Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oxygen Censors Rav 4

doncross

Had a dash warning light showing on my Rav 4 (Take to dealership) well my local garage diagnosed problem as failed oxygen sensor,there are four of these,that feed into manifold,with a sort of spark plug adapter, quite expensive,£197.00 each,managed to buy,on-line,at £100 each,needed two,car runs fine without replacements,but warning light stays on,also difficult to fit,as they are very tight in manifold,needs a O/A torch on them .anyone had this problem,or would like to advise?

It has been discussed many times but what exactly are you asking Don?

the Rav likes to eat them sensors, you can get them cheaper, i replaced 3 recently and got them at about £70 each. They can be quite tricky to get out, one of mine tore up the thread whilst removing but if you fail to replace them it may do more damage in the long wrong. Especially to your catalytic converter. It worth doing them even though it seems pricey

Mine only has two (top is air/fuel, bottom is O2) and I don't know how long is was run with these knackered* but it incinerated the cat which exited the exhaust as a fine powder...

*resetting the codes/disconnecting the Battery clears the light for about 50 miles, it's a neat trick for getting rid of one quick :disgust: )

The thread in my top one stripped, I read that it's a fairly common spark plug thread and can be helicoiled (if you can find anyone that has the right size - living in the banana republic of Croatia I had to have a new seat machined into it :disgust: :disgust: ), you could check availability before you proceed (i.e. don't take my word for it, maybe they changed the thread size)

Luck in battle!

• 2 weeks later...

OK Mr Anchorman,as I had nor experienced this problem before,in the two years Ive owned the vehicle,I obviously realised a problem when the dash warning light came on,in my manual, it states take to dealership,the dealership is not too handy,so my local garage,.diagnosed the problem,(is there any other way of diagnoses).the garage manager(its quite a posh garage) discussed the problem with me,and I have to,have fitted two sensors,then hopefully the warning light will go off.

So could I have diagnosed the problem myself,if so how,I believe they are difficult to remove,without heating,is there any way I could cancel the warning light after repair,i have tried Battery disconnection.I am having second sensor fitted tomorrow,that I bought for £95,but they will charge £50 for fitting it.

So could I have diagnosed the problem myself,if so how
Read carefully the text under the photos here.

OK guys thank you for all the information,I have a clearer idea of the system now,I have most properly paid too much for the two replacements,but you live and learn,I still have a problem as the one of the new leads supplied to me,was faulty,but they are going to replace it,then hopefully that will clear the problem.

many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Have this issue at moment, my code reader pointed to the bottom two, changed them out but still have warning light and same fault codes.

Pulled the top two and not getting a reading from them, so guessing all 4 have went at same time?

Or is the cat buggered and in turn buggering the sensors?

Some talk of an ECU update buyt Toyota say no such thing

Don, you don't need heat on them, just give them a soak and use a proper oxy socket, top two are easy to access, bottom two, one is easier than the other, I removed the bolt at the bottom for the radiator support just to get in with the socket.