Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 1.8 Sr - Motorway Noise, Is It Really That Bad?

rickon

Hi Chaps,

Just put a deposit down on a 2007 Yaris SR 1.8, test drove it around town and on A roads - but only got up to about 60 mph.

Is the engine noise really that bad on motorways at 70/80 mph?

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers

Ricks

Was it bad at 60? I can't imagine it being much different at 70.. at least it hasn't been in any other car i've been in. I think the only thing that seems to be a downside on SR, T sport etc models is the high gearing and the fact the revs are 'screaming' as people say.

My old fabia 1.2 TSI for example ticked over at 2500 rpm at 70, my 1.4 fiesta does about 2950rpm at 70.

That's kind of what I meant - when you say people say the revs are 'screaming', you mean they're really high and crying out to be changed up?

Hi Chaps,

Just put a deposit down on a 2007 Yaris SR 1.8, test drove it around town and on A roads - but only got up to about 60 mph.

Is the engine noise really that bad on motorways at 70/80 mph?

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers

Ricks

Hi Rick,

not actually what you asked but as far as noise is concerned I find the tyre noise is the worst thing to put up with on some motorway surfaces with our Yaris SR fitted with Toyota 16" Motorsport alloys with Dunlop Tyres. Yours will have 17" alloys with lower profile tyres which will be even worse.

Pete.

Hi Ricks,

I have driven before at 70 ish in mine and not noticed much noise, but I've always been used to Rovers which were always revvy and screamed on motorways. I would say the only thing I wish my SR had for longer journeys is a 6th gear (mainly for economy reasons).

I have driven 100 miles on motorways this morning, but mainly at a constant 60mph, and achieved around 45mpg. I believe it was doing just under 3k rpm at 60 but didn't take much notice so can't be sure, but I could comfortably talk to my 'hard of hearing' dad, with the windows open lol :D

I hope you enjoy the car any way mate!

Yeah, i have no real idea myself but my 2004 T2 Yaris is pretty revvy on the motorways, happily shouting at itself at about 3500 - 4000 revs. So it may be a bit revvy, but radio on and you don't really notice.