Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aircon Issue Help Please!

JerryB

Hi, fairly new to the TOC but really hope someone can help with my Aircon problem on my 2007 Avensis d-4d TR.

Basically me Aircon is not working although the pump and controls all seem to be ok. Does it just need re-gassing? About a month ago (whilst driving with the Aircon on) saw what looked like smoke coming out of the front airvents! Realised it was just really cold vapour. It stopped after a while and I presumed it was just the aircon working hard on a very hot day. Had a new engine (Avensis extended warranty in May - i was told the Aircon would have been re-gassed then). Not very mechanically minded and would really appreciate some advice. Thanks, Jerry

Moved to Avensis forum where hopefully you should get some answers :)

There are sort of tyre valve type filling points on the air con system. An easy check to whether there's any gas in it is to remove the dust cap and press the valve with a match and see if gas comes out. If there's no pressure then there's no gas and you need to track down the leak and repair it. If gas comes out then you've probably not got a serious leak but the system might not have enough pressure for it to work.

Be very carful when using a match to check if there is gas coming out of either the Low (L) or High (H) pressure ports on an air con system! as if you get to close (Or the match sticks in) you could end up breathing in the R134a which could result if freezing your lungs! I'm aware that it would need to be a fair amount of the gas to do this! but just be very carful when working with aircon systems if not fully qualified to do so.

Don't get to close to the gas!!!... Work safe.

hi

the sight glass is inline where you can easy check pulsating flow of a liquified gas.

if negative then you have to regas the system with refrigerant

regards / Igor

There are sort of tyre valve type filling points on the air con system. An easy check to whether there's any gas in it is to remove the dust cap and press the valve with a match and see if gas comes out. If there's no pressure then there's no gas and you need to track down the leak and repair it. If gas comes out then you've probably not got a serious leak but the system might not have enough pressure for it to work.

So kind of you to reply - thank you for your help. I think It will be best for me to book it in to see if there is a leak as it will need re-gassing whatever, thanks, Jerry

hi

the sight glass is inline where you can easy check pulsating flow of a liquified gas.

if negative then you have to regas the system with refrigerant

regards / Igor

Kind of you to reply, i'll take a look, much appreciated, Jerry

Be very carful when using a match to check if there is gas coming out of either the Low (L) or High (H) pressure ports on an air con system! as if you get to close (Or the match sticks in) you could end up breathing in the R134a which could result if freezing your lungs! I'm aware that it would need to be a fair amount of the gas to do this! but just be very carful when working with aircon systems if not fully qualified to do so.

Don't get to close to the gas!!!... Work safe.

Thanks for you reply and thanks for the tip.