Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dash Cams

Soeley

With the recent anonymous prang of my car the other week (see http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=138450&st=0) whilst parked at work, I decided if it ever happens again that I wanted a good chance of getting the culprit. After some searching for dash cams that have a ‘Parking Mode’ I decided upon and purchased one of these http://www.carcamwar...car_camera.html . It runs purely from the cars power socket though it does have an internal Battery just to control it powering down and to make sure it keeps recording in the event of an accident causing the power lead to come out.

With the iQ power socket being an ignition live and wanting to be able to fit and forget (until something happened) I also got the http://www.blackvue....sub1.asp?idx=13. Basically with this wired in and the BlackVue connected, the camera is powered up all the time, when you turn off the ignition and after 10 minutes of no movement detected the camera goes into ‘Parking Mode’. The PMP monitors the car Battery level and shuts down the camera if the Battery gets too low, to prevent you from getting a flat battery, or you can set a timer with it.

Thank you to Tarquin aka David for wiring advice ;)

Brief Overview

Normal Driving: the unit used a 3 axis G (shock) sensor. If a shock is detected outside of the set limits (adjustable by you) it will record an ‘Event’. You can also have it recording constantly in a loop, should an accident happen in front of you without you being involved.

The camera also records sound and tracks GPS.

Parking Mode: also uses the 3 axis G sensor, again adjustable by you (independent from Driving Mode). Also it has a motion sensor (adjustable) so it will start recording if someone/thing goes past.

I’m not going to write too much as there is loads on the Web already.

Here is a video sample from my camera, this is part of my drive home from work (click the picture to open video)

th_20120824_131244_N.jpg

You can also take a ‘still’ from the video footage.

20120827_133415_N.jpg

Great aren't they.

I have a Blackvue DR400G HD in my iQ too mounted up behind the rear view mirror and love it. It just simply works and I have taken some interesting photos from it so far. :)

I posted a few pictures of the install on this thread.

http://www.toyotaown...ue#entry1190097

I don't yet have the park kit though so mine just works when driving, may invest in that soon though.

Your soon get used to that voice every time saying "Blackvue for your safe driving, starting normal recording! :)

Craig.

Well Craig I must have totally missed that thread, glad to see we both came to the same conclusion though. I have just bought a 32GB Sandisk Class 10 micro SD for £18 off Amazon.

That's a good price. I'm still running the 16Gb card but might just upgrade at that price.

Yes, Glad we both chose the same one, Must both be right. :)

Craig.

Ha too busy looking at his wonderful camera. I was sold on it when you first mentioned it. Have you seen the connections behind my A/C panel. MASSIVE!! EPIC

David

Yes, Glad we both chose the same one, Must both be right. :)

Craig.

Me too!

I left mine on when the car had a service recently and am pleased to report the technician who dealt with the car drove it very sensibly and carefully in and out of the workshop and to the car park.

I have switched off the warning voice about recording starting so I completely forget it is there most of the time, but every so often it is interesting to run the film and see how you have been driving.

Quite scary sometimes!

John

• 2 weeks later...

My 32Gb Micro SD card arrived this morning from Amazon so just formatted it and installed the latest firmware on it so I'll put it back in the car tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

I too left my camera in the car when it went in for the mpg readout display change. They took it for a drive too when it was cold to feel for any tightness on gear changes as I asked them to do. The chap drove it very well and didn't race it so that was good!

Funny thing was though when they got back to the workshop the roller door opened, he drove my car in and left it running for a minute. I then heard a voice on the camera from inside the car "Ere Mark, do these things normally have footwell lights? Nah, they are extras, said Mark, Blinding ain't they!" I liked that seeing as I fitted them myself using LED Lights from eBay!. :)

Craig.