Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tailgate Bike Rack

barrycoll

I am sure that this topic has been covered before, just as it had with the IQ forum, but fresh info spometimes becomes available..

at present I have a Golf Estate with a tow bar bike rack, which works brilliantly when taking our 2 bikes down to Spain, and allows easy access for rides at the end of a days drive.....but am thinking of changing for a Prius, as the local servicing of my IQ (by Twinspark Motors, in West Hampstead) has been so very pleasant

I know that Toy dealers offer a Roof Rack, but I have been there and done that, and its painful....there are times when the bike is above your head, and wont fit into the saddle/bar fittings provided, and it all starts to get a bit desperate....so tailgate it is

Has any body used a strap on rack such as a Saris Bones, or something similar.......or is it acceptable, or even possible, to fit a tow hitch for a bike rack, and with no intention of doing any towing..????

the tailgate is quite lengthy, but the lip under the number plate looks substantial...

any ideas folks??????????

cheers Barryc.

on the usa prius forum. a lot of members use the saris bones bikerack. it is shaped to clear the rear deflector.

this would be my choice.

they retail around £120 ok.

you can also fit a tow hitch for bikes not sure how much these go for.

Thanks Alan....

I read somewhere that a tow hitch was verbotten by Toyota...something to do with the Battery not being strong enough to drag trailer when the main petrol engine wasn't running........but I may be wrong...

If the Bones unit works for 2 bikes, it may well be the answer...

on the other hand, as 3000 out of my 5000 annual mileage is a Spanish trip, so maybe a derv VW would stlll be a better bet MPG wise

what would others think about this too??

problems ...problems!!

ah i think you misunderstood me .

the tow hitch is an actual bike rack fitted under the vehicle so you dont actually tow anything.

ive read about these on the Gen III (2010+) Toyota Prius Forums - PriusChat Forums.

browse through this forum and ask about it there.

Hi,

I have the Gen 2 Prius. I have pair of Toyota roof cycle racks which are really good compared with my previous experience of older style. I'm pretty sure they are Mont Blanc Barracudas. They are very easy to lock the bikes onto. However I do agree getting them lifted up there can be difficult at times. I'm 6`4" so its not too bad for me. Also by the time you buy roof bars and two carriers you are into several hundred pounds.

I also have a rear tailgate carrier for the Prius. Its also a MONT BLANC the newest model of it is the EASY GO 10. These basically lock to the top and bottom of the tailgate. There is no loose straps. You buy a specific fitting kit and then after inital adjustment two levers lock and unlock it from the car. Only takes a minute or so to attach securely to the car. I use clear protectors on the car where the rack attaches to vehicle and also the top of bumper, so I can sit it there to assist fitting. Basically small squares of clear protector tape (cheap on e bay). I got mine a couple of years ago for less than £70 at machine mart including specific fitting kit for Prius. I did also fit an electric point at rear to fit a back board as the bike wheels do block the lights. That only cost me about £70 as well. I normally use the rear carrier if I'm only carrying a couple of bikes as its quickest to fit no mucking about with roof bars first, as I don't like to leave roof bars on the car.The rear carrier carries up to 3 bikes, although I find 3 quite a squeeze. One issue I do have with it (unless they have improved on latest model) the fitting kit metal straps are long for the Prius which makes storing rack with them in place awkward. I remove for storing as again only takes a minute to refit them

I did look for some time at rear hitches and carriers such as Thule which I had on previous cars, but including electrics and fitting the price was i thought just too much, particularly as you can't really use it for much else. With previous cars I had occasionally towed trailers so the towbar served a dual purpose and was worth it. One disadvantage of the Prius. Now everything gets thrown in the car for the skip run.

http://www.montblancgroup.com/en/bike-carriers

Thanks Alan and PMF.....nice of you to fill in the gaps for me...

I would imagine that an 'almost' tow bar rack would be a Toy town accessory, and not an after market piece of kit...

........but will check it out for price and availability

PMFs tailgate options sound reassuring, especially if they are strapless(!!)....on the other hand, the Mont Blanc website suggests tow bar racks for the 09- Prius, but that must have a ? at this stage

bit of research to do now............but thanks again guys...............barrycoll

Like PMF I use the Mont Blanc rack and "ditto" his comments about the long arms. Prior to going for this rack I tried to track down a "tow-hitch" style as I had also seen this fitted to other Prius's - but couldn't source them. The Mont Blanc provides a secure fit and hold 3 bikes for me no problem. I've yet to get the electrics sorted to support a lighting board, but don't suppose that will be too much of a problem. Incidentally, i managed to get the rack 2nd hand (in new condition) on eBay for £52, a very reasonable solution.

I have a Thule tow bar and non-towing ball fitted to my Gen 3

Here is the link

http://www.thule.com/en/GB/Products/Towing/IntegratedBikeRacks/Rear-Mount-Connector

It takes 1 minute to fit my Thule 3 bike rack and is fantastic

It was fitted by Indespension in Reading last November

well this is getting very interesting now, as the gaps are filling in nicely....

seems like a Mont Blanc will do the trick but a Thule rear hitch would be even nicer....

....so I hate to be cheeky Tim, but what did the set up cost from Indispension??

I can imagine that it was pricey, but as I had a tow hitch fitted to an Audi TT roadster a couple of years ago, I know what the obsession with carrying bikes can cost.....

...as it happens, all my toww hitches have been Witter design, with a simple upright pole sitting into a socket on the tow bar, and pair of cow horns mounting the 2 bikes.....you can't open the boot, but that wasn't a problem, and I have kept the upright and horns, and moved it from one car to the next, usually Golk Estates, with the Audi as a one off...

as for the Mont Blanc Easy 10 models, there seem to be a whole lot to choose from, so can't quite figure the solid mount design as recommended???

cheers folks................barrycoll

Barry

The full kit including electrics and fitting was £422.40 - it seemed expensive at the time but I have used it so many times this summer it has been well worth it.

Tim

thanks Tim...well thats slightly less than I [paid for the Audi tt tow bar itself(!!)......but does that include the 3 bike unit as well???

I suppose that menas that I could sell the Witter upright and cow horns, but keep my lighting board....

cheers mate Barry c.

• 2 weeks later...

I have also undertaken some research on this subject recently and the only trunk mounted rack I can find which appears approved for use in the UK is the Saris Bike Porter 2. I have purchased this, though not used it as it definitely obscures all the rear lighting. This I suspect is going to be an issue with any rear mounted rack (Hitch or Trunk mounted). The rack certainly fits on the car OK without fouling the spoiler. The next challenge is to sort out the lighting. I have persuaded my friendly Toyota dealer to sell me the Stand alone Bike Holder wiring Kit for the Gen III Prius Part number PZ457-G0561-A0. Your going to need this whatever solution you choose. An earlier post back in 2010 referred to a second loom being available as well. I have not, however, been able to find any further reference to this. Obviously if your going to buy one give the dealer your VIN to be certain you've got the right kit. Now the wiring kit looks good but it will cost £100, not cheap I know and Toyota would like to charge you 2 hours labour to fit it. This does not look unreasonable looking at the detailed fitting instructions which you can find here. http://www.toyota-te...M_002_125_0.pdf

The majority of the work amounts to removing enough trim panels to gain access to route the loom. This is not rocket science, but can be tricky without destroying the fittings. Also the external plug appears to fit to the Bike Holder hitch, which is something I am not fitting so I will post my solution to this later. I'm hoping to find some short cuts to removing all the trim. My real hobby is maintaining an original Mini Cooper, so I've got hands with 3 X 18" double jointed fingers that are used to working in the dark. I'm hoping this helps !!!. I've got to fit the Wiring Kit this weekend so I will take lots of photo's with a view to posting a guide on how to fit the kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a gen 3 Prius and realised that carrying bikes problematic. Very interested in the post re Thule connector fitted in Reading. My local Thule dealer didn't seem to know about this no towing towbar and I wondered if anyone else had one fitted elsewhere, as i live in Kent. Interested how the connector is fitted to the car and is it just like a standard fitting.

Any further info would be much appreciated.

Just bought a gen 3 Prius and realised that carrying bikes problematic. Very interested in the post re Thule connector fitted in Reading. My local Thule dealer didn't seem to know about this no towing towbar and I wondered if anyone else had one fitted elsewhere, as i live in Kent. Interested how the connector is fitted to the car and is it just like a standard fitting.

Any further info would be much appreciated.

The Thule Dealers weren't very helpful so i spoke to Thule Direct - the Towing people rather than the Roof Rack people and they gave me all the details including the part numbers I needed to order. I then spoke to the dealer in Reading and they had to speak to the Thule Towing people to get all the details

Try this link for details of the kit

http://www.thule.com/en/GB/Products/Towing/TowingSystems

and click on 'Find your perfect fit' in the bottom left hand corner of the page

Thanks very much, Dacre, looks extremely helpful and I think I will go down this road.

Hoping to pick up the car tomorrow, so I guess long learning curve ahead.

Bit concerned about Toyota warrenty, if any kind of bar fitted but guess this would get over the towing question as exclusively for bikes.

Happy motoring and cycling

Thanks very much, Dacre, looks extremely helpful and I think I will go down this road.

Hoping to pick up the car tomorrow, so I guess long learning curve ahead.

Bit concerned about Toyota warrenty, if any kind of bar fitted but guess this would get over the towing question as exclusively for bikes.

Happy motoring and cycling

Since I have had the bike bar fitted it has been serviced twice at different Toyota dealers and no comment has been made although I haven't had any work done under warranty