Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Space Saver For A 2011 Rav 4

JRR

Recently bought 2011 RAV 4 X-TR but would prefer a 'real wheel' for an emergency spare, rather then the puncture emergency kit supplied.

Would also rather not have to accommodate and lug around a full size wheel and tyre as a spare

Has anyone found a way of obtaining a correct sized Space Saver wheel and tyre?

So far, my understanding is that - to avoid any damage to the transmission - the Space Saver wheel and tyre has to be the same total diameter of the wheel and tyre fitted to the car.

But is there any degree of tolerance?

Wheels fitted to the car are alloys - 17" x 7J; tyres are 225/65R17

Many thanks

There is a degree of tolerance on the rolling radius but the only ones I have come across have been Honda CRV ones which have the wrong size spigot hole. The wheel then relies entirely on the nuts to keep it tight which is dangerous.

You can buy a Toyota steel wheel and just throw it in the boot for long journeys. Thats what I do.

Recently bought 2011 RAV 4 X-TR but would prefer a 'real wheel' for an emergency spare, rather then the puncture emergency kit supplied.

Would also rather not have to accommodate and lug around a full size wheel and tyre as a spare

Has anyone found a way of obtaining a correct sized Space Saver wheel and tyre?

So far, my understanding is that - to avoid any damage to the transmission - the Space Saver wheel and tyre has to be the same total diameter of the wheel and tyre fitted to the car.

But is there any degree of tolerance?

Wheels fitted to the car are alloys - 17" x 7J; tyres are 225/65R17

Many thanks

And excuse all oor manners, JR.......welcome to the nub of clutters....sorry....club of nutters.

There are lots of suitable 17" wheels on eBay as we speak which would serve as a spare. Deffo do as Anchorman hints....dinnae use a wheel with incorrect spigot.

Big Kev

I had a Honda HR-V with a space saver. Used it when I got a puncture and it was VERY disconcerting the way I saw the wheel wobbling around in the door mirror (had adjusted it so I could keep an eye on it).

Stopped and checked all nuts tight - they were ... and asked a passing AA patrolman about it and he said that was normal for spacesaver wheels.

So to cut a long story short, I would not want to use a space saver wheel even if they came as standard equipment let alone go try and find one that 'nearly' fits.

just my opinion, YMMV :)

Before considering a space saver it might be a good idea to check with your insurance company if they will accept its use. Toyota neither supply nor recommend such a wheel for the RAV as far as I know, using one could be seen as reducing the 'as designed' safety level of the vehicle in the event of a claim.

Purely a personal opinion and what I would seek advice on in the same circumstance.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links