Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hard Steering Wheel.

Toyolover

Hi I am new this forum but I guess I will get proper reply .

I have 2006 Avensis 2.4 I found the steering is not smooth like other Toyota Cars and need some extra power on your hands . I took her to service station and they comment its normal on Avensis .

Anyone have the same exp? Do I need to worry or is it normal?.

Thank You

Toyolover.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I also have a 2006 Toyota Avensis with the same problem. When i asked my mechanic at service. He said its normal. but it doesnt seem normal to me. My wife also complains of it being hard. Please let me know if you reach any solution

I don't know much but I would check some of the easy things like tyre pressures. Power steering fluid is it low or when was it last changed. Is the belt maybe slipping. Is the steering heavy at all speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

What size wheels are you guys running?

I have a diesel avensis running 16" wheels the steering is light. I have another one running 17" wheels this seems heavier but lightens up when on motorway.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2006 Toyota Avensis, with the same hard steering wheel problem. I also took it to a Toyota seller mechanic and they said that it was normal. This is bad for Avensis' worldwide. My next will not be an Avensis, suffice it to say.

11 minutes ago, AvensisOwner1 said:

I have a 2006 Toyota Avensis, with the same hard steering wheel problem. I also took it to a Toyota seller mechanic and they said that it was normal. This is bad for Avensis' worldwide. My next will not be an Avensis, suffice it to say.

Your profile says you have a 2014 Avensis as well as the 2006 mentioned! I would safely say that you would not buy previous generation Avensis again. 

My Mk3 Avensis has a light steering (215/55 x !7) like your 2014 model, so it must be an issue with a few Mk2s. I would take the mechanics "they are all like that" response with a pinch of salt. Did he test drive the car and do any check? If the wheel geometry is out, the steering can be heavier. There is castor which can effect the weight of the steering, camber, toe  in and out. All these can change the weight and feel of the steering. Worn components are another factor. These are old cars now!

When the car is moving at 30 mph, is the steering still heavy or a notchy feeling? If so I would jack the car up and see if the strut bearings are seizing or worn. With the wheels off the floor, does the wheel turn easily? If not then the rack or steering column has a problem. If it does turn easily, then the power steering is the problem. It is electric and you normally can hear it working, when doing slow manoeuvres!

A lot of clues to go on.  

the OP had a 2.4 & was non-UK, the 2nd poster again non-UK but no mention of engine size. It could be tyre-related or related to the 2.4 models only - not enough info to draw a conclusion.

Having had both a 2.2 D4D (heaviest engine afaik) T25 on 17" & a 2.2 D4D T27 on both 17" & 18" I wouldn't say that either has heavy steering.