Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T22 Avensis - Door Lock & Interior Light Issues!

raj.1995

Hi,

I have just bought my first car, a 1999 T plate Avensis 1.8 SE, and have had a few problems!

I have done the following modifications, incase these may be to blame:

• Ice blue 55w H7 dipped bulbs
  • LED W5W sidelight bulbs
  • Sony headunit
  • Universal cone air filter (unlikely to cause the problems I know)

I have 2 keys on the keyring.

• One key has remote central locking buttons however this does not fit the drivers door lock manually. This does fit in the ignition and start the car though.
  • One key fits the drivers door lock AND starts the car

The other day my remote locking died, and I have replaced the batteries in the fob but they still do not work. Also when using the other key in the door lock, it only locks the drivers door, meaning the other 3 passenger doors and boot stay unlocked.

Managed to temporarily fix it by using the interior locks on the passenger doors but the boot is still unsecured.

My interior lights also do not work now, even with the regular filament bulbs in (I had a 30mm 12 smd blue bulb in the interior light and 6 led bayonet fitting bulbs for the reading light, as well as a 36mm 3 smd blue bulb in the boot). I could not test the LED interior lights as they stopped working, however the boot light did work for a few days before this problem happened.

A mate seems to think it could be low Battery causing this, but I can't take it out to charge it properly as it isn't taxed/insured at the moment. I did leave it to idle on the drive for an hour or so earlier but still no change.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have just bought my first car, a 1999 T plate Avensis 1.8 SE, and have had a few problems!

I have done the following modifications, incase these may be to blame:

• Ice blue 55w H7 dipped bulbs
  • LED W5W sidelight bulbs
  • Sony headunit
  • Universal cone air filter (unlikely to cause the problems I know)

I have 2 keys on the keyring.

• One key has remote central locking buttons however this does not fit the drivers door lock manually. This does fit in the ignition and start the car though.
  • One key fits the drivers door lock AND starts the car

The other day my remote locking died, and I have replaced the batteries in the fob but they still do not work. Also when using the other key in the door lock, it only locks the drivers door, meaning the other 3 passenger doors and boot stay unlocked.

Managed to temporarily fix it by using the interior locks on the passenger doors but the boot is still unsecured.

My interior lights also do not work now, even with the regular filament bulbs in (I had a 30mm 12 smd blue bulb in the interior light and 6 led bayonet fitting bulbs for the reading light, as well as a 36mm 3 smd blue bulb in the boot). I could not test the LED interior lights as they stopped working, however the boot light did work for a few days before this problem happened.

A mate seems to think it could be low battery causing this, but I can't take it out to charge it properly as it isn't taxed/insured at the moment. I did leave it to idle on the drive for an hour or so earlier but still no change.

Thanks!

Hi,

Sounds like we've got the same car! I've also got a T-reg SE with the same sidelights and dipped bulbs and sony stereo! Is yours silver by any chance?

As for your questions, I don't know about the key in the door physically (damaged lock?). As for the remote locking, a few weeks ago I was fudging around trying to fit an LED interior bulb (as you were!) when I managed to make it stop working, along with the remote locking and dashboard clock. It turns out these three share one fuse and in trying to fit the bulb I had shorted it to the metal of the roof and shorted it, blowing the fuse.

The fuse in question is in the under-bonnet fuse box to the right hand side of the Battery. From memory the fusebox 'map' is on the underside of the lid and this one is marked 'DOME' and is a brown 7.5A blade fuse.

Hope this helps!

Richard :)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Thank you, Richard. You just 'saved my bacon' ;-). I own an Avensis from year 2000. I changed the shocks both in the front and back, and I probably shorted the wires for the interior lights in the back (it is a hatch back) - with the same result. Your memory was 100% correct.

• Like 1

Yes the Dome fuse that causes problems with the central locking on Mk1 Avensis.

Also note that sometimes the fuse metal degrades without blowing, causing the same effect as blown fuse. This renders the central locking dead. This happened to me a long time ago.

Glad you found the answer on the forum.