Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 Avensis

andrewm1

Hi newbie here .

After seling my 98 honda civic 1.4 I am now the proud owner of a 1998 Avensis 1.8 GS with 105366 on the clock

I am just getting concerned as to where to get parts to service it and change the timming belt,

I have searched around on the web but as for plugs i cant find any?

oil filter and air filter are easy to find but fuel filter and plugs i cant seam to find,

Any advice or help on what to get and where would be a great help

Also is Castrol magnatex oil ok ?

Thanks

HI have you tried Euro car parts im sure they stock fuel filters cambelt kits etc,might be worth a look at there website. good luck.

Make sure you get the Iridium Spark Plugs - Denso SK20R-P13. Pricey but will last a long time. Other plug will not be as good plus the wrong type will damage the engine. Euro car part can order the plugs for you at just over a tenner each.

I am not sure about the fuel filter.

Another place to check for parts is A to Z motor spares (www.azcartparts.co.uk). I got my crank pulley from them as they are competitive prices and they have all the things you will need. Try them for the plug too. I have done the work for you.

Do not forget the anti-freeze/coolant.

I use Castrol Magnatec 10/40w oil. Regular oil changes help engine life.

The timing belt for this engine should not be too expensive. The belt only turns one of the cams and has an easy run.

The crank pulley I mentioned earlier can fail due to age. It acts as a vibration damper, and the metal out and inner parts sandwich a rubber material. This rubber part can separate causing the out part to slip. This also can damage the alternator/water pump and air con belts.

One place that is not good is Halfords. You will not get much for your car. Toyota will have parts but you will have to pay a lot more.

Enjoy your car.

Thanks for your advice , I will get the parts this week will i need to replace the water pump as well when fitting a timming belt kit? i have gone for the Gates kit

Hi i had my water pump changed at the same time as the cambelt was replaced at 115.000 miles ,it was leaking quite badly through the seals ,it might be worth having it done at the same time as this will cut down your labour charges.if you do the work yourself you might want to leave the pump alone if its ok.Also i agree with Konrad c these plugs are the best fitted mine 3 years ago ,never missed a beat since