into that space, Gus......