Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just Bought A 4.1 - Help!

steveb79

Hi,

Jusy bought my better half a 4.1 for the second time as the first one was wrote off and after having a 18 month spell in a Beetle we decided she would be better off again in a rav.

She's not happy on losing her Beetle and is picking monor faults with this Rav (what do you expect for £995?) but this morning was the first coldish morning and bless her she had no heating in the car!! :hang:

I'm not the most mechanical person about, by my spidy senses tell me it could be the thermostat?

Are they difficult to change? Or has anyone had similar problems and fixes??

Anything to keep the duchess happy!! :argue:

thanks

Steve

Hello and welcome to the club,Steve.

A simple check to see if the thermostat is working is to start the engine from cold,and keeping fingers away from any moving parts, place your hand on the radiator top hose.

If after a few minutes the hose suddenly warms up it will show the thermostat is working as it should by holding the coolant in the engine part until it has got the engine warm and then mixing in liquid from the radiator.

If,however the top hose gradually warms up then the thermostat is faulty and allowing the coolant to flow all the time which will cause the engine to take longer to reach the correct temperature.

It is not a big job but one has to be aware that the bolts that have to be removed to change the thermostat may be difficult to remove due to the age of the car.

Del

Do the fans work ok. you can feel air moving

can you feel any temperatue difference when you move the slider to hot then cold (any heat at all)

have you checked coolant both radiator cap and expansion vessel.

i dont think its the thermostat as the engine would overheat if its stuck shut.

what does the temp gauge show.

If the temp gauge comes to normal the thermostat is OK. The cable comes disconnected on those. If so it will feel quite loose when you move the control between hot and cold. We had some photos somewhere from a lady owner that fixed hers. You can lean under the dash and do it by hand until you fix the cable.

WARNING! If you are changing the thermostat, don't be tempted to save a few £'s by getting a patent one. I read at RAV4World that a Rav4.1 thermostat is one of those things that you should absolutely make sure is a genuine Toyota part when replacing it, if you want to make sure it doesn't affect any number of things from engine temp to cabin temp to MPG. Hey, don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger! :no:

Thanks for the replys you guys, been a great help. A few things I need to try by the sounds of it.

That said Mrs B at the moment is at home and currently investigating, so there may be more work for me to do or she will have made me redundent!!! :bash:

Either way I'll keep you posted

Thanks Again

Right, we have found the problem, just cant fix it!!!!

the cable from the tempreture control slider on the dash is not connected at the other end, and also I think either cable has been damaged in the past and has been bodged or we need a new one anyway.

How easy is it to remove part of the dash to get to it?? we have took the whole radio and surround out but we need to get to where it connects to the heater slider and make sure the cable connects properly?

Also has anyone any pic or diagram on that area??

Thanks again

Right Steve, now you are getting somewhere.

If you look at the top of this page,on the right you will see a search box.

Type in "heater controls" if it says in a grey part this forum, then click on the magnifier.

Then as you look through what comes up you will find info on this.

Del

Right, we have found the problem, just cant fix it!!!!

the cable from the tempreture control slider on the dash is not connected at the other end, and also I think either cable has been damaged in the past and has been bodged or we need a new one anyway.

How easy is it to remove part of the dash to get to it?? we have took the whole radio and surround out but we need to get to where it connects to the heater slider and make sure the cable connects properly?

Also has anyone any pic or diagram on that area??

Thanks again

Is this any help Steve?

http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/51gnj-1997-toyota-rav4-heater-stuck-blows-hot-time-moving.html

Finally finished, everything works as it should!!!

Turns out a tiny clip had broke off from behind the heater controls that holds the cable in place, new controls needed, but luckily A friend of mine who has his own garage located the problem, knew of someone breaking a Rav and got the controls and cable and fitted for a grand fee of...................... :drunk: the cost of a drink!!!!!

All which means Miss B wont be giving me any hassle anytime soon!!!

Can I just say from the bottom of my heart you guys have been amazing, I wouldnt have even know where to start or have the confidence to pull it apart and have a look. Even Miss B had a go with the spanners whilst I was at work.

Thank you all that helped

Often it is down to confidence and if you just start you gain a competitive spirit that makes you determined.

Well done!