Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wrong Tyres.

RichT180

:oops: I am kicking myself right now,ordered and fitted 4 x 205/50/R17 to my car instead of 215/50/R17. Do I run with them and rotate until I'm ready for a new set or should I get them changed and sell the set on e-bay and just cut my losses?

This gives a 0.2" difference in the sidewall depth and 1.5% difference in the speedometer reading. Stick with them as the difference is minimal.

You could contact an independant tyre fitter and ask him 'I've got these 205 tyres but the car is meant to run 215 tyres. Would there be a problem if I got them fitted?'. His answer should help you decide. Ring a few and see if they all give the same answer.

As whitewagon says there's hardle any diffrence there. Tyres are measured in width across tread, by percentage of tread width in height, then rim size.

ie 205 multiplied by 50% = 102.5 sidewall height

or 215 multiplied by 50% = 107.5 sidewall height

There's only 5mm difference there, or about as much difference as a worn tyre would be against a new one.

Thanks for the advice, I worked out that my speedometer will be out by less than 1% so I think I can live with it. Thanks again :cheers:

what has 225 compared to 205 which is the width across the tyre got to do with altering the accuracy of the cars speedo???

the only way to alter the speedo accuracy is to alter the depth of the tyre ...ie 55 to say 35 which means the outer diameter of the wheel has been altered

what has 225 compared to 205 which is the width across the tyre got to do with altering the accuracy of the cars speedo???

the only way to alter the speedo accuracy is to alter the depth of the tyre ...ie 55 to say 35 which means the outer diameter of the wheel has been altered

The sidewall height measurement is a % of the overall width so a 225/45/17 will have a slightly different radius to a 215/45/17

Alex

But, would it affect your Insurance if you had a serious crash ?

A long as the speed rating is the same or better than oem and that the width of the tyre is suitable for the width of the rim then no it shouldn't cause issues with insurance but it's always best to check

Alex

• 2 months later...

I am new to the avensis, so apologies for a NOOB question, but I can't see an answer anywhere on the forums. The standard fit on my 2.2 D4D is 215/50 17 these are limited in the range of options and those that are available are costly a 225/45 17 is around £30 a corner cheaper (for a decent branded tyre) has anyone tried running on 225/45's do they catch on the suspension or are they OK I appreciate the rolling radius is reduced by around 13mm so fuel consumption will suffer slightly.

Any info much appreciated

I don't see any reason they would catch on anything as they're slightly smaller, not larger.