Do Not Sell My Personal Information

About To Buy . . 3Rd Gen Prius

ProfZarkov

Hi Guys

Wel, I'm adjacent to buying an almost new Prius - saw one in Bristol only 300 miles, 2012 plates!

It's a T3 and I'm confused as to what is std and what isn't!

Page 6 of the take-away Prius book says that 6 things are "std across the range"

And these include

1. Touch screen for multimedia - inc USB or aux in

2. Rear-view camera

3.Hands-free answering via bluetooth

4. SMS

5. Full map SatNav

6. Connected services

Are these really on the T3?

What maps and updates come with the SatNav?

I drove the old Mk 2 Prius for years as a works car and got about 56 mpg all the time.

They claim 70-72 mpg for this beastie - has anyone got close to this?

Cheers

Prof.

Hi Prof, just on the mpg question, my 2011 Prius Anniversary (a T Spirit plus a few bits)ranges between 50 and 59 mpg. Once I settled into the 'Prius driving style' I average about 53 mpg. Hope this helps.

<p>

Hi Guys

Wel, I'm adjacent to buying an almost new Prius - saw one in Bristol only 300 miles, 2012 plates!

At least you get a proper warranty with that, rather than the weasel warranty that came with the first six months of the Gen III.

It's a T3 and I'm confused as to what is std and what isn't!

Page 6 of the take-away Prius book says that 6 things are "std across the range"

And these include

1. Touch screen for multimedia - inc USB or aux in

2. Rear-view camera

3.Hands-free answering via bluetooth

4. SMS

5. Full map SatNav

6. Connected services

Are these really on the T3?

Sadly Toyota GB don't have a good track record for getting things right in their brochures. I'm thinking of the dual zone climate control, but I think other things have been mentioned on this forum. Sadly, If there is anything in the brochure that you really want, you need to check it with the dealer or Customer Services.

What maps and updates come with the SatNav?

I think I read that the update process has greatly improved since the earlier Gen IIIs, with three years updates thrown in. Check this carefully, because you really don't want the update process and cost for the earlier Gen III hard drive systems.

I drove the old Mk 2 Prius for years as a works car and got about 56 mpg all the time.

I've averaged just over 56mpg in 80,000 miles (compared with around 54mpg for my previous Gen III). The best ever tank was a bit short of 65mpg.You should get around 2 mpg better with the T3, if it still has the 15 inch wheels.It forever amazes me that all the Prius demonstrators that have the 72 mpg figure on the side are T-Spirits which only have an official 70mpg.

Overall, a good car, sold by a company that really doesn't care about its customers once the car is sold.

I also doubt the Sat Nav is included on a T3. I think it would an option on the T3, which means it does not come as standard. But because the Toyota Touch system is flexible, they are probably using marketing speak to say it can be added?

If I am right, you can pay lots of money to buy the option to upgrade your Touch on a T3 and then you'll get some free updates except you paid for them because they are loaded up front into the price of the expensive upgrade option, or if you buy a T-Spirit it is hidden in the overall price of the car.

The MPG gauge on my 2010 T4 Prius (with 17 inch wheels) was showing an average of 57 MPG per tankful; since the last service it's showing 59MPG.

That's mostly urban commute and with air conditioning on virtually all the time.

On longer trips (60 miles or so) I have logged 80MPG or more. So, yes, the 70MPG is entirely achievable in real world driving. However, by the sound of it, if you averaged 56MPG in the Gen 2 Prius I think 59-60 MPG is probably a reasonable expectation for a Gen 3 T3. Paradoxically, the increase in traffic density and delays by roadworks should see your average MPG improving if anything - the Prius fuel consumption really rewards gentle driving at slower speeds. It really is a car very well suited to today's traffic conditions - in the urban environment anyway.

I believe 1 to 3 (maybe 4) are standard across the range. Sat Nav is an £850 option

Thanks for all the replies - get to do a test drive tomorrow - so I'll check out the p6 "in-car conveniences"!

Cheers

Hello

Well had the test drive - all's well. Seems much more spacious than the earlier model.

You guys were right - the T3 is basic! NONE of the "standard across the range" items are included.

No 6" touch screen at all - no bluetooth, no USB, no SatNav, rear view camera . . . brochure just plain wrong!!

However, the price refects this . . . £16k for a 2012 car with only 300 miles on the clock!

There is an aux input so you can plug your mp3 player in . . .

We shall see.

From what you've said I do not think you were driving the new 2012 version of the Prius. You must have been driving a late build of the previous Gen 3, remember models usually change over sometime during the year, so you'll have the old version and face lift in the same year. I assume you were driving an ex-demonstrator for sale rather than booking a test drive to buy a new Prius? The dealer has priced it lower because it is effectively the old model.

Oh yes I am!

Def. 2012 model - registered March 2012.

Just the difference between T3/4/Spirit!

Brochure wrong but I knew what I was getting.

Oh yes I am!

Okay. I think your conclusion is flawed but it's not my money and I can see there is little point in trying to convince you otherwise.

Mmm, tricky isn't it.

It has the 1.8 engine etc

Cntral console

HUD and all that

Not a demonstrator

Came new on their forecourt in March

Sold in June . . .

Until we have another T3 owner . . . who can say!

I'll post piccies when I take delivery.

Steve

Oh yes I am!

Does it have DRLs ? if yes, it's a facelift 2012 model, if not then its a 2010 model. At 16K I'd say it was the latter.

Hi those pics show a gen3 pre facelift model I think, I'm guessing its the old model, but just registered in March

Link below should show diffrences in external view to the newer model, especially rear lights

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?navRoot=toyota_1024_root&fullwidth=true&noLeftMenu=true&forceText=%3cnone%3e&edname=CC2-Prius-gallery&zone=Zone+NG+Prius&id=CC2-Prius-gallery

Hope this helps :)

Hi

Thanks for that. Yes, I guess you're right - the 2009 model but with 2012 plates - bit misleading of the dealer (their webpage includes 2012 facelift items) but it is still a good car and virtually new . . . as you say, hence the price. Part-exchanging my old car means a cash price of around 13k so a fair deal I think.

Its a lovely car, and still a good deal, enjoy your Prius!

Hi

Thanks for that. Yes, I guess you're right - the 2009 model but with 2012 plates - bit misleading of the dealer (their webpage includes 2012 facelift items) but it is still a good car and virtually new . . . as you say, hence the price. Part-exchanging my old car means a cash price of around 13k so a fair deal I think.

Very naughty of the dealer to list the standard features from the facelift model on the ad, but It's still a cracking price for a virtually new car, enjoy ! :driving:

I have a new facelift 2012 T3. From the photos on the dealer's website yours looks like a pre-facelift model. Is there a previous owner? The dealer? A clue are the wheels. My car has black "alloy" wheels with plastic hub caps. This is listed in the facelifted car brochure. I removed the hub caps and prefer the black alloys. I got the Tough n Go Plus upgrade, which gives me full satnav and voice control, plus pearlescent white paint. I get 57mpg on a 30 mile, 70mph daily commute, plus weekend town driving. I really like the car but my main gripe is the cheap plastics inside. I have a 2003 Avensis T3-X auto and the quality of the interior is way above the Prius. Even the door "clunk" is better with the Avensis. Toyota have obviously put all the money in the hybrid technology. Have fun and enjoy the car.

Hi

Very naughty of the dealer to list the standard features from the facelift model on the ad, but It's still a cracking price for a virtually new car, enjoy ! :driving:

Agree. Definitely the previous model, the front foglamps are in the bodywork rather than in the front lower grille. So yes, it was naughty (illegal) of the dealer to use the 2012 standard feature list - it's always a good idea to check out specifically what is/is not included.

The car carries a 2012 registration it has evidently been sitting for a while so dealer is keen to shift it. Might even have been pre-registered by the dealer in order to hit sales target and get the dealer bonus from the manufacturer. In either situation the canny buyer who is not too bothered about getting the latest gizmos can get a cracking deal for a car that meets his/her objectives. Well done.

Health to enjoy!

I think that there is some confusion here. The date of registration is not the date of manufacture. I had a motorcycle which was manufactured in 2009 but was first registered to me as new in 2011.I was able to purchase the machine very cheaply from an appointed dealer due to this 'new ' motorcycle having left the factory two years previously.

This will be probably my only comment on this site I had a 2012 T spirit for a fortnight it was the worst car I have ever owned overcomplicated unecomical and reminded me of a 1974 datsun 180 how an established company can make such a car is beyond me.

I am surprised to read collos remarks.

I have 2011 Prius T Spirit (Gen 3). Best car I have owned. I am getting 64.9 MPG at the present time. It is a simple car to drive, Comfortable on long journeys. My previous Gen 2 gave 3 years trouble free motoring.

Is collos trying to wind folk up???