Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone Out There Who Knows About '99 Toyota Avensis Immobilisers

ChristineMitchell

Good afternoon - as a new member and owner of my beloved toyota avensis, albeit old gal at 1999 - I was upset to find I had inadvertently make the immobiliser stick by turning the key on and off in the ignition in order to wipe the rain-soaked windows - several times I am afraid. On giving up the ghost because of the weather I decided to go home, the engine sounds as if it will start but will no fire - both breakdown vehicle and my little local garage confirm the immobiliser is stuck but after attempts at locking/unlocking/ it, disconnecting Battery etc. the car still will not start and is sat in the garage whilst I am walking to and from work in the rain. Is there anyone out there who can advise how to reset? The local toyota garage have said they cannot do as it is too old?? Thank you, Christine

Hi - although I appear to be replying to myself I thought the solution would be of help to other users - by looking through your forum subjects and discovering one by a gentleman who had same problem after sorting out his sunroof (but having the ignition on/off) by putting the key in the ignition and turning to 'on' and leaving for 30 mins - this reset the immobiliser and it will now start. Thanks to all.. Christine

Hi Christine,

Sounds like you sorted the problem out, and all within a couple of hours :) good times.. and welcome to the TOC.

Well done Christine. Welcome to the TOC.

• 1 year later...

Thank you so much for your post Christine. I got stuck after leaving my ignition turned on and leaving the key in for a few hours. Couldn't start my 1999 avensis after I returned. RAC attended and suggested an immobiliser issue, but had to abandon the car and probably get towed to a garage the next day. But after trying your solution - hey presto the car started. I was so relieved and pleased. Thank you so much for replying to your original post with your solution. It was a great help. Thanks again Tony.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links