Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Winter Driving - Would I Be Wasting My Money

crustyclam

I switch to winter tyres (Michelin Latitude Alpin) on 1 Oct and back on 1 March. They have significantly better grip in winter conditions. The tyre supplier I bought them from swaps the tyres over and stores the ones he's taken off free of charge. One initial outlay and, as long as you keep the vehicle a few years (or buy a new one just the same!) you'll get the full value of them

The tyre supplier I bought them from swaps the tyres over and stores the ones he's taken off free of charge.

I don't think there are many suppliers in the UK who will do this unlike the continent.

Wishing to cast nasturtiums, wouldn't taking tyres off rims and putting them back on a few times not stretch the rim cord eventually ??

And regarding weather, shouldn't you be looking for deep tread waders?

Now that we have recovered wur seriously off-roading capable landrover from the eejit who had it for 4 years to fit a better engine and did nothing until I phoned his local cop-shop, I'm looking forward to one day when it starts and keeps running so it can be tried through 4' of deep mud with its off-road tyres. Before that happens I need to lose 50kg from my waistline but! Did you know how small a 1963 landrover cab is !!

And thanks for asking bout my health - somewhat depressed after my father died in May as I can't talk about him - down to respect - or maybe that'll change? Then been busy with oor charity work and the admin that goes with it. Sadly number 1 is waiting for my attention to replace the speedo so I can send it for an MOT after its rollcage was fitted. I just can't get mobile enough to do the stuff since the Golden Gloobilly Hospital refused to replace my knackered knees as my sleep apnoea is so chronic. The OSA is being treated by linking me up to a 16.1 bar compressor which solves the sleeptime multiple deaths (stop breathing) but has the side-effect of eating curried brussel sprouts every night. Fatting (passing wind) is now a dangerous :blowup: but frequent daily occurence :lol: However, it keeps the number of passengers willing to travel with me down! (memo to self - must buy a chair waterproof cover).

Currently i have 8mm tread all round on Geo GO51 all season. They are great in Wet / Dry conditions now in summer, but looking at reviews very poor in snow.

Lee. Winter tyres are clearly worth having if you can afford the outlay. Remember your tyres will then last you more than double the time they currently do as they are getting half the use per year and being used as best suited to the weather meaning they last longer. Ie summer tyres in winter wear faster due to the compound become harder and more brittle.

That said, you are in a fortunate position that you have GO51s which if my memory serves me well are AT tyres. As such if you cannot afford the outlay you should still have superb grip in the snow. As for in cold wet you'll be not much better off than those if us with G091s.

It comes to down to hard cash, if you can afford it do it, but do it properly...new rims and all..

If you can afford it, added safety is never a waste of money, having said that I agree with Gus most conditions met in the UK can be covered by adjusting one's driving allowing a decision to be made whether the money can be better used.

The comment on 2-wheel drive cars out performing 4x4's on standard road tyres has been shown correct in several independent tests. A point to note is that the RAV is not on standard road tyres, the current Geolandars and previous Bridgestones are M+S rated. From the information I received from a major motoring organisation tyres marked on the sidewall with M+S or the mountain symbol meet the requirements for winter driving in Alpine regions and parts of Europe where the use of winter tyres is a legal requirement. If conditions are worse than the Alps in winter I do my utmost to avoid driving at all, luckily it's only a 5 mile walk round trip to town to buy vital supplies if things are that bad.

John

From what I have been told the M+S rating is a load of 'sloblock' <think about it!>. true mud and snow tyres for use on the continent need to have the alpine mountain mark on it. I'm sure I read that on here somewhere!!!

My tuppence worth...

Wheels sold now..

Take care everyone !

Darn, that was a good deal. Oh well snooze and you loose. I would have taken them off you for sure.

Re refurb, I can do you 'mates rates' in time for the winter season as will be setup by then to do full wheel refurbishing ;)

Re Charlie's wheels .... That's your best option anyway IMO :thumbsup:

Thankyou for the offer, still browsing eBay in the hope of a decent set. I did make an offer on a set on there at the moment. (complete with rings). I had contemplated plucking up the courage to cut them off myself. Anyway offer was rejected.

Currently i have 8mm tread all round on Geo GO51 all season. They are great in Wet / Dry conditions now in summer, but looking at reviews very poor in snow.

Lee. Winter tyres are clearly worth having if you can afford the outlay. Remember your tyres will then last you more than double the time they currently do as they are getting half the use per year and being used as best suited to the weather meaning they last longer. Ie summer tyres in winter wear faster due to the compound become harder and more brittle.

That said, you are in a fortunate position that you have GO51s which if my memory serves me well are AT tyres. As such if you cannot afford the outlay you should still have superb grip in the snow. As for in cold wet you'll be not much better off than those if us with G091s.

It comes to down to hard cash, if you can afford it do it, but do it properly...new rims and all..

If you can afford it, added safety is never a waste of money, having said that I agree with Gus most conditions met in the UK can be covered by adjusting one's driving allowing a decision to be made whether the money can be better used.

The comment on 2-wheel drive cars out performing 4x4's on standard road tyres has been shown correct in several independent tests. A point to note is that the RAV is not on standard road tyres, the current Geolandars and previous Bridgestones are M+S rated. From the information I received from a major motoring organisation tyres marked on the sidewall with M+S or the mountain symbol meet the requirements for winter driving in Alpine regions and parts of Europe where the use of winter tyres is a legal requirement. If conditions are worse than the Alps in winter I do my utmost to avoid driving at all, luckily it's only a 5 mile walk round trip to town to buy vital supplies if things are that bad.

John

From what I have been told the M+S rating is a load of 'sloblock' <think about it!>. true mud and snow tyres for use on the continent need to have the alpine mountain mark on it. I'm sure I read that on here somewhere!!!

My tuppence worth...

The GO51's are Highway tyres, so not much of an aggressive tread. I read a review somewhere that descibed it as a 3 season tyre.

No compalints so far though.

The tyre supplier I bought them from swaps the tyres over and stores the ones he's taken off free of charge.

I don't think there are many suppliers in the UK who will do this unlike the continent.

Definately would want extra alloys, wouldn't want to pay each season for the tyres to be swapped over and rebalanced. Not sure what this would cost but i expect it would be around £15 - 20 a corner. Then i suppose there is the potential damage to existing rims each time the tyre is swapped.

• 2 weeks later...

well i've ordered some new alloys (WSP) + goodyear extragrip suv 225/65/R17 today.

Will stick em on earlier october, tried to go for tyres with good wet performance / aquaplaning resistance (according to reviews).

Given the winters in the North West rain features highly.

• 1 month later...

A point to note is that the RAV is not on standard road tyres, the current Geolandars and previous Bridgestones are M+S rated. From the information I received from a major motoring organisation tyres marked on the sidewall with M+S or the mountain symbol meet the requirements for winter driving in Alpine regions and parts of Europe where the use of winter tyres is a legal requirement.

Anyone know if this is true / confirmed? Facing a possible trip in Germany where they are a legal requirement.

EDIT: Just answered the question - thanks to the German Embassy website:

As of 4 Dec 2010 drivers of cars and motorbikes are required to have their cars fitted with winter tyres when driving in slushy, snowy or icy conditions.

Failure to do so can incur a fine of 40 Eur and one point on your licence. This will increase to 80 Eur and one point if you cause an obstruction.

Additionally your insurance may not cover any damage caused in an accident.

Winter tyres are marked with “M+S”, and/ or a mountain pictogram.

If your car is not fitted with these tyres you can still drive provided there are no wintry conditions on the roads, i.e. slush, snow or ice.

If I may stick my paddle in again... I live in Croatia where winter tyres are a legal requirement, they were a complete mysery to me at first but now I've driven on them through 7 winters I wouldn't feel safe without them. My first experience of them was in my old 406 estae, on a cold wet road the usual idiot decided to cut across the front of me so I slammed on the brakes - to my amazement the ABS didn't even cut in and the car pulled quickly to a stop without any fuss. That was me sold anyway. They were Sava Eskomos, fairly cheap as they go and well down the charts but they impressed the hell out of me. The present winter tyres on my present 406 are Klebers (remember them?) which come even cheaper than the Savas but, after a bit of sliding about last winter, I'm thinking maybe too cheap. Still, I have the RAV now. Or will, when the garage has finished with it again (flipping emissions...)

European winter tyres laws - http://www.tyremen.co.uk/help-and-advice/european-winter-tyre-laws.aspx Note Croatia doesn't actually have a date, just "in wintery conditions", whatever that means. I was going to go with Austria (1st November) but the weather forecast last weekwas for snow, not that I always believe the weather forecast, but I decided I may as well, and after all the sleet & snow we've had the last few days I'm glad I did.

I had M+S tyres on my previos 4x4 Nissan Navara (can't remember which, sorry) and they were appaling - the first time it snowed I thought "yipee - I've got a 4x4" and rushed out for a drive, to find I had almost no traction on half an inch of slush and turning the steering wheel didn't actually do much at anything over a crawl. You know, it's quite embarrassing to be driving along on a tiny bit of snow in 4L being overtaken by Yugos... I've since read (on here?) that there aren't any standards for M&S (sic) tyres, which kind of figures. I guess this is more-or-less the same for all season tyres, from what I hear they're ok for summer and winter but not brilliant at either. Far better to have dedicated tyres.

One worry is tyres lasting too long - because you now have two sets they will last longer and you have to remember that they age, which is why the way you store them is so important.- http://global.yokohamatire.net/technology/tirecareandsafety/tire_storage.html Note the stuff on protecting them from sunlight, it makes me think of all the Suzukis floating about with a chunky tyre on the back door...

Changing tyres on and off rims will damage them, there's also the chance some spanner monkey will damage your rims. It can be done two or three times without any major risk though, so I would suggest anyone thinking about buying winter tyres could put them on their existing wheels to try them out and either buy another set of wheels next year or sell them on if they're not impressed. I'm pretty sure they will be though.

Yes, all 4 wheels, unless you like going backwards.

HTH

Right, who else has driven with snow chains? :boxed:

I told my insurer (Toyota) and they welcomed me using winter tyres with no impact on the premium.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links