Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice For A Really Loud Constant Hum/vibration Inside Car At Anything

Dartmoor1

Hi there.

I took a bit of a leap of faith yesteday and bought an 03' GX Auto RAV4. I really don't like buying/selling cars, especialy the haggling side of private sales but I think that I was fortunate to buy from a fella who was not pushy at all, had immaculate and comprehensive service history and at least superficially had kept the car in really god nick. MOT to May 2013 with new auto gearbox in 2009 amongst other parts replaced throughout the course of 85,000 miles. I didn't get my mechanic or AA/RAC to do a pre-purchase check which I had on two prior potential buys hence saying it was a leap of faith (i know NOTHING of what goes on under a car bonnet). What I did notice on a test drive but was even more pronounced whilst driving home after buying was a constant loud hum/vibration inside the car whilst drivign at anything over 20mph really and if I could pin it down to a particular area I can only say "the rear" in general. I did point it out before buying and the seller said that it might be to do with the RAV 4 not having sound insulation in the boot area.......is that right?

I contacted the seller again who has been happy to stay in touch and he said that he didn't really notice it himself as a) he usually drove with the stereo on in built up areas and B) maybe he was just used to any sounds the car might have been making. He called his mechanic who suggested it might be an issue with wheel bearings and if it was that should not be too hard to fix.

Does this issue sound familair to any RAV owners and if so how did you resolve the problem?

I don't feel that I have been stiffed on the deal in any way and I will get it checked over belatedly by my mechanic but perhaps I am naive?

Check that the diff oils have been changed regularly and also check the inner edges of the rear tyres are worn correctly ESP if they are budget tyres.

Alex

Yes rear wheel bearings. Its expensive as the whole hub has to be changed so get the seller to do it.

Hi there.

I took a bit of a leap of faith yesteday and bought an 03' GX Auto RAV4. I really don't like buying/selling cars, especialy the haggling side of private sales but I think that I was fortunate to buy from a fella who was not pushy at all, had immaculate and comprehensive service history and at least superficially had kept the car in really god nick. MOT to May 2013 with new auto gearbox in 2009 amongst other parts replaced throughout the course of 85,000 miles. I didn't get my mechanic or AA/RAC to do a pre-purchase check which I had on two prior potential buys hence saying it was a leap of faith (i know NOTHING of what goes on under a car bonnet). What I did notice on a test drive but was even more pronounced whilst driving home after buying was a constant loud hum/vibration inside the car whilst drivign at anything over 20mph really and if I could pin it down to a particular area I can only say "the rear" in general. I did point it out before buying and the seller said that it might be to do with the RAV 4 not having sound insulation in the boot area.......is that right?

I contacted the seller again who has been happy to stay in touch and he said that he didn't really notice it himself as a) he usually drove with the stereo on in built up areas and B) maybe he was just used to any sounds the car might have been making. He called his mechanic who suggested it might be an issue with wheel bearings and if it was that should not be too hard to fix.

Does this issue sound familair to any RAV owners and if so how did you resolve the problem?

I don't feel that I have been stiffed on the deal in any way and I will get it checked over belatedly by my mechanic but perhaps I am naive?

I had a similar problem with my 3-dr after I bought it, sight unseen from a distant Toyota dealer. My dealer told me that they often have this problem and it arises from the tyres (or just one) becoming non-symmetrical, either in circumference or across the tread blocks; apparently it can happen due to lack of use (car sitting in one position on the tread for long periods) or faulty compond in the tyre. In my case, new tyres cured it.

Before doing anything too expensive, check the tyre pressures, especially the rear ones. If that has no effect try swapping the tyres front to rear & see if that makes any difference.

Yes rear wheel bearings. Its expensive as the whole hub has to be changed so get the seller to do it.

Cannae see the seller stumping up on this one, Ancho Don......a severe case of the ruler's scarf methinks...."cravat emperor" I think the latin is. Hopefully it will be as some have suggested and be sorted by tyre investigation(s).

Took wife's 4.2 to That Edinburgh t'other day, and must admit that much as it would climb up the side of an iced up wall in winter, they really are ill refined wee gubbers at motorway speeds. Possible tyre deterioration as suggested here as it hardly goes anywhere.....?

Big Kev

Thanks for the replies and advice.

Clearly I need to get the problem investigated by a mechanic/Toyota main dealer? My further questions then are:

1) If it is wheel bearings what is the cost of replacements likely to be?

2) Again, if it is wheel bearings is it dangerous to drive as it is or simply a noise issue until resolved? (I appreciate that I will need to resolve it either way but I cna put up with noise for some days or weeks so long as I know that we are safe to be driving the car

3) If I need new tyres can anyone suggest apporpriate tyres for the RAV4 (I don't intend to attempt any real off-road stuff).

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies and advice.

Clearly I need to get the problem investigated by a mechanic/Toyota main dealer? My further questions then are:

1) If it is wheel bearings what is the cost of replacements likely to be?

2) Again, if it is wheel bearings is it dangerous to drive as it is or simply a noise issue until resolved? (I appreciate that I will need to resolve it either way but I cna put up with noise for some days or weeks so long as I know that we are safe to be driving the car

3) If I need new tyres can anyone suggest apporpriate tyres for the RAV4 (I don't intend to attempt any real off-road stuff).

Cheers!

If it is a wheel bearing it should be possible to check which side it is on by finding a desrted area like a car park & drive it in circles to the left & then to the right and listen for any difference in the noise level. If it gets quieter going in a clockwise turn then it's likely that the offside bearing(s) is the culprit; if it's quieter in an anti-clockwise turn then it'll be the nearside wheels that are the problem. Of course it could be that both of the rear bearings are shot in which case this test won't help.

Re tyres, I've got Bridgestone Duelers on the 5-dr & Cooper CS4's on the 3-dr. Pleased with both but others on here swear by Yokohamas, General Grabbers, Vredersteins and a few others. Frankly, any well-known make should be fine.

I'd swap the existing tyres front to rear first though to see if it makes any difference; just swapping them might cure your problem since the acoustics in the front are different to the rear.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links