Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Charge Lead

mmw109

Hi,

I received my new Plug-in Prius Today ! So I can finalyl update my fuelly acount and avatar.

However In order for the charge lead to reach from my plug socket to the car I've had to pretty much park blocking the front door !

Is it possible to buy a lsightly longer (mayb 2ft longer) Charge Lead from Toyota or some third party ?

I've found some american posts about this which suggests it is possible in America, but no luck with UK devices so far.

(I plugged it into an extension lead for a few minutes , but that is 'strictly forbidden' and it got pretty hot, so I won't be doing that again).

Toyota do not do a longer lead and I have not found anyone else. You could make one yourself and there is plenty of discussion on the prius chat plug-in forum or you can safely use an extension providing the rating of the cable is correct.

I used an extension cable for a couple of weeks without any problems or leads getting hot before I had a dedicated socket fitted.

Hi you could make a lead up using 2.5mm 3core flex this would not get hot as the flex is the same size as the cable feeding the socket however if you use a extension lead it should be able to take 3KW and fully unreeled when in use.If outside make sure it is protected by a RCD

............ and if the connection is outdoors it needs to be waterproof.

(I plugged it into an extension lead for a few minutes , but that is 'strictly forbidden' and it got pretty hot, so I won't be doing that again).

You should be OK with an extension lead as long as it is rated at 13Amps (3KW) and is fully unwound. If yours got pretty hot chances are it was still coiled, or is a lower rating.

It was both. I'll have a look around to see if I've got a better extension lead to hand.

I am not sure if others are aware but I recently had a chargetmaster dedicated external chargepoint installed by British Gas and now they have offered to install these for free in certain areas of the country like London, Midlands, East Anglia and Milton Keynes

Check out the offer on http://www.polarnetwork.com/free-homecharge-i-offer

It saves having to worry about using the lead as the charge point has its own lead and is a dedicated 16 amp circuit.