Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol Yaris With Cvt Box - Fantastic Mpg

sonofpincher

Bit of a fuel consumption freak - proud of it too, with current prices! Have had our 1.3 5-door CVT auto for a few weeks, and it is giving us better economy than even the diesels we had before. Only managed 40 from the diesel Kia Soul traded in! Best 120 mile run on mixed roads so far- 61mpg! What a terrific gearbox - this is what all auto-boxes should be like! Had an earlier Yaris "Multi-mode" automated manual before - dreadful!. Got it right this time, Toyota.

Bit of a fuel consumption freak - proud of it too, with current prices! Have had our 1.3 5-door CVT auto for a few weeks, and it is giving us better economy than even the diesels we had before. Only managed 40 from the diesel Kia Soul traded in! Best 120 mile run on mixed roads so far- 61mpg! What a terrific gearbox - this is what all auto-boxes should be like! Had an earlier Yaris "Multi-mode" automated manual before - dreadful!. Got it right this time, Toyota.

Very much agree with you about the 1.3 with the CVT gearbox

I have the same fitted in my New Verso S and have completed over 13000 totally smooth and trouble free miles and am still impressed how it can do 70 MPH at only less than 1500 RPM :)

CVT doesn't sound that great if you have to put your foot down though =/ spose you can't have everything though eh! Less than 1500 rpm at 70? Surprised the car doesn't struggle.

Awesome stuff :)

Have you taken it up a twisty country road? I'm curious how it copes with changing gradients and speeds :)

Awesome stuff :)

Have you taken it up a twisty country road? I'm curious how it copes with changing gradients and speeds :)

I took it to Scotland last year and had absolutely no problems on any twistys or hills. I have subsequently travelled to the West country and all over England.

The technique of gently squeezing the throttle is something that I quickly became used to.......it is quite easy to just check the Eco light illuminates and back off the throttle at speed.

It is possible to do about 70 MPH at approx 1500 RPM but of course the revs have to be increased when climbing gradients........The system copes admirably on down gradients by changing down through the virtual gears when the sensors sense a downgrade and the driver brakes.......The engine speed is very quickly matched to the road conditions.

In short...It is a great system which is often maligned by people that have never tried it.......I love it!

I have had my Mk3 SR CVT Auto for just over 5 months , im gettIng about 45-46mpg average from it. Thats from mainly motorway commutes on the M27. If i drive a lot more light-footed i can just about eek out 50 MPG.

At 70MPH my RPM on my SR is about 2100 RPM , thats if im a level part of the motorway , and it climbs if im going uphill etc etc.

One thing good about the CVT is that the gear changes are so smooth you wont feel it at all , compared to my last Yaris with an old school 4 speed auto box which you can feel the kickdown