Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When's A Service Plan Not A Service Plan?

monya

When chunks of what I would expect to be covered aren't!

On the 2nd service, after 18000 miles I was told the brake fluid should be changed, which is £39 ta. The wipers need changing £39 ta, the pollen filter could do with a change ta + the aircon needs regassing £99 ta very much The Toyota blab says the service plan will ensure the car remains in 'tip top condition' How so when the brake fluid wouldn't be changed etc. Also told the discs are corroded although the pads are only down 15%. I should have them checked after 6 months. Get lost thinks I. As long as the brakes work they can get stuffed. I come away thinking I've been shafted. Are all these extras normal? Should I expect rusty discs after 18000 miles. Why don't they get de dusted during a service. Didn't have all this with Mercedes, although admittedly the service was 3 times the price but at least I could expect a comprehensive job.

You have a Service Plan, not a full maintenance plan. Service plans cover routine servicing and do not cover items that are additional such as corroded discs, wipers etc. Sorry if it is not what you expected but you would have to pay a lot more than you have done to get a full maintenance package. Discs are a lump of cast iron and will show rust

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi the wipers are a wearable item so no service plan will cover them (much like tires) the discs can show signs of rust over night the brakes only come into play under 8MPH or under heavy braking so can be prone to rusting. However the change of brake fluid should be covered under a 3 year service plan as should the pollen filter.Re-gassing the aircon after 18000 miles could be covered under the warrantee as it should not leak.

Brake fluid change is not part of the standard service at 18K, Neither is a pollen filter

From the blurb

Toyota Service Plans cover the complete cost of your standard servicing, including parts and labour, but exclude replacing normal wear and tear items such as tyres, brake pads and windscreen wipers.

Had mine done last month @ 12886 miles with no suggestions of any extra work. It was on a service plan, but I don't see this makes any difference. Time for a new agent ??

Regards the re-gassing of the aircon I can't find anywhere whether this should be covered under warranty. Actually I can't find detailed info. as to what the warranty does cover. Can someone help me out on this?

I think you might be confusing two things

1: A/C service-Regassed and most importantly, re-oiled, usually done if the A/C temp is above 10c

2: A/C not working, leaking, due to a fault

A/C service is chargable, but if the temp is below 10c just decline the offer. If it has leaked and lost gas, then at 18K I would expect that to be a fault and covered under warranty. The A/c does lose small amounts of gas over time and that is why you should use it, at least once a week for 5 minutes, just for the oil to lubricate the seals, even in winter.

Hi on my Gen3 at 20000 miles change of brake fluid was part of that service as was the pollen filter.

sounds like your plan doesn't include the additional replacement items, of which brake fluid is an example.

It is only checked as part of the normal service, however somehow it always needs to be changed.

I cannot see why you would need an AC regas for a 2 year old vehicle. Dealer trying it on maybe?

Certainly with my local dealer I've received very poor service when a service plan is involved. Not sure how they are paid for the work but seems they either give poor service or looks for ways to charge for additional work.

I've just had the second service under a service agreement and there were no extra costs at either one.

I would expect a service plan to cover brake fluid changes (and coolant changes) as most schedules have these on a time interval.

But the devil is in the detail, you need to check the small print I guess.

I have a service plan and I was told all oils etc were included. Surely this must include Hydraulic oil.

I have a service plan and I was told all oils etc were included. Surely this must include Hydraulic oil.

Sadly not Chris

You get exactly what is in the schedule, if the schedule recommends something additional on a time basis (like brake fluid) , but is not actually part of the schedule, then it is an additional charge

With something like the A/C service, it is offered as an additional item. For someone with a two year old car, it probably does not need doing, it depends on how low the temperature is, like I said above, if it is below 10c, it is working fine and you could decline the offer. Not all customers come in with a service plan on a car only two years old, other cars are much older and more likely to need such a service

The thing is, I tend to accept what the technicians recommend and therefore had the regas despite the aircon working fine in my opinion. They tell me it's not a warranty issue unless it fails. OK, once bitten..... Also there's been a change of ownership from Wayside to Steven Eagell, maybe not for the better from my point of view. I'll put it down to experience.

• 2 months later...

When I took out my service plan a year or so ago I trawled the web for information. By accident I found a site that was extolling the virtues to garages rather than to us punters. A major advantage was that it gave the garage the opportunity to sell extra services! My brake fluid change was included but I had to press for it!

I think dealers need to be more upfront about what is included in service plans - especially now that Toyota is offering Fixed Price Servicing.

I had a service plan covering the first 2 services on my 2009 Auris - this operated OK, but didn't provide copies of the service invoices (which detail what has been covered during the service - checklists are too basic). The second service included a brake fluid change.

With my 2012 Auris, the supplying dealer has offered a service plan covering three services at 510 pounds, and a free brake fluid change if I take out the service plan within two weeks of the invite letter.

Fixed Price Servicing costs come to 457 pounds. So where does the additional 53 pounds come from?

The invite letter stated that Service would be in touch within a few days to discuss the plan - no contact has been made and the 2 week period for taking out a service plan and getting a free brake fluid change expires tomorrow.

The Fixed Price Servicing schedule on the Toyota website is confusing as well. The Full and Full+ services both include a change of brake fluid, but the brake fluid change has a note that 'additional charges apply if work is required'. So although a brake fluid change is included in the service schedule, is this at extra cost or not??

With my 2012 Auris, the supplying dealer has offered a service plan covering three services at 510 pounds, and a free brake fluid change if I take out the service plan within two weeks of the invite letter.

Fixed Price Servicing costs come to 457 pounds. So where does the additional 53 pounds come from?

Can you help me with where the £457 came from. I am assuming that what you are being quoted for is two intermediate services and one full service. As far as I can see on the Toyota website for an Auris HSD the intermediate service cost is £139 and full is £209, so I make the total £487.

That aside, I imagine the difference between the prices is that the dealer will have included a margin to allow for his costs rising in the next three years. Toyota prices are the price today and there is no guarantee that they will be the same when you take the car in for the last service in three years time.

had a service plan covering the first 2 services on my 2009 Auris - this operated OK, but didn't provide copies of the service invoices (which detail what has been covered during the service - checklists are too basic).

Good call. Have just realised that has just happened with my last service (first one on a plan).

"Can you help me with where the 457 came from. I am assuming that what you are being quoted for is two intermediate services and one full service. As far as I can see on the Toyota website for an Auris HSD the intermediate service cost is £139 and full is 209, so I make the total 487."

I haven't got an Auris HSD. I have the 1.33 - shown in my profile

After e-mailing my queries to the dealer, the revised service plan has come in at 433 pounds for the three services including a free brake fluid change at the 20,000 mile full service. Will also get copies of the service invoices.

So it has been worthwhile for me to query how the service plan was calculated, as I will now be getting the services done for slightly less than the Fixed Price Service costs.

"I imagine the difference between the prices is that the dealer will have included a margin to allow for his costs rising in the next three years. Toyota prices are the price today and there is no guarantee that they will be the same when you take the car in for the last service in three years time."

One of the points about taking out a service plan is that the service costs are set at current prices, so the dealer shouldn't be including a margin to set against costs rising over the period of the plan.

Why would anyone who is in some way sane pay £39 for some windscreen wipers?

For that money I'd want Carol Vorderman to come round, supply and fit gold plated wipers for me whilst in the nip!

Get theee along to a motor factors or Halfords and buy and fit them yourself. I sourced and fitted a set for my 03 X trail (£12) and they were the flat springy ones...and their good as well. Also one is huge...24 inch I believe.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

had a service plan covering the first 2 services on my 2009 Auris - this operated OK, but didn't provide copies of the service invoices (which detail what has been covered during the service - checklists are too basic).

Good call. Have just realised that has just happened with my last service (first one on a plan).

Rang the dealer and they admitted it is a flaw in the invoicing system but said they could send me a copy of the service invoice which gets sent to the service plan company. This has arrived and it does show all the items used etc. :thumbsup:

Should have got around this by having a requirement for the invoice to be copied to me, written into the service plan.

Also had the requirement for the use of 0W-20 oil at each service written into the service plan as well (the dealer uses 5W-30 normally for servicing despite the use of 0W-20 being specified in my Auris's owners handbook).

With my 2012 Auris, the supplying dealer has offered a service plan covering three services at 510 pounds, and a free brake fluid change

After e-mailing my queries to the dealer, the revised service plan has come in at 433 pounds for the three services including a free brake fluid change

Also had the requirement for the use of 0W-20 oil at each service written into the service plan as well (the dealer uses 5W-30 normally for servicing despite the use of 0W-20 being specified in my Auris's owners handbook).

Can you tell us who the dealer is so that other members can avoid them?

The practice of service plan quotes being high seems to be widespread. In the last six weeks or so, there have been at least three topics on TOC where service plans have been higher than one would expect - one on the Auris club, one on the IQ club and this one. One member had a service plan quote that, on the face of it, was 283 pounds higher than the four services at Fixed Price Service costs. I have now written to Toyota GB about the disparity between service plans costs compared to Fixed Price Service costs, and the lack of detail within service plan quotes - be interesting to see whether I get any reply.

Also the use of 5W-30 oil instead of the Toyota recommended 0W-20 oil seems common. I've e-mailed Toyota Customer Relations about this previously, and, from their response (which was basically the dealer stating that if I wanted 0W-20 oil used, they would use it on request) Toyota Customer Relations don't seem to have a problem with the wrong oil being used by dealers for services.

So I don't think it would be helpful to single out any one dealer.