Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Needed The Aa Again !

frizzy

Had a few days away in the 3600 mile Aygo Ice, parked up for an hour leaving the car in "R" as usual, it`s an MMT, on returning to it the thing refused to go. Selector stuck in R. This happened 6+ weeks ago, same thing, the main dealer checked it over then when we got home, the AA were brilliant, got it going within 30 mins. So, the AA came once more, fixed it by disconnecting 3 plugs under the bonnet which reset the thing. Rang the dealer today and explained that I really need a fix, not a temporary bodge. The technician (mechanic) said the car should be parked up in "N" not "R", this might be causing the problem. Pity he hadn`t read the handbook which clearly states it should be left parked in "R". So, they are to have the thing on Tuesday, will return me home and give it a proper going over. I really have lost faith in this, it is the 3rd. of these little cars and will be the last. But, what is the alternative for a run about?

Hope the technician sorts it, I have my doubts.

I park my aygo MMT always in R or M+ deepending on the slope (ofcourse you can also park it on neutral with the hand brake on if not steep) and I have never had the problem of starting the car. I always turn the key two notches to start position without starting the car and then press the foot brake and bring back the gear lever to neutral before starting the car. No problem what so ever!

This is exactly what I have done for the past 3 years ... I had an MMT before this one. There obviously is a fault with the electronics, only hope the dealer can/will sort it out. Am thinking of getting them to do the 1st. service for free while they`ve got the car, it`s only an oil/filter change after all.

Toyota MMT box -Normal procedures apply re parking. If you follow the correct procedure re starting that is ; Press the foot brake turn the key to first position and move lever to N there should be no sticking in gear . If you cannot easily move into neutral then something is wrong. Leaving the box in gear is an essential part of safe parking.

I have never had a problem with leaving in gear and this is the first time I have heard of such a problem. You are being fobbed off if they say leave it in neutral. Something is wrong.

Below is copy of instructions on parking with a MMT box.

"Parking: Unlike an automatic car, the P gear is absent in a MMT car. The car should be parked in the following fashion. In an up-slopping incline, put the gear to M1, or E, apply handbrake, and switch off the engine. In a down-slopping incline, put the gear to R, apply handbrake, and switch off the engine. On level ground, put the gear to R, apply handbrake, and switch off the engine. R or E/M1 substitute the P function in a full automatic."

There are more small cars coming to the market, the VW up, the seat Mii, the Skoda citygo, fiat 500/panda. I think the quailty for the toyota needs improving and the price lowering. I have a Go but will no be getting another.