Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nightmares

battleaxe

Hi all, having owned my 09 diesel for a month now and noticing a lot of soot on the tail pipe and reading the reports on the forum I'm not a happy bunny, bought the toyota on other report on how reliable and bullet proof they are? appears not to be, have order some fortes fuel additive and going to give it some stick today to see if it clears up a bit, the rav has only done 16000 mile todate so heres hoping it last a few more miles.

regards.

B-A

?????? it's a diesel what are you expecting, fresh air with a pine scent? stop using supermarket diesel and put some quality stuff in and it will reduce but you will always have some soot. my 09 XT-R was great for sooting cars who got to close to my back.

Gus

Gust, lavender please, my point was if it's sooting up like it is, what it doing to the internals and what the best way to alleviate the problem, as you said don't use suppermarket fuel, o/k will take your advice and use Shell ( only other option around here ) anyother advice welcome.

B-A

Sorry lavender isn’t allowed, it apparently eases dropping off to sleep :closedeyes: Shell allegedly is good (some round here like V-Power, a bit pricy by my reckoning) according to the handbook vary your revs don’t just stick cruise on at 70 (2k revs) and leave it there for 200 miles, all this may be good for the engine but it plays havoc with good consumption figures. Be thankful you don’t have a CAT and/or DPF to nurse along. :driving:

What are your normal drive patterns i.e. 20 mins to the office crawling in traffic or a 30 min hack down the motorway? :scooter:

I am sure some others will be along to give their recommendations.

edit: just remembered some folks swear by BG244 or something like that, may not be the right number I just used to drop down a gear now and again and get rid of the soot, normally when it was a honda or kia behind me.....

Sorry lavender isn’t allowed, it apparently eases dropping off to sleep :closedeyes: shell allegedly is good (some round here like V-Power, a bit pricy by my reckoning) according to the handbook vary your revs don’t just stick cruise on at 70 (2k revs) and leave it there for 200 miles, all this may be good for the engine but it plays havoc with good consumption figures. Be thankful you don’t have a CAT and/or DPF to nurse along. :driving:

What are your normal drive patterns i.e. 20 mins to the office crawling in traffic or a 30 min hack down the motorway? :scooter:

I am sure some others will be along to give their recommendations.

edit: just remembered some folks swear by BG244 or something like that, may not be the right number I just used to drop down a gear now and again and get rid of the soot, normally when it was a honda or kia behind me.....

What a load of baloney the above underlined statement is! I am an artic driver and complete a Warrington to Tilbury return trip at least 4 days/nights a week (723Km round trip) Now when I'm on day shift and I do this journey, because of motorway traffic, road conditions, idiot drivers, weather and things being generally more hectic and busy I only get intermittent chances to keep her on CC for any length of time before it gets broken up by having to brake..etc! When I am on night shift I can more or less keep her on CC for the majority of the complete journey (90%..ish!) because it is quiet and pretty much free running! The results for avg fuel consumption for the above round trip are as follows:

Vehicle details: Tractor unit is a Iveco strallis 450 + 45' tlr... semi auto with a speed limiter to 56mph!

Days average= 9-11 mpg

Nights average= 14-18 mpg (mostly on CC)

Figures may not seem that different for some but you weigh that up over a year!

Steve

Steve, I dont understand if you are saying the handbook is sh!te if so then who am I to disagree, if you are saying what I said is sh!te then read the post.

according to the handbook vary your revs don’t just stick cruise on at 70 (2k revs) and leave it there for 200 miles, all this may be good for the engine but it plays havoc with good consumption figures.

As the way I read your post we are singing from the same hymn book.

Gus

Soot in the tailpipe of a diesel? Whatever next :rolleyes:

Indeed. Next he'll be telling us his tyres are wearing out! :laughing:

My tyres are wearing out and I've got soot up my exhaust. I've also noticed that the more I drive the more the fuel goes down. I'm extremly concerned.

Worried from Derbyshire.

My tyres are wearing out and I've got soot up my exhaust. I've also noticed that the more I drive the more the fuel goes down. I'm extremly concerned.

Worried from Derbyshire.

Ouch! cutting............... :yes:

Worried from Derbyshire.

A thick skin is a requirement of forum membership! :thumbsup:

Worried from Derbyshire.

A thick skin is a requirement of forum membership! :thumbsup:

I half qualify then. ! !

Del

Raistlin had his thick skin removed, although that's only circum stantional evidence :naughty:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi all, having owned my 09 diesel for a month now and noticing a lot of soot on the tail pipe and reading the reports on the forum I'm not a happy bunny, bought the toyota on other report on how reliable and bullet proof they are? appears not to be, have order some fortes fuel additive and going to give it some stick today to see if it clears up a bit, the rav has only done 16000 mile todate so heres hoping it last a few more miles.

regards.

B-A

We mock a bit but it is only in fun. Don't be worried about the soot. I use high grade diesel and my exhaust still gets sooty, especially pottering about like I do. It is quite normal so don't be put off by any of the recent ramblings. Your RAV is a cracking motor so just enjoy it.

Who needs "Agony Aunt", when we have the best banter online. The last five posts had me in stitches.All we need now is the Scottish/ Portugese golfer to add his 2p and we,ve cracked it.

Sorry for going off thread PMSL

Clare

Steve, I dont understand if you are saying the handbook is sh!te if so then who am I to disagree, if you are saying what I said is sh!te then read the post.

according to the handbook vary your revs don’t just stick cruise on at 70 (2k revs) and leave it there for 200 miles, all this may be good for the engine but it plays havoc with good consumption figures.

As the way I read your post we are singing from the same hymn book.

Gus

Well Gus "If the cap fits" mate wear it! If it doesn't then don't!! :cowboy:

O/k guys and gals, thanks for taking it easy on me, this is the first toyota I've owned + diesel, having driven alot of diffrent make of oilers throught firms vans and have never notice so much around the tail pipes, anyway having just got back from 168 mile jaunt and averaging 42 mpg on supermarket fuel guess it can't be that bad, but topped the the tank with Shell and see if it clears up a bit

B-A