Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Owner Now Worried

kenny7964

Hi Guys,

New owner here, i have been enjoying my new to me 2007 Rav XTR and looking at some of your helpfull mods like cruise control now fitted and working.

However i found a small note burried by the first owner in my service history and all it said was head gasket!

I have contacted the Garage that did the work and they confirm they replaced the head gasket at 41528 miles. she did not coment when i asked should you not have followed the toyota line on this issue and replace the engine?

She has however said she will dig out the paper work and get back to me. the other issue is i am tols there is a new recall for my car but neither the dealer nor Toyota can tell me what they what is required, they just say book it in.

Hi Guys,

New owner here, i have been enjoying my new to me 2007 Rav XTR and looking at some of your helpfull mods like cruise control now fitted and working.

However i found a small note burried by the first owner in my service history and all it said was head gasket!

I have contacted the Garage that did the work and they confirm they replaced the head gasket at 41528 miles. she did not coment when i asked should you not have followed the toyota line on this issue and replace the engine?

She has however said she will dig out the paper work and get back to me. the other issue is i am tols there is a new recall for my car but neither the dealer nor Toyota can tell me what they what is required, they just say book it in.

Hi Kenny & welcome.

I guess the first question has to be whether the garage concerned is a franchised Toyota dealer. If so then they presumably would have checked for the dreaded lurgy at the time. Even if it is the diesel engine issue then you will be OK if current mileage is within parameters of the extended warranty. If not a TGB dealer, as long as they are reputable, you should still be OK if the lurgy should strike in the future - I'm assuming the car is running OK at the moment?

The recall may be for the rear suspension arms which as far as I know from the press & this forum's threads only applies if the arms have been disassembled at any time; consequently the number of cars likely to be affected will be low.

In any event several of the forum gurus on these matters will surely be along soon and give fuller info.

Good luck.

Happy birthday on Friday (I will be golfing in That Portugal), and welcome T'club, Kenny. Maybe your head gasket was done for a very good reason.....it required doing.....or maybe because of the well documented and flogged to death issue reported hereon.

As long as your car has a decent service history, you have another two years and many, many miles of engine warranty to cover you should anything on the engine front go amiss. Now smile, and just monitor the oil consumption (if any...) and certainly keep on top of the dealer who did the work and find out why.

Big Kev.

sorry yes it was a Toyota dealer that did the Head Gasket, they are going to dig out the paper work and let me know what they find.

car has only 49000 miles now full service history by the same Toyota dealer in Stirling upto 41528 which is when the Gasket was done.

The Car was last serviced 48311 when i got it, this was two weeks ago and they are a lexus Dealer in Glasgow. car is running okay apart from fuel consumption is about 32mpg i live in the country and do not sit in urban traffic, i was hoping i would be nearer the claimed combined figure of 42 ish. I have had loads of Diesel cars but this is the only 2.2 Rav i have driven, it feels fine, a bit less torque than my last car a Discovery TD5 which should be 20 nm less torque than the Rav and the power does drop off above anything 3000rpm. is this normal?

Kenny

Happy birthday on Friday (I will be golfing in That Portugal), and welcome T'club, Kenny. Maybe your head gasket was done for a very good reason.....it required doing.....or maybe because of the well documented and flogged to death issue reported hereon.

As long as your car has a decent service history, you have another two years and many, many miles of engine warranty to cover you should anything on the engine front go amiss. Now smile, and just monitor the oil consumption (if any...) and certainly keep on top of the dealer who did the work and find out why.

Big Kev.

thanks Kev enjoy Portugal.

trying to forget about Friday as that will be me only two years away from being 50!

Two years away! What are you worried about, you puppy :-)

Kev is not far off his telegram, (trying to give you a complex Kev)

Gus

Sworkin' Gus.......has your car ever escaped from behind that fence yet....? That's what DPF really means.......Don't Peer through Fences....

Heavens above, drive it - no way, got to keep my miles down, I don't want to have to pay to service it plus if I drove it I would have to stick it through a car wash, which always upsets you :-)

Gus

sorry yes it was a Toyota dealer that did the Head Gasket, they are going to dig out the paper work and let me know what they find.

car has only 49000 miles now full service history by the same Toyota dealer in Stirling upto 41528 which is when the Gasket was done.

The Car was last serviced 48311 when i got it, this was two weeks ago and they are a lexus Dealer in Glasgow. car is running okay apart from fuel consumption is about 32mpg i live in the country and do not sit in urban traffic, i was hoping i would be nearer the claimed combined figure of 42 ish. I have had loads of Diesel cars but this is the only 2.2 Rav i have driven, it feels fine, a bit less torque than my last car a Discovery TD5 which should be 20 nm less torque than the Rav and the power does drop off above anything 3000rpm. is this normal?

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

I too have an XTR 2007. I constantly get 40-42 mpg. Mostly 15 min journeys 40 to 60 mph country roads. If you can only manage 32 you have something wrong.

I also run a TD5 Disco and I don't know about technical things like torque but I can say the Rav pees all over the Disco in most aspects (excluding towing, which is why I have it!!). From first hand experience I can also report the Rav is better in snow- official!

NB I get 29 mpg in the Disco, so by comparison if you got about the same it must be the car, not you that's at fault!!

Dave

Hi Kenny.

Is your MPG figure calculated or as indicated on the readout?

the MPG figure i quoted is a brim to brim calculation, the dash display is showing 5mpg more than i get.

Btw, my 40-42 mpg is driving "nicely". Thinking about it I would probably only get 32 if I booted everywhere! How many tankfulls are you basing it on? What fuel are you using? Do you always fill the same (I fill till it clicks off, then wait a couple of seconds the do the same once more)

Dave

the MPG figure i quoted is a brim to brim calculation, the dash display is showing 5mpg more than i get.

Not good then Kenny.

My 2008 XTR has reliably returned a calculated average of 42 MPG with a mixture of rural and motorway use. Almost exclusively on Shell regular Diesel though with the occasional tank of V Power when I can get it.

I'm a bit more worried now, lifted the bonnet tonight to check the oil and i have coolant coming out the header tank!

will be phoning the dealer in the morning.

Classic case for a new engine.I had the same problem last year and had a 3/4 engine fitted this year after they had fitted a new head gasket.Mine was done at 45000 miles.

Good luck.

Doosan

Well the car went in today to check out various problems, the main one being the engine, symptoms were coolant blowing out the header tank, coolant getting darker, using oil, 1 ltr for 1200 miles, poor mpg and hesitating above 3000rpm. phone call at lunch time to confirm what i thought, Head gasket failure!

The head gasket was done 7000 miles ago. Dealer is now submitting the paperwork for a new engine and i should have the car back by Friday.

I also have a knock from the steering, they could not get it to knock but checked problem shaft and reported no problem found. we will record it as brought to there attention whilst under the sales warrenty and let it develop.

I can live with the steering for a while but will keep at them about it, looks like the main and worrying issue will be dealt with.

Thanks for the quidance on this guys.

Kenny

I've just pinned instructions for curing the steering knock Kenny.

I've just pinned instructions for curing the steering knock Kenny.

Cheers Don i saw that last night, the dealer that is fitting the engine and looked at the steering is not the where i bought the car from, they are from the same group. i will head back to the Lexus dealer where i bought it from and push them on the steering issue.

My rav has had the steering knock since fwhen I bought it. Took to Mr T and they said my car was outside the numbers for a warranty replacement, although I am in the numbers for the engine and had a water pump under the extended warranty last year. They said that it was not a safety issue and just part of the design!!!

Keep pushing them and see what you get...