Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Gone Wrong On My T Sport

rosh7uk

Well put it this way, the current engine is goosed!

It could not run any worse, could it? Ask if they will pay for an independant inspection when the work has been done. Always apply the pressure firmly but courteously, he who shouts loudest does not always get what he wants ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi all,

The engine has been put in and seemed to be ok, but then tried to test to see if the car would lift at 6200 rpm no lift and Engine management light comes on along with VSC and TRC OFF.

So I took it back and was told that the warning lights are normal when new engine has be put in. I then told him about the Lift problem so they have decided to hold on to the car until they can look in to it further.

What do you guys think?

I would have an independant report done on the vehicle/replacement engine - eg compression test and a cylinder leak down test - might tell you one way or another .

Has anyone had this problem with the 3 warning lights coming on before as I had this same problem with the previous engine?

They need to see what the fault codes are stored in the ECU to narrow the lift fault down.

Some of the common causes are:

Coolant temp sensor

Oil control solenoid ( 2 on the engine )

Oil strainer/filters behind the solenoids blocked.

Lift bolts worn/broken.

The ECU should have reset itself when the Battery was disconnected at the time the engine was fitted, so any new fault codes stored will be to do with the new engine.

I sometimes get all three lights come up on the dash, but this is due to an Air Pump problem.

The Garage are now telling me it is bad for the car to be revved at 6000 rpm?????? surely not?? I am getting the feeling they are trying to push this on to me as being my fault???

The Garage are now telling me it is bad for the car to be revved at 6000 rpm?????? surely not?? I am getting the feeling they are trying to push this on to me as being my fault???

They are obviously clueless !!!

Ask them what rpm the Lift is engaged.

Below are some extracts from the SAE paper on the developement of the 2ZZ-GE :

At engine speeds below 6000rpm, the rocker arm moves

according to the low lift roller follower. When engine

speed is above 6000rpm, hydraulic pressure is applied to

the locking pin, which slides under and locks the high lift

slipper follower to the rocker arm. This creates the

difference in valve lift, for the rocker arm will now move

according to the high lift slipper. When engine speed is

below 6000rpm, the return spring pushes the locking pin

back, and the high lift slipper is freed.

Max Power 135kw/7600rpm

Max Torque 180Nm/6800rpm

Think you should be demanding a full refund on the vehicle to be honest.

Thnaks so much for all the info will try and use it to see what they say,

If they cant fix the problem I will see if they are willing to give me my money back.

Thanks again

Has all of this been recorded in writing between you and the garage concerned..........as if it has not, the longer that it goes on unrecorded the less chance you have of getting your money back

Parts King gave you some very useful advice much earlier in this thread..........If you did not act on his advice then you do not stand much chance of a refund at this stage as you have allowed the garage one chance to carry out repairs.

Without a documented trail of the events your chances are very slender :(

When you have a feeling it is all going wrong, best to put EVERYTHING in writing, that way there is nothing left to chance if it goes legal

I hope you took the earlier advice?

The CAB offer some good advice online, a quick quote from them:

If there's something wrong with something you've bought, you normally have the right to return it and get all your money back. This is called a full refund. This right only lasts for a very short time after you buy the goods. You are allowed a short time to examine the goods and try them out, but you must tell the trader about the fault as soon as you discover it.

If you’ve had or used the item for a longer time, by law you have accepted the goods. You won’t be entitled to a refund, but the trader should offer to repair or replace the item instead.

http://www.advicegui..._vehicles_e.htm

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi all,

I have sent them a detailed email of what has occurred. all is below

Dear Richard,

As you know I purchased a Toyota Corolla T Sport reg - RV53CZT on 9th August 2012 for £2800, which included a 3 month warranty.

on the 5th September I encountered a loud knocking sound from within the engine, I called Thompsons garage and was advised to get the car towed to your site, which I did.

After looking at the problem you decided to change the engine, I picked up the car ( 20th September ) having the understanding the car had been fixed. I drove the car 17 miles before deciding to see how the car would drive when in higher Revs. There is supposed to be a lift at 6200 rpm but I encountered no lift and instead had three warning lights come on the dash - Engine management, TRC OFF, VSC

I called Thompsons again and was told to bring the car straight back, which I did.

It was mentioned that it is not good for the car to be revved high however when researching the problem I found the below info about revving the car at the 6200 rpm . (
extracts from the SAE paper on the development of the 2ZZ-GE
)

At engine speeds below 6000rpm, the rocker arm moves

according to the low lift roller follower. When engine

speed is above 6000rpm, hydraulic pressure is applied to

the locking pin, which slides under and locks the high lift

slipper follower to the rocker arm. This creates the

difference in valve lift, for the rocker arm will now move

according to the high lift slipper. When engine speed is

below 6000rpm, the return spring pushes the locking pin

back, and the high lift slipper is freed.

Max Power 135kw/
7600rpm

Max Torque 180Nm/
6800rpm

I have been told I will get a further 3 months warranty when the car is fixed and back to full working order, the way it was when first purchased. Please can you confirm this is the case.

Can you please guarantee me the car will be the way it was when I first purchased it on the 9th August 2012 . I have only had the car for 3.5 weeks of the 7 weeks of owning the car.

I await your response.

Regards

Roshan Mawar

they have replied with:

Hi Toyota have said timing pin stuck. Will try to fix Friday I will let you know when done . Thanks for patience Rj

Sent from my iPhone

what do you all think?

Thanks

Yes,

The garage to be fair are doing everything to fix the problems!

they just changed the Oil pump sensor and are going to get the toyota garage tot change the lift Bolts?

they say I should have the car by Friday. They also say I will get the further 3 months warranty from when I pick up the car.

I hope it will all be ok.