Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whirring Noise Occasionally On Cold Start Up 1.8 Sr

cbzcbz

Hi All,

The last few weeks my 2007 1.8SR makes a strange whirring noise on starting from cold. This noise is heard when stationary as well as when driving, but disappears after about 1 minute of driving. Also, it doesn't always do it. Never had a problem with the car until now.

I've already got it booked in at an Independent garage next week for full service and mot but just wondered if anyone has any ideas what it might be?

Thanks

Carl

Wrong grade oil affecting timing chain tension.

Hi Madasafish,

Thanks for your reply. I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to car mechanicals etc so bare with me lol! :) The only oil I've put in is the engine oil, same grade as per manual, but not sure if that affects the timing chain tension that you mentioned? It hasn't made the noise for the last 2 days so I'm puzzled but hopeful my trusted indy garage will sort it Thursday. It will probably have a full oil change Thursday any way so not sure if that will cure it?

Cheers

Carl

Hi

It could be the auxiliary drive belts, they tend to whine on cold damp starts.(It could be a very early sign for belt wear as it dries out before the cracking stage and in that case replacing the offending belt will cure problem) But more likely it could be contamination in the pulley grooves that causes the whining.

A quick simple test to see if it's the belt(s)/pulleys or not is to spray the pulley grooves with a little silicone spray when the engine is running (at the same time being extra careful not get you fingers caught in the belts) if the noise dissapears immediately then you've found the fault. Nine times out of ten it's pulley contamination (surface rust) caused by excess water spilling onto the belts and pulleys during car washing especially when the car is not driven immediately afterwards.

Hope that helps and please report back with your findings.

PS

If you don't have any silicone spray to hand you could use a little WD40 but it's not recommended for prolonged use as it has attendancy to perish rubber unlike silicone which feeds and lubricates rubber compounds.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links