Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4.2 Rear Parcel Shelf Fitting

flyboyprowler

Mornin' all,

The rear parcel shelf on my 2003 4.2 petrol is a bad fit! It doesn't seem wide enough and I wonder if there is a bit missing! Has anybody had the same problem, or am I missing a bit off the shelf, or is there a mod? :dontgetit:

Just looked at mine and it appears nothing can really be missing, its just one complete unit the sits in the back. Is it the original shelf? Maybe you have the wrong one, such as a 3 door one or something?

I'm with mystic on this one. Fits at 2 different heights as well. Can you post a pic?

Just looked at mine and it appears nothing can really be missing, its just one complete unit the sits in the back. Is it the original shelf? Maybe you have the wrong one, such as a 3 door one or something?

As far as I know it is original, it was one owner, Spanish car so i have no reason to think it would be changed. We are back in Spain next week so will try and post a pic, Certainly don't think I have two levels! Thanks for the feedback.

I had the same problem with mine, when I got the car (in winter) it was shoved on top of the summer tyres in the boot. When I tried to fit it all it did was fall inside the boot, although it fitted ok on the lower pegs. It then sat in the shed up until a week ago when I noticed it was filthy so decided to clean it & put it somewhere cleaner (i.e. where the cats can't get to it :disgust: ).

At each end of the panel there's a double layer of carpet and this fluffed up a fair bit thicker after I washed it (remove blind things first, washing up liquid, big brush, hosepipe), so I tried fitting it again and it stayed put. Unfortunatly it spent the week creaking every time I went round a corner and I went shopping today to find it's a complete nuisance loading the shopping in, so it's back to plan a.

Note the lower two sets of pegs below the cubby hole:

05497.jpg

The "carpet":

05498.jpg

I did notice a sticker on it that says on the upper position not to put anything on it, so I guess it was never meant to be anything wonderful in the first place...

HTH

"I did notice a sticker on it that says on the upper position not to put anything on it, so I guess it was never meant to be anything wonderful in the first place..."

Ours is over 10 years old now and has all sorts chucked onto it. It's never given a problem & fits perfectly.

I had the same problem with mine, when I got the car (in winter) it was shoved on top of the summer tyres in the boot. When I tried to fit it all it did was fall inside the boot, although it fitted ok on the lower pegs. It then sat in the shed up until a week ago when I noticed it was filthy so decided to clean it & put it somewhere cleaner (i.e. where the cats can't get to it :disgust: ).

At each end of the panel there's a double layer of carpet and this fluffed up a fair bit thicker after I washed it (remove blind things first, washing up liquid, big brush, hosepipe), so I tried fitting it again and it stayed put. Unfortunatly it spent the week creaking every time I went round a corner and I went shopping today to find it's a complete nuisance loading the shopping in, so it's back to plan a.

Note the lower two sets of pegs below the cubby hole:

05497.jpg

The "carpet":

05498.jpg

I did notice a sticker on it that says on the upper position not to put anything on it, so I guess it was never meant to be anything wonderful in the first place...

HTH

I don;t think that my shelf is the same shape as yours, but it's 1500 miles away at the moment! I will check it again when back in Spain on Wednesday. The plot thickens :euro:

• 1 month later...

Did you ever come up with an answer for this? Looking at your reply on another thread I'm still thinking that your cover is not the one on a UK spec 5 door 4.2. Can't comment on a Spanish one though.

Here is the relevant page from the US owner's manual, where we only got the 5-door model:

2005tonneau.jpg