Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Gone Wrong On My T Sport

rosh7uk

Hi All,

My 2003 T sport has been making a knocking sound in the engine, I bought the car 1 month ago so it is still under warranty

The guys at the garage are saying they will have to take the engine apart and replace the broken parts.

Am I entitled to get my money back? or should I be looking to get my money back? I really loved the car but don't want things to go horribly wrong later on.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rosh

You should give them an opportunity to carry out a repair under warranty and maybe try to negotiate some warranty on the repairs.

It is unlikely that after 1 month you would be successful in getting your money back

Did you buy from a Toyota dealer and what sort of warranty did you get?

The sale of goods act is very clear. Goods WHEN BOUGHT must conform to contract, be as described, fit or purpose and be of satisfactory quality. If the car requires major engine work then it could be described as NOT of satisfactory quality and you might be able to get your money back

The best course of action is to speak to the garage who sold the car, ask what can be done, and tell them what you are thinking. If they are going to put a new engine in, you might want the car back, if they are going to strip it, you might not want that. Once you have spoken to them, put everything IN WRITING to the manager / owner explaining what you would like done and quote the verbal discussion you have had. Send the letter by recorded delivery to the main address

Depending on what is said, you may be happy, if not, come back and tell us what is being proposed

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks so much for the advice.

I didn't get the car from a Toyota dealer bt the garage have taken it to a toyota dealer to look at the problem.

They say they are going to replace parts of the engine so I am guessing that is not good in the long run?

Should I just ask for a refund?

Only you know if you want a refund or not

There is a lot to consider, especially the mileage. Remember your contract is with the selling garage, NOT the Toyota dealer, so if your garage get into an argument over costs with the Toyota dealer, YOU will be the one that suffers delays etc. If you want a refund, ask for it, getting it might be harder. They have to be given the opportunity to put things right, but at what cost? I would go down the refund route, goods not of merchantable quality and see what they say first. It might be they put another engine in it and you might have a different view on the car if that happened?

Hi. If you have possibility to choose, choose following this order:

1)- Ask money back.

2)- Ask a new motor replaced.

3)- You necessarily will must accept a repair of the engine, but this is the worse of the cases because a repaired engine is not the same of an originally assembled engine.

Hi all,

They have offered to put in a new engine which has covered less miles than mine, They say they will either replace certain parts of the engine or replace the whole thing depending on the damage inside.

They are also offering me a further three month warranty on the work.

What are your thoughts?

In both cases I can only advice you that during the remaining time of warranty, you will must extensively use the car, so you will have enough time and miles to verify if all works well.

will the car be as good as before after the work is carried out??

Or will it be better??

Hi all,

They have offered to put in a new engine which has covered less miles than mine, They say they will either replace certain parts of the engine or replace the whole thing depending on the damage inside.

They are also offering me a further three month warranty on the work.

What are your thoughts?

Just a word of warning - sounds like they may fit an engine from a breakers from the wording above.

They say they got the engine from eBay might be one from a Cellica but sounds like they are going to fit the complete engine in!

Just my two cents worth but if it was me and the option is there I would not be happy having an engine replaced with an item sourced from eBay. From a point of view of warranty you get 3 months but if you have engine failure after 3 months your in trouble. Sure you could excessivley use the car for 3 months just to check but you'd never be sure. Whats the history of the engine they've sourced? you just don't know - could have been thrashed to death. May not have been well maintained.

If it was me I would want a refund and walk away.

Hi all,

I am still waiting for the garage to put my engine back in, they recon they will do it tonight and turn the Key to see if the car is Ok.

They say its the only time they will be able to see what the engine is like?

I am getting more and more worried about how my car is going to run.

Has anyone got any advice of what I can say If the car is not up to scratch? can I still get my money back?

Refer to post number 3 ;)

If the car is not as it should be, you could ask for your money back. Whether you get it back without a fight is another matter

I advised you in post 3 to put everything in writing to the garage, have you done that?

Tell them what you feel about having the second hand engine, not happy? tell them, if you need to take this further, then you need to have copies of the paperwork and receipts for RECORDED DELIVERY of the letters and build up a timeline of events, make notes, dates when who said what where and when

Getting a refund is not an automatic right, your garage might be up for it if you exchange the car for another. You have no right to change your mind about a car once you have bought it, but if it is not of satisfactory quality or inherantly faulty, then you do have the law on your side