Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0 D4D T3 Fails Mot On Emissions Despite Main Dealer Service!

JB101

Hi all!

Long time no post (due to the reliability of my Corolla!!) and I've been in France for a couple of years working but got the shock of my life yesterday :o . This doesn't seem to add up to me, what do you guys think? Apologies if this is a bit long winded I'll try and list all salient points. As I was sat in the dealers with this happening all I could think was "Can't wait to type this up on the TOC forum and see what they think"....

Bought 2004 (54) 2.0 D4D T3 in August 2010 with 42k miles, FSH. Serviced before delivery.

In September 2010 I moved to live in France temporarily which then got extended so ....

In January 2011 I started the process of importing the car to France. Got the nearest Toyota Main Dealer to supply and fit a set of LHD headlights. Passed a "Controle Technique" (French MoT equivalent) with flying colours, zero faults, at 47k miles. Got French plates fitted. Sorted.

In June 2011 my glow plugs failed (start times were getting longer) so got main dealer to replace them and do an intermediate 50k service (at 51k miles).

Returned to the UK this month and now need to import car back into UK.

Went to nearest Toyota main dealer here yesterday to:

- refit my UK headlights;

- do a Full+ 60k service (currently on 58.3k miles);

- change the timing belt; and

- give me an MoT so I can get some VIN plate insurance and get my old reg back from DVLA!

Dropped the car off at 8am and walked into nearest town. Got a call at 10am saying it had failed MoT on brake binding and emissions :o Emissions was the last thing I would have expected having had the car main dealer serviced at correct intervals and having only done 17k in the two years I've had it.

Main dealer said, and I quote "the oil was black sludge" and it was smoking (I guess it would under really heavy revs). I've never seen any smoke from the car under normal driving even under hard acceleration. Doesn't smoke when starting, never drops or burns oil. This is the bit I don't understand having had it changed at 51k last June. I don't drive like an old woman & I'm not a boy racer. In France the roads are pretty clear so lots of 50-60mph A roads, hardly any town driving. The car did a couple of long autoroute trips to the South of France in that time too and got me back to the UK, all without a single incident.

Apparently the first emission test failed, so the technician revved the nuts off it and the second test was worse! They were scared to do any more without the timing belt was changed (which needed doing and was requested by me anyway). To cut a long story short what should have been a 4-5hr service and timing belt change job took nearly 9hrs before they finally managed to get it past the emissions test after a full engine flush and two road trips.

I'm grateful she passed as I can get on with the re-import but I'm also perplexed. I know 17k over two years (9k first year, 8k this year) is not a huge amount but I'm self-employed so have no commute. Car gets used twice a week on runs of 20-30m sometimes more, sometimes less. How can oil changed at 51k turn into "black sludge"?? Every time I have checked the oil level it's looked brown but also transluscent and fresh to my eyes.

Also, the MoT was carried out before the service so I guess the engine wasn't at it's optimum emissions wise with the old filters on.

Really didn't expect this from the 2.0 D4D with a good service history but perhaps the emissions here are *that* stringent now? Or could it have been the French diesel? Tended to fill up from supermarkets as it was cheaper. Wondering now if I shouldn't stick to the dear stuff every other fill?

Thoughts?! It's dented my confidence in the car a bit which is a shame because it's been absolutely great for me in all weathers and a fun to drive.

JB101

p.s. just had a call from the dealer. They forgot to replace my dipstick so are sending someone out with it..... :o :)

That does sound odd. Diesels are alot harder on oil than petrols, maybe it wasn't changed at the last service or they used a poor quality oil.

Thanks for the reply Steve.

Yep I was stunned to hear that. The UK dealer had no explanation other than it dodn't look like it had been changed. The French dealer was always brilliant (despite my ropey French) and never gave me cause for alarm. Did a new set of glow plugs while I waited, even alerted me to the fact they'd scratched the front bumper when fitting the French plates (they're riveted on) and retouched it up for me. Really nice guys.

Their service receipt says "Castrol" for the "L'huile" type. But the way it's been described it's like it was never changed. I guess it could have been an oversight. Mistakes happen. I've got no proof either way though. Just glad she's now through the MoT. Got VIN plate insurance yesterday so just waiting for the DVLA forms to arrive then off to the local office.

Going to feel weird paying road-tax again.... :o

Oil can turn to what looks like black sludge in a diesel over a period of time, particularly if cheaper grades of oil have been used, it does not mean it is actually sludge, but a dark gloopy looking oil. The MOT smoke test is a bit ruthless, it is one of the questions that has to be asked with a diesel, "has your cambelt been changed" as the revs used for the smoke test are high. I see lots of diesels that fail the smoke test, for a variety of reasons, they can normally be cured with an injection cleaner put through the system (cured as in sufficient to pass the MOT)

Kingo :thumbsup:

It's a shame I never got to see the oil. I think there may have been some exaggeration going on :) Yes, the engine flush did the job. Once that had been done and the engine refilled with fresh oil and run for a few miles she passed.

I had asked for the cambelt to be done as I knew from the helpful posts here, 60k was the time to get it changed. The dealer said I should have had it done at 6 years (when the car had done 42k) because it's time vs miles and whichever comes sooner. I've always gone on miles figuring these things don't perish naturally and it's a bit of a money-making wheeze?!

Thanks for the comments. Hoping the Mobil that's just gone in will do better than the French Castrol.... :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links